Lidl Compressor

Old September 10th 10, 12:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Compressor

Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at 80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 10th 10, 12:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

snip
:
: I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this
looks
: like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.
:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Old September 10th 10, 12:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Sep, 11:48, Huge wrote:

How useful is it

Very. Another one of those "how did I manage without this" tools.

Mine looks very similar to the Lidl one.

what have you done/managed to do/failed to do with it?

Cheers
Jim K
Old September 10th 10, 01:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-09-10, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at 80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one?

An air compressor? Me.

And me (4 actually).

I've a 50l / 15cfm jobby when I really need some air and don't mind
the noise and a Bambi / Wolf 25l / 2cfm hybrid that is virtually
silent when I need a bit of air and want it without the need for
earplugs (or it's late).

Then I have the lightweight oil-free portable (240V) jobby that is
handy for blowing the dust out of stuff and tire inflation and a
similar pump on a 25l reservoir that the daughter uses up in Scotland,
mainly for the blowgun and tyre inflator.

Very handy when used with a rattle gun, air gun and tyre inflator.

Cheers, T i m
Old September 10th 10, 02:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

I've got a Bostitch of about the same size. It's main use day-to-day
is as a blow-off gun for quickly clearing dust and debris away from a
work area, but I also use it to drive a nailer and for occasional air-
brush use.

dan.
Old September 10th 10, 03:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2010 11:54, Jerry wrote:
"Roger wrote in message

snip
:
: I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this
looks
: like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.
:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...

The truth is that I don't really know! It may be the case of a solution
looking for a problem - or a case of let's get one and see what I can do
with it! Hence my request for other people's experiences.

I guess that primarily I would use it for inflating tyres and blowing
dirt off things. I might get attachments such as a nail gun and/or
impact driver - and possibly sand blaster. I don't expect to do much -
if any - paint spraying.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 10th 10, 04:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:56:44 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

It does not spec a free air delivery or input power,

Funny the page I see says "Air displacement (1lr/min): 270" that's
about 9.5 cfm but it doesn't say if that is free air or not. The item
is called "2.5HP Air Compressor" so I'd guess it's a 2.5HP jobbie.
B-)

It has auto switching which some of the bargain basement ones lack.

But I don't see any mention of that on the page I see. Weird.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old September 10th 10, 04:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
: On 10/09/2010 11:54, Jerry wrote:
: "Roger wrote in message
: ...
:
: snip
: :
[...]

The Lidil compressor should be fine for the first three uses
(providing that you are not planning to 'nail for Britain' in a
house building competition. Both impact and most certainly sand
blasting could be a problem if used constantly as it doesn't have
a very large (24lt) tank capacity, and thus you would be more
reliant on the displacement of the actual compressor (the Air
Displacement figure). That said, for the price, this unit should
be good to get started if used sensibly. Always wear eye
protection is using a compressed air supply for blowing dirt
off/out of things, the average elf and safety inspector frowns on
such use for understandable reasons!
--
Regards, Jerry.

Old September 10th 10, 06:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 10, 11:41*am, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressorhttp://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_uk/hs.xsl/index_13876.htmon offer
at 80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

With compressors they can never have too much free air delivery or too
big a receiver :-).

I've just bought a new one -- the biggest I could get that would be on
wheels and would run off a 13 amp socket. 200 litre receiver and
huge starting capacitors and an automatic decompressor to allow an
easy start. And belt driven.

As has been pointed out to you, small compressors don't have much
puff. And direct-drive oilless compressors don't tend to last as
long. However, there are some jobs for which being able to bring the
compressor to the job is very important and providing the tool is
small and of low consumption, they'll do fine for occasional use.

Pneumatic nailers and (especially) staplers are brilliant tools.

As someone else has pointed out, air tools are delightful to handle,
cheap and generally quite well made. With no electric motor they're
compact and reliable.

The Lidl compressor is probably a good enough buy if you regard it as
a "taster" to see whether air tools are for you.

John MacLeod
Old September 10th 10, 06:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 10/09/2010 11:41, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at 80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

It actually looks quite reasonable - a 25L receiver is about the
minimum size for getting useful amounts of work done in a range of
applications. It does not spec a free air delivery or input power, but
from the displacement I should guess its about 1 to 1.5 hp. It has auto
switching which some of the bargain basement ones lack.

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this size?

I have a similar spec SIP unit, and use if for a reasonable range of
jobs including: nail guns (framing and 18g brad), tyre inflation, blow
gun (dusting, and inflating low pressure stuff!), medium sized spray
gun which I used for furniture finishing, impact wrench, plus a couple
of less often used things.

Its not going to be well suited to jobs that need continuous supply of
lots of air like running some rotating air tools, or bigger spraying
jobs.

My weatherboarding garage has a surface area of 60 square metres. Sounds
like a biggish job to me. What would happen if I were to use the Lidl
compressor to spray it with timber treatment? Would it run out of puff
after a few sq m, or would it keep going for an hour or so?

The house (semi-detached part of a converted barn) is even bigger. One
of these day's I'll measure it and frighten myself at the cost of
treating it.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!

Lidl SDS Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 0 April 13th 10 11:38 PM
That Lidl SDS ... Gordon Henderson UK diy 16 September 15th 09 06:12 PM
Lidl by Lidl The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 January 8th 09 05:25 PM
SDS @ Lidl cupra UK diy 0 July 13th 06 01:15 PM
DIY at Lidl Mary Fisher UK diy 1 January 20th 05 03:34 PM