Lidl Compressor

Old September 10th 10, 09:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl Compressor

On 10/09/10 11:41, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Anyone else notice the box at the left of the page: "Similar Items -
Men’s Socks" !!!

Old September 10th 10, 09:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
message
ll.co.uk...

snip
:
: Still not a very strong hook...
:

I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage
before" moment and when you can't have access to air tools you
realise just how much of a bummer it is without - in the same way
that it's quite possible to live without the electric drill but
how many would chose to?!...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Old September 10th 10, 09:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2010 21:29, Jerry wrote:
"Dave wrote in
message
ll.co.uk...

snip
:
: Still not a very strong hook...
:

I can tell you, having access to air tools is a "How did I manage
before" moment and when you can't have access to air tools you
realise just how much of a bummer it is without - in the same way
that it's quite possible to live without the electric drill but
how many would chose to?!...

I'm sure you're right! For the sake of the un-initiated (like me!) would
you care to elaborate on the advantages of air tools over
electrically-driven equivalents?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old September 11th 10, 08:30 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Minchin
writes
John Rumm wrote:
On 10/09/2010 17:50, Peter Twydell wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 10/09/2010 11:41, Roger Mills wrote:
Lidl have this compressor
http://lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_...ndex_13876.htm on offer
at £80 next Thursday.

Is it likely to be any good? [It's quite a lot cheaper than a (roughly)
equivalent jobbie from the likes of Machine Mart].

It actually looks quite reasonable - a 25L receiver is about the
minimum size for getting useful amounts of work done in a range of
applications. It does not spec a free air delivery or input power, but
from the displacement I should guess its about 1 to 1.5 hp. It has
auto switching which some of the bargain basement ones lack.

I've often toyed with the idea of having a compressor - so this looks
like a possible opportunity to 'stick my toe in the water'.

How many of you own one? How useful is it - particularly one of this
size?

I have a similar spec SIP unit, and use if for a reasonable range of
jobs including: nail guns (framing and 18g brad), tyre inflation, blow
gun (dusting, and inflating low pressure stuff!), medium sized spray
gun which I used for furniture finishing, impact wrench, plus a couple
of less often used things.

Its not going to be well suited to jobs that need continuous supply of
lots of air like running some rotating air tools, or bigger spraying
jobs.

My weatherboarding garage has a surface area of 60 square metres. Sounds
like a biggish job to me. What would happen if I were to use the Lidl
compressor to spray it with timber treatment? Would it run out of puff
after a few sq m, or would it keep going for an hour or so?

Since its 2.5hp, then a free aid delivery of 7 cfm seems plausible -
that will run a fair size spray gun. Its rare to keep the trigger held
down for that long at a time anyway when spraying, so there are natural
breaks to allow it to recharge. I can't see 60m^2 being much problem in
that sense. (although for wood preserver a pump up garden sprayer is
probably as good or better - you don't normally need the fine
atomisation (and hence fine finish achievable) of a high presure sprayer
for that.

The house (semi-detached part of a converted barn) is even bigger. One
of these day's I'll measure it and frighten myself at the cost of
treating it.

Just don't spray on a windy day, else you will be treating the
neighbourhood at the same time!

An HVLP sprayer would be much better for this sort of job. The blower
is light weight and hangs off your shoulder on a strap with just a
mains lead to tow behind you. I was quite pleased with the performance
power one from B&Q - about £50 4 years ago.
I expect they still do them maybe with a different badge.

Bob

That sounds like a much better idea.

I've also got a number of radiators to paint, not to mention the 80+
metres of fencing that I did a few years ago with a Cuprinol hand-pumped
sprayer. The Earlex video on the Screwfix site is quite persuasive.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Old September 11th 10, 10:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 11, 8:52*am, Jim K wrote:
On 11 Sep, 07:31, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
http://www.northerntooluk.com

poss. favorite in carlisle?

Jim K

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern
Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its
origins and the original reason for the name.

One of the nasties, in fact, which makes a point of refusing to
deliver to the Northern half of the UK except at the most punitive of
rates, even for northern mainland deliveries. Northern Tool may not
be the worst at concealing the charge, but they certainly pile on the
freight charges worse than most -- often at the rate of 50-100% of the
cost of the goods.

I never have worked out exactly how it can be legal for some companies
to exclude from their definition of "UK Mainland" an area which is the
size of Belgium. Either it's mainland or it's not mainland. Lies
don't help or change facts. And who wants to trust companies who
aren't honest or truthful with regard to carriage charges? My
quarrel is not with the right of companies to restrict the area within
which they're prepared to trade, but rather with companies which
distort the terms and conditions of trade in their catalogues and
advertising material.

Rant over. Sorry for hijacking thread :-)
Old September 11th 10, 10:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
http://www.northerntooluk.com

poss. favorite in carlisle?

Jim K

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern
Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its
origins and the original reason for the name.

they're US based aren't they? Jules?

[...]

no probs -
twas only my attempt at jest ;)

I've never bought from them yet they send me crapalogues every now and
then with ludicrous pricing annd shipping, (doubtless aimed at
"corporates" and "council jobsworths" who believe themselves to be
"worth it"; and/or to allow "sales" with fakey "discounts" (a la
Draper) now and again).

Anyone have any good experiences with this lot ? wonder what their
turnover is? annd who pays those eyewatering prices/delivery scams?

Cheers
Jim K
Old September 11th 10, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

How many of you own one?

An air compressor? Me.

AOL

How useful is it

Very.

AOL

I now have three compressors. A large diesel-powered one for use on the
farm, it's a 15cfm unit and it's essential for powering farm tools. I
also have a compressor like the Lidl unit which I bought for use at home
because I realised how much I missed using the air tools once I didn't
have access to a compressor.

I don't know why, but I find my air drill and air chisel to be more
"handy" than electric versions of the same tools.

Old September 11th 10, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Jerry wrote:

Before anyone can answer your questions you need to tell us what
you intend to do with the compressor, inflating your car tyres,
using a nail gun or repainting a car or house all need different
spec's of compressors...

Err no. That's balls.

Simply size the compressor to the tool that makes the greatest demand
for air. Stating that the tools all need different specs of compressors
is utter crap.

As usual from you.
Old September 11th 10, 12:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I love the idea of buying one of these for "blowing the dirt off
things"... I fear SWMBO might require a little more justification than
that... ;-)

One of the more demanding uses for a compressor is to use an air/water
gun for high pressure car washing. Compared to the Kärcher type of
electric pressure washers these guns are cheap and effective. They need
a lot of air though, I can only use the one I bought for washing the
tractor with the largest compressor that I own.

I note that the prices of all these things have rocketed recently. My
diesel compressor cost about £400. Current versions are around £1600. I
presume this is the rising cost of steel and the falling value of the
pound at work.
Old September 11th 10, 12:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
John MacLeod writes
wrote:
http://www.northerntooluk.com

poss. favorite in carlisle?

Jim K

Innuendo aside,and apoologies for hijacking the thread, but Northern
Tool is most certainly not a Northern company, no matter what its
origins and the original reason for the name.

One of the nasties, in fact, which makes a point of refusing to
deliver to the Northern half of the UK except at the most punitive of
rates, even for northern mainland deliveries. Northern Tool may not
be the worst at concealing the charge, but they certainly pile on the
freight charges worse than most -- often at the rate of 50-100% of the
cost of the goods.

Are you talking of the highlands and islands?

Its not the tool company, its the couriers who charge the delivery rates

--
geoff

Lidl SDS Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 0 April 13th 10 10:38 PM
That Lidl SDS ... Gordon Henderson UK diy 16 September 15th 09 05:12 PM
Lidl by Lidl The Medway Handyman UK diy 5 January 8th 09 04:25 PM
SDS @ Lidl cupra UK diy 0 July 13th 06 12:15 PM
DIY at Lidl Mary Fisher UK diy 1 January 20th 05 02:34 PM