Stereo plug coverters 6.3mm to 3.5mm

Old September 13th 10, 05:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stereo plug coverters 6.3mm to 3.5mm

I happen to have a quite decent pair of Sennheiser HD 25 SP headphones.
Unfortunately they have the larger 6.3mm plug which doesn't fit much these
days apart from older component stero systems.

Now converters from 3.5mm plugs to 6.3mm plugs work quite well because the
smaller plug fits inside the larger plug which fits into a big socket.

However converting the other way is not so good, as you have a large plug
into a large socket hanging off a small plug into a small socket.
I have tried several different converted plugs over the years but never
found a realy good one.

What would work much better would be a short extension with a 3.5mm plug and
a 6.3mm socket.
However Google is not being my friend and although I can find a lot of
converter plugs I cannot find a converter lead.

Before I consider the possibilities of making up one myself has anyone seeen
such a beast?

URLs welcome :-)

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old September 13th 10, 05:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2010 16:14, David WE Roberts wrote:
What would work much better would be a short extension with a 3.5mm plug
and a 6.3mm socket.
However Google is not being my friend and although I can find a lot of
converter plugs I cannot find a converter lead.

Before I consider the possibilities of making up one myself has anyone
seeen such a beast?

http://www.dv247.com/cables/proel-1-...n-cable--24727

My Sennheisers unplug at the headphone end - do yours?
Old September 13th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
On 13/09/2010 16:14, David WE Roberts wrote:
What would work much better would be a short extension with a 3.5mm plug
and a 6.3mm socket.
However Google is not being my friend and although I can find a lot of
converter plugs I cannot find a converter lead.

Before I consider the possibilities of making up one myself has anyone
seeen such a beast?

http://www.dv247.com/cables/proel-1-...n-cable--24727

My Sennheisers unplug at the headphone end - do yours?

Thanks - nothing like posting that you can't find something to aid you in
finding it immediately afterwards.
I found a Grado extension at as couple of places, including
https://www.beststuff.co.uk/.
More expensive than the cheapest I found but perhaps it is decent quality.

I don't think the cables unplug - I have a red (for right) and black (for
left) tag which fit into the body of the phones which could conceivably come
out with a sharp tug.
However without a very strong assurance that this was part of the design I
will not be attempting it ;-)

I bought these in a sale and I suspected that they were cheap because they
were the old model with the 6.3mm jack instead of the newer model with the
3.5mm jack.
However I have just checked and the SP and the SP II both seem to have 6.3mm
jacks.
So at under 30 they were something of a bargain!

Old September 13th 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim" wrote in message
On 13/09/2010 16:55, David WE Roberts wrote:
My Sennheisers unplug at the headphone end - do yours?

Thanks - nothing like posting that you can't find something to aid you
in finding it immediately afterwards.
I found a Grado extension at as couple of places, including
https://www.beststuff.co.uk/.
More expensive than the cheapest I found but perhaps it is decent
quality.

I don't think the cables unplug - I have a red (for right) and black
(for left) tag which fit into the body of the phones which could
conceivably come out with a sharp tug.
However without a very strong assurance that this was part of the design
I will not be attempting it ;-)

Heh. I did find this:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/senn...odid-1146.html

But it seems to be more expensive than the price you paid for the
headphones...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140451271162
Getting more tempting at 29.99...

Old September 15th 10, 12:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 13, 4:14*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
[...]

A 1/4" plug doesnt work well with a rigid 1/8" adaptor
It doesnt work well with a plug-flex-socket adaptor either, as the
adaptor gets misplaced.
Replacing 1/4" with 1/8" plug also doesnt work well because the
contact integrity of 1/8" jacks is dreadful.

So what does work? Adding a 2nd plug to the headphones. It can be
wired in to the 1/4" jack plug. Now you dont use an adaptor, cant lose
anything, no weight issues, and will never have contact issues when
using the bigger plug.

NT
Old September 15th 10, 02:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
On 13/09/2010 16:55, David WE Roberts wrote:
My Sennheisers unplug at the headphone end - do yours?

Thanks - nothing like posting that you can't find something to aid
you in finding it immediately afterwards.
I found a Grado extension at as couple of places, including
https://www.beststuff.co.uk/.
More expensive than the cheapest I found but perhaps it is decent
quality.

I don't think the cables unplug - I have a red (for right) and black
(for left) tag which fit into the body of the phones which could
conceivably come out with a sharp tug.
However without a very strong assurance that this was part of the
design I will not be attempting it ;-)

Heh. I did find this:

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/senn...odid-1146.html

But it seems to be more expensive than the price you paid for the
headphones...

Thanks for the link anyway.
If I hadn't found an adapter cable I might have considered this.
If the solution doesn't work i might still consider this.
The picture does show the small connectors very nicely - a design
feature which could benefit other headphones, I think.
I WILL NOT take the connectors out.....I WILL NOT take the connectors
out......

Why not just solder on one of these?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Quality-G...item3f0095400d

Old September 17th 10, 02:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Jim" wrote in message
On 13/09/2010 16:14, David WE Roberts wrote:
What would work much better would be a short extension with a 3.5mm plug
and a 6.3mm socket.
However Google is not being my friend and although I can find a lot of
converter plugs I cannot find a converter lead.

Before I consider the possibilities of making up one myself has anyone
seeen such a beast?

http://www.dv247.com/cables/proel-1-...n-cable--24727

My Sennheisers unplug at the headphone end - do yours?

Thanks - nothing like posting that you can't find something to aid you in
finding it immediately afterwards.
I found a Grado extension at as couple of places, including
https://www.beststuff.co.uk/.
More expensive than the cheapest I found but perhaps it is decent quality.

snip

Cable turned up packaged in a very fancy heat sealed black plastic envelope.
All very smart, with 'Grado Prestige Mini Adapter Cable' written on it.

I am very pleased with it so far - good sound quality and no obvious
problems, so much better than the plug adapters.

A replacement cable would be smarter and neater but I can't justify the
extra cost at the moment :-)