Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Howling gale in my loft!

There is a powerful draft up in my loft. I am well aware that a loft should
be ventilated, but if the wind whistles right through it's going to suck a
lot of heat out of the house in Winter. I've just added 170mm of rockrool
to the loft, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to cut down on the
breeze that's getting in. It's an old stone-built house (1850s) I can see
light getting in through some holes in the soffit at one place, and part of
the roof has no felt inside, so the wind gets in between the roof tiles
there. In the interest of thermal efficiency, should I block some of the
sources of the drafts?

Thanks

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
There is a powerful draft up in my loft. I am well aware that a loft should
be ventilated, but if the wind whistles right through it's going to suck a
lot of heat out of the house in Winter. I've just added 170mm of rockrool
to the loft, but I'm wondering if it would make sense to cut down on the
breeze that's getting in. It's an old stone-built house (1850s) I can see
light getting in through some holes in the soffit at one place, and part of
the roof has no felt inside, so the wind gets in between the roof tiles
there. In the interest of thermal efficiency, should I block some of the
sources of the drafts?

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Boarding, or simply plastic sheet maybe.

Fixing holes in eaves that were always built that way is a thankless
task IMHO.
Thanks

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:i6rbum$bqe$2
@news.albasani.net:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Boarding, or simply plastic sheet maybe.

Fixing holes in eaves that were always built that way is a thankless
task IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering how wind-proof rockwool is...
One thing I was thinking of covering the existing rockwool with the so-
called "space-blanket" rolls seen at B&Q - a layer of rockrool covered on
each sode by reflective plastic material.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:i6rbum$bqe$2
@news.albasani.net:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Boarding, or simply plastic sheet maybe.

Fixing holes in eaves that were always built that way is a thankless
task IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering how wind-proof rockwool is...
One thing I was thinking of covering the existing rockwool with the so-
called "space-blanket" rolls seen at B&Q - a layer of rockrool covered on
each sode by reflective plastic material.

Rockwool definitely loses efficacy in a howling gale, so do whatever it
takes.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 15, 9:56*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Agreed, and to increase it to at least 300mm.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On Sep 15, 9:56 pm, The Natural
wrote:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Agreed, and to increase it to at least 300mm.

Cheers
Richard

Something breathable would be better than ordinary plastic sheet to
reduce the risk of condensation forming and eventually rotting the
ceiling rafters.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 13:57, Bob Minchin
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Sep 15, 9:56 pm, The Natural
wrote:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Agreed, and to increase it to at least 300mm.

Cheers
Richard

Something breathable would be better than ordinary plastic sheet to
reduce the risk of condensation forming and eventually rotting the
ceiling rafters.

Bob

That's probably true. Having said that, in an ideal world one would
have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation, to stop warm moist
air rising into the loft space from the house.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 16, 3:31*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
That's probably true. Having said that, in an ideal world one would
have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation, to stop warm moist
air rising into the loft space from the house.

Often wondered, would Dulux Plaster Seal (interior) do sufficiently -
either on top of the ceiling or underneath where it is bare? There are
various other sealing products available, which can then be painted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
On 16 Sep, 13:57, Bob
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Sep 15, 9:56 pm, The Natural
wrote:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Agreed, and to increase it to at least 300mm.

Cheers
Richard

Something breathable would be better than ordinary plastic sheet to
reduce the risk of condensation forming and eventually rotting the
ceiling rafters.

Bob

That's probably true. Having said that, in an ideal world one would
have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation, to stop warm moist
air rising into the loft space from the house.

Cheers
Richard

yes that would be ideal but how many installers of extra insulation
think to add such a vapour barrier??

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 19:55, Bob Minchin
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On 16 Sep, 13:57, Bob
wrote:
geraldthehamster wrote:
On Sep 15, 9:56 pm, The Natural
wrote:

Better is to cover the insulation with something windproof.

Agreed, and to increase it to at least 300mm.

Cheers
Richard

Something breathable would be better than ordinary plastic sheet to
reduce the risk of condensation forming and eventually rotting the
ceiling rafters.

Bob

That's probably true. Having said that, in an ideal world one would
have a vapour barrier underneath the insulation, to stop warm moist
air rising into the loft space from the house.

Cheers
Richard

yes that would be ideal but how many installers of extra insulation
think to add such a vapour barrier??

Bob- Hide quoted text -

I should think approximately none, especially as it would involve
lifting old, filthy insulation. More of a practical proposition if you
are insulating for the first time, of course.

If you don't have it, then I think the earlier observation, about
making sure anything overlaid to prevent blowing around should be
pervious to moisture, is right. Though if you've used rolls of
insulation, just laying a few wooden battens around should hold it
down all right. Then again I've never been in the OP's loft.

Cheers
Richard

Cheers
Richard

Gale turntable [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 26th 10 12:30 PM
Loft insulation. Warm loft, colder bedrooms? [email protected] UK diy 2 October 27th 07 07:52 PM
loft daz5000 UK diy 8 October 24th 06 08:28 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM