Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sourcing smaller lawnmower pulley to speed the thing up

I don't mind cutting the grass, but the lawnmower goes at crawling
pace, I have taken off the drive pulley and its inner diameter 1.31
inches , 2.125 inches outer diameter 0.5 inch diameter. Its a v belt
and at the moment the belt does not rub on the centre of the pulley.
It looks like a 10mm hole in the centre, but with two flats to locate
on the shaft.
I want to put a smaller pulley on so the mower approaches walking
speed, but google is not my friend. The present one is two pressed
bits of steel riveted together.

any sources of pulleys?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
I don't mind cutting the grass, but the lawnmower goes at crawling
pace, I have taken off the drive pulley and its inner diameter 1.31
inches , 2.125 inches outer diameter 0.5 inch diameter. Its a v belt
and at the moment the belt does not rub on the centre of the pulley.
It looks like a 10mm hole in the centre, but with two flats to locate
on the shaft.
I want to put a smaller pulley on so the mower approaches walking
speed, but google is not my friend. The present one is two pressed
bits of steel riveted together.

any sources of pulleys?

Google for Bearing Boys.

V good mail order supplier but you will have to make your own flats in
the internal bore as that is non standard.
Relying on two grub screws will soon end in tears so don't even think
about that as an alternative.

Local engineering shop might put the specific hole in for you for beer
tokens.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:

I don't mind cutting the grass, but the lawnmower goes at crawling
pace, I have taken off the drive pulley and its inner diameter 1.31
inches , 2.125 inches outer diameter 0.5 inch diameter. Its a v belt
and at the moment the belt does not rub on the centre of the pulley.
It looks like a 10mm hole in the centre, but with two flats to locate
on the shaft.
I want to put a smaller pulley on so the mower approaches walking
speed, but google is not my friend. The present one is two pressed
bits of steel riveted together.

any sources of pulleys?

Is this the type of mower where the motor drives the cutting blades
and also (but independently) drives the wheels? If so, and if the
V belt you mean only affects the propulsion and not the blades, then
could you not simply leave the existing pulley alone, but leave the
V belt off? This would mean the mower is no longer self-propelling,
so you would need to supply the horizontal force yourself, but could
do it at whatever pace you pleased.

A word of warning, though. The thing is probably designed to have a
certain ratio of moving speed to cutting speed, and if you move too
fast, the cutting quality may suffer and look rough.

Consider getting a cheap and cheerful hover mower instead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:13:37 -0700, misterroy wrote:

I don't mind cutting the grass, but the lawnmower goes at crawling pace,
I have taken off the drive pulley and its inner diameter 1.31 inches ,
2.125 inches outer diameter 0.5 inch diameter. Its a v belt and at the
moment the belt does not rub on the centre of the pulley.

Are you sure the belt (or any kind of tensioner) isn't at fault? Or that
nothing's contaminated the pulley and is making things slip?

(the ones for my lawn tractor don't touch the middle hub portion of the
pulleys, by the way - all the friction comes from the 'sides' of the belt
and the inside edges of the pulley)

I do sort of know what you mean, though. I only used one of those self-
propelled small mowers once - it was really heavy and did seem to go far
too slowly for the speed I wanted to move at. Give me the tractor and a
plain old push-mower any day!

any sources of pulleys?

Do you have a farm supply place nearby? My local one has all manner of
farm / garden implement pulleys on the shelves.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 20, 5:32*pm, Ronald Raygun
wrote:
misterroy wrote:
[...]

Because its got a drive, which can be disengaged, the friction in the
drive gearbox generated pushing, you wind up slower than when you use
the drive. There must be some EU legislation stating the max speed of
a mower is somewhere near the speed at which I cease to function.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
misterroy wrote:
[...]

tyry adjusting the giovernor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

misterroy wrote:
I don't mind cutting the grass, but the lawnmower goes at crawling
pace, I have taken off the drive pulley and its inner diameter 1.31
inches , 2.125 inches outer diameter 0.5 inch diameter. Its a v belt
and at the moment the belt does not rub on the centre of the pulley.
It looks like a 10mm hole in the centre, but with two flats to locate
on the shaft.
I want to put a smaller pulley on so the mower approaches walking
speed, but google is not my friend. The present one is two pressed
bits of steel riveted together.

any sources of pulleys?

That will put a greater load on the motor - will that stand it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
[...]

The motor may not have enough torque to cope with a higher ratio - a bit
like expecting a car with a small engine to pull away in third gear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:12:59 +0100, John wrote:
The motor may not have enough torque to cope with a higher ratio - a bit
like expecting a car with a small engine to pull away in third gear.

Well, assuming you care about your clutch, too But you're right...

The lawn tractor got pretty bad when the belt started going - it was OK
one week, next time out it'd slip badly in third and wouldn't move in
higher gears at all, time after that it had problems moving even in
first. Not sure if that's typical of those kinds of belt drive, that
they're seemingly OK one minute and then fail very quickly.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 21, 12:06*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:12:59 +0100, John wrote:
The motor may not have enough torque to cope with a higher ratio - a bit
like expecting a car with a small engine to pull away in third gear.

Well, assuming you care about your clutch, too But you're right...

The lawn tractor got pretty bad when the belt started going - it was OK
one week, next time out it'd slip badly in third and wouldn't move in
higher gears at all, time after that it had problems moving even in
first. Not sure if that's typical of those kinds of belt drive, that
they're seemingly OK one minute and then fail very quickly.

cheers

Jules

It's a 5.5 hp mower, when the grass is getting a weekly cut it sshould
handle the extra effort for the increased speed. Been at the governor
already, tricky operation, did get the speed I'm after but the engine
was revving its head off, the governor is now back in its original
position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20 Sep, 19:03, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 09:13:37 -0700, misterroy wrote:
I don't mind cutting the grass, but the lawnmower goes at crawling pace,
I have taken off the drive pulley and its inner diameter 1.31 inches ,
2.125 inches outer diameter 0.5 inch diameter. Its a v belt and at the
moment the belt does not rub on the centre of the pulley.

Are you sure the belt (or any kind of tensioner) isn't at fault? Or that
nothing's contaminated the pulley and is making things slip?

(the ones for my lawn tractor don't touch the middle hub portion of the
pulleys, by the way - all the friction comes from the 'sides' of the belt
and the inside edges of the pulley)

That is how vee belts are intended to be. If they touch the bottom
they are worn and will slip.
I suggest the OP checks his vee belts if any for slipping/tension
before embarking on any major engineering experiments that will
probably end in didaster.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 21:12:59 +0100, John wrote:
The motor may not have enough torque to cope with a higher ratio - a bit
like expecting a car with a small engine to pull away in third gear.

Well, assuming you care about your clutch, too But you're right...

The lawn tractor got pretty bad when the belt started going - it was OK
one week, next time out it'd slip badly in third and wouldn't move in
higher gears at all, time after that it had problems moving even in
first. Not sure if that's typical of those kinds of belt drive, that
they're seemingly OK one minute and then fail very quickly.

Yes it is. Once they start to slip, they get very hot very quickly, and
the rubber turns into a gooey lubricant.

cheers

Jules