Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing Machine stopping during wash cycle

Our washing machine (Bosch Maxx WFL 245S) is stopping a minute or two
into the wash cycle.

Sequence is:

Ready light is on. Select wash temp. Press start.

Ready light goes off. Active light comes on.

Water pumped in. Drum spins a few times for a minute or two. Stops.

Active light off. Ready light on.

Selecting different temp makes no difference.

If I move it on to rinse or spin, that part of the cycle works fine.

Can anyone suggest what the likely fault / fix is?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:
Our washing machine (Bosch Maxx WFL 245S) is stopping a minute or two
into the wash cycle.

Sequence is:

Ready light is on. Select wash temp. Press start.

Ready light goes off. Active light comes on.

Water pumped in. Drum spins a few times for a minute or two. Stops.

Active light off. Ready light on.

Selecting different temp makes no difference.

If I move it on to rinse or spin, that part of the cycle works fine.

Can anyone suggest what the likely fault / fix is?

Thanks in advance.

possibly blocked waste, or stalled, or broken pump motor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:35:16 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

mike wrote:
Our washing machine (Bosch Maxx WFL 245S) is stopping a minute or two
into the wash cycle.

Sequence is:

Ready light is on. Select wash temp. Press start.

Ready light goes off. Active light comes on.

Water pumped in. Drum spins a few times for a minute or two. Stops.

Active light off. Ready light on.

Selecting different temp makes no difference.

If I move it on to rinse or spin, that part of the cycle works fine.

Can anyone suggest what the likely fault / fix is?

Same fault we had and it was the heater unit which needed replacing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2010 12:18, mike wrote:
Our washing machine (Bosch Maxx WFL 245S) is stopping a minute or two
into the wash cycle.

Sequence is:

Ready light is on. Select wash temp. Press start.

Ready light goes off. Active light comes on.

Water pumped in. Drum spins a few times for a minute or two. Stops.

Active light off. Ready light on.

Selecting different temp makes no difference.

If I move it on to rinse or spin, that part of the cycle works fine.

Can anyone suggest what the likely fault / fix is?

Could be a failed heater element - the program waits for the water to
reach temperature before continuing. If you can get to the heater
terminals then a DC resistance check will confirm.

Could well be the heater but I would expect agitation of the wash to
continue during the heating. I wonder if it is the water level sensor?
The initial fill water gets soaked into the clothes on first few turns
of the drum and then does not fill up any more for some reason? There is
usually a small plastic vessel attached to the drum which can fill up
with gunge.
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 14:05, Bob Minchin
wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2010 12:18, mike wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

Haynes Washing Machine Manual by Graham Dixon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...&condition=new

Doesn't cover every machine exactly but it gives general overviews of
possible problems and constructions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
Our washing machine (Bosch Maxx WFL 245S) is stopping a minute or two
into the wash cycle.

Sequence is:

Ready light is on. Select wash temp. Press start.

Ready light goes off. Active light comes on.

Water pumped in. Drum spins a few times for a minute or two. Stops.

Active light off. Ready light on.

Selecting different temp makes no difference.

If I move it on to rinse or spin, that part of the cycle works fine.

Can anyone suggest what the likely fault / fix is?

Thanks in advance.

Heater element not coming on. Most likely just dead: Or: the detector
that detects it coming on is not working. Or the timer is not turning on to
the setting that turns on the heater: a nudge would soon tell if this was
the case. (Check electric meter: it should whizz round when the element cuts
in.) Either because it is blown; a lead has fallen off or worn through (on
ours the leads come very close to the drive belt and if a heavy load causes
a jerk on starting the spin cycle, the belt can whip the lead off). In
turn, if the lead has come off because the machine is thrashing about, the
root cause could be one of the drum shock absorbers coming adrift. This was
the sequence with us:

....SWMBO insists on putting bath mat in machine despite the enormous thump
this causes when it goes on spin; shock of this snaps end of shock absorber
strut, making the thump even worse; belt catches end of element pulling off
leads. 'Fault' develops as yours. Muggins replaces wires more securely,
without noticing broken strut. Get by for a while but not knowing that
shock had also broken wire retainer inside drum that holds element down out
of the way, so end of element now being rubbed away by drum. Next, trip out
faults start and are eventually traced to element, which is replaced, but
soon the trip outs begin again. Luckily a piece of rust is found in water
filter which looks significant and turns out to be the end of the element
retaining spring. Then, tipping machine on side to get a better look,
exposes the fact that the damper strut is broken. Light at last dawns!

In the end I managed to make a much better element retainer from the screw
end of the old element, and drill the outer drum to mount it. Then the
second new element and a new strut are fitted. Problems solved. Then the
cooker element started similar games...

Have fun: and do get the Haynes manual - for next to nothing second hand on
Amazon, it is very handy at taking you logically through the fault tracing
process.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 12:18, mike wrote:
Our washing machine (Bosch Maxx WFL 245S) is stopping a minute or two
into the wash cycle.

Sequence is:

Ready light is on. Select wash temp. *Press start.

Ready light goes off. *Active light comes on.

Water pumped in. Drum spins a few times for a minute or two. *Stops.

Active light off. *Ready light on.

Selecting different temp makes no difference.

If I move it on to rinse or spin, that part of the cycle works fine.

Can anyone suggest what the likely fault / fix is?

Thanks in advance.

There are two pressure switches in your machine. One is to tell the
programmer that there is water in the machine before the heater can
come on and to tell the progrmmer the machine is empty of water before
it can spin.
The other is to control the water levels fro different washes.

1. check the heater continuity and if power is coming to it. If there
is power but no heat, the heater is US.

2. If there is no power, there are three possiblities.
(a) The thermostat is US. It works in the opposite sense to what you
might think. Ie closes on temp rise. (it sends a signal to the
programmer)
(b)The first mentioned pressure switch is faulty (two way action, test
out with continuity meter) Or, the airtube to it is leaking/
disconnected/blocked.
It can be worked by blowing into it while checking continuity with a
meter.
(c) The programme switch is US. Can only be checked by substitution
AFTER the above checks have been done.
Failing the above.
There is an open circuit in the wiring harness, Bugger find but
unusual.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the replies. Have just picked up the Washing Machine
Manual from the local library so will get on to it next week.