Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Default Leaking Parker ball pen

I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

If there aren't any plastic parts, then lacquer thinner and pipe
cleaners. Otherwise use rubbing alcohol, which won't harm the plastic,
but doesn't dissolve the ink as well.
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john hamilton wrote:
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even
though it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

nail polish remover and pipe cleaners / q-tips / cotton wool

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

At current prices vodka from the local Tesco should work out cheaper it
should be equally effective and can be put to other uses.

Methylated spirit would do equally well is it wasn't for the smell
which again is why vodka is so popular.

michael adams

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 21:09:21 +0100, john hamilton wrote:
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

soak it in gasoline
light it

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks
for advice.

Used to be that they would repair them. Try contacting Parker.

Never had one leak in the 45+ years I've used them, but it can happen, I
guess. If it was not upside down, I can't imagine what would cause it to
happen. I'd look for a crack in the refill.

Service Department
2333 N. Sumac Drive
Janesville WI 53545

email them at:

This warranty is granted by PARKER and applies in the US and Canada.
Your PARKER® writing instrument is guaranteed for two years from the date of
original purchase against defects in materials or workmanship. If found to
be defective
within the warranty period, your PARKER® product will be repaired or
replaced free of
charge. This warranty may be extended by registering your PARKER® writing
instrument at
www.parkerpen.com

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

john hamilton wrote:
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

Alcohol(dont drink it).
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

I've found alcohol "dry gas" works nicely on ball pen ink. You can
either try to swab it out with Q-tips, or soak the pen barrel in
alcohol.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even
though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out?
Thanks for
advice.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

/
"geoff" wrote in message ...
In message , michael adams
writes

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

About £5/litre

The last time I bought any it cost £6.99 for 500ml, well over twice
that. The label is still on the bottle. With store chemists who
actually stock it being thin on the ground, you have to take what
you can find.

While it may be cheaper in bulk, isopropyl alcohol is highly
inflammable. And so buying a litre or more for occasional use
in cleaning tape heads and the like, is not only hazardous
but probably a false economy as well. Unless that is, additional
uses can be found for it.

michael adams

At current prices vodka from the local Tesco should work out cheaper it
should be equally effective and can be put to other uses.

Methylated spirit would do equally well is it wasn't for the smell
which again is why vodka is so popular.

--
geoff

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In message , michael adams
writes
/
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes

[...]

It is the only other alcohol, other than ethyl, that is not poisonous to
drink

12 litres last me about 3 months

Ah £5.61/l for 12 litres

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...t/dp/SA01885?i
n_merch=Featured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001

--
geoff
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

michael adams wrote:
/
"geoff" wrote in message ...
In message , michael adams
writes
"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.
Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

About Ā£5/litre

The last time I bought any it cost Ā£6.99 for 500ml, well over twice
that. The label is still on the bottle. With store chemists who
actually stock it being thin on the ground, you have to take what
you can find.

While it may be cheaper in bulk, isopropyl alcohol is highly
inflammable. And so buying a litre or more for occasional use
in cleaning tape heads and the like, is not only hazardous
but probably a false economy as well. Unless that is, additional
uses can be found for it.

Its the main constituent in windscreen antifreeze IIRC.
Its not that inflammable, and there are dozens of DIY uses for it.

Cleaning computer keyboards is one. :-)

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

geoff wrote:

It is the only other alcohol, other than ethyl, that is not poisonous to
drink

12 litres last me about 3 months

So, have you been to AA yet?

:-)
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:50:16 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

/
"geoff" wrote in message ...
In message , michael adams
writes

[...]

buy from ebay. The postage is more than the cost of 5L of IPA. 99%
stuff.

We use it for cleaning and it is good for killing flies at the moment.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In article ,
"michael adams" wrote:

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

IPA is a dollar a pint in the U.S. IOW, about the same as bottled water.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:50:16 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

/
"geoff" wrote in message ...
In message , michael adams
writes

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks for
advice.

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

About £5/litre

The last time I bought any it cost £6.99 for 500ml, well over twice
that. The label is still on the bottle. With store chemists who

That's amazing. The last time I bought some it was 70% isopropyl
alcohol and it was about 2 dollars for a pint, 473 ml.

That was about 2 months ago. I thought I would need to get the oil
soot out of my computer, but the stuff turned out to not be sticky,
and will blow right off what ever it is sitting on, or be sucked off
with a vacuum cleaner.

actually stock it being thin on the ground, you have to take what
you can find.

While it may be cheaper in bulk, isopropyl alcohol is highly
inflammable. And so buying a litre or more for occasional use
in cleaning tape heads and the like, is not only hazardous
but probably a false economy as well. Unless that is, additional
uses can be found for it.
michael adams

Don't they make little stoves or lamps that run on this stuff?
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"geoff" wrote in message ...
In message , michael adams
writes
/
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes

[...]

Handy Hint no 387:

"Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol

So if you're clean out of acetone but have plenty of IPA handy
you can always make your own. Just make sure you wear gloves
when handling the stuff, and don't spill any on anything plastic
- such as vinyl floor tiles and toilet seats.

12 litres last me about 3 months

Ah £5.61/l for 12 litres

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc...t/dp/SA01885?i
n_merch=Featured%20Products&MER=e-bb45-00001001

Ah, but us ordinary punters can't reclaim the VAT and would only be buying
one at a time so that makes it £7.23/ per litre plus a £5.95 handling charge
which comes out at £14.18 per litre. Which in total works out at exactly 20p
more than...guess what ?

michael adams

geoff

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"michael adams" wrote in message

"geoff" wrote in message ...
In message , michael adams
writes
/
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes

[...]

Er no. That comes to £13.18 per litre

Which in total works out at exactly 20p
more than...guess what ?

Something costing £12.98 per litre ?

michael adams

michael adams

geoff

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"michael adams" wrote:

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

IPA is a dollar a pint in the U.S. IOW, about the same as bottled water.

You must be buying some really special water.

I've been getting my Poland Springs water at less than $0.13 per pint
bottle - 24 pints for $3 (not taxed here & no bottle deposit).
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

In article ,
Clams wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"michael adams" wrote:

Isopropyl alcohol, obtainable from a store chemist but quite expensive.

IPA is a dollar a pint in the U.S. IOW, about the same as bottled water.

You must be buying some really special water.

I've been getting my Poland Springs water at less than $0.13 per pint
bottle - 24 pints for $3 (not taxed here & no bottle deposit).

Actually, I buy drinking water for $0.35/gallon, IOW ~ $0.04/pint. But,
in the typical convenience store, a single bottle runs about $1. My
point, of course, isn't that water is expensive, but that IPA is cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geoff wrote:

It is the only other alcohol, other than ethyl, that is not poisonous
to drink
12 litres last me about 3 months

So, have you been to AA yet?

Buggroff

I'm not sharing with anyone

--
geoff
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even though
it's not been stored upside down.

It's very sticky inside. Is there any good way to clean it out? Thanks
for advice.

Whilst not wishing to spoil the enthusiastic discussion of the properties
and prices of IPA - which is less flammable than meths, and to me used to be
cheaper than chips as I used to pump it into 25L drums, as a general cleaner
in the print trade - I should point out that, as ballpoint ink is *oil
based*, readers probably already have a cheaper cleaner in their cupboard
already: white spirit. I think the preference for IPA in 'the trade' is as
much for its quick evaporation as anything. It does dissolve both polar and
non polar substances, but I doubt if it is as effective, for an oil based
(non-polar) ink, as a non polar solvent (white spirit, paraffin, petrol etc)
would be. As I've noted before, every DIYer should keep a selection of the
various types of solvent to hand, so you can always find the right 'tool'
for the job.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 18:22:25 +0000,
(DA) wrote:

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/cleanin...pen-10625-.htm
DA wrote:

john hamilton wrote:

I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even
though it's not been stored upside down.

Could have been a bad OEM cartridge i.e. Parker-compatible instead of
Parker. That or you can no longer trust anyone's quality [sigh] Toyota's
recent debacle comes to mind.

I believe Parker 'ink' pens are now made in France 8-(((

I don't know about their cartridges since I use a refillable (from an
ink bottle!) insert-thing, but Quink is also French, according a quick
glance under the bottle.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

DA wrote:

john hamilton wrote:

I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even
though it's not been stored upside down.

Could have been a bad OEM cartridge i.e. Parker-compatible instead of
Parker. That or you can no longer trust anyone's quality [sigh] Toyota's
recent debacle comes to mind.

I believe Parker 'ink' pens are now made in France 8-(((

I don't know about their cartridges since I use a refillable (from an
ink bottle!) insert-thing, but Quink is also French, according a quick
glance under the bottle.

--
Frank Erskine

If, like most people nowadays, you are doing most of your writing via a
keyboard, and adopt a pen only for cards and signatures, you will probably
find your fountain pen, and even good old Rotring, need cleaning out every
time you want to use them. You may find, as I have, that good old fashioned
dip pens with a good selection of nibs, and a range of small bottles of
coloured inks, are actually more convenient and fun to write with. They
only need a wipe with a tissue between uses. A dip mapping pen is still
excellent for fine lines too.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 01:05:28 +0100, "Spamlet"
wrote:

.. .

DA wrote:

john hamilton wrote:

I thought Parker ball pens were not supposed to leak, mine has even
though it's not been stored upside down.

Could have been a bad OEM cartridge i.e. Parker-compatible instead of
Parker. That or you can no longer trust anyone's quality [sigh] Toyota's
recent debacle comes to mind.

I believe Parker 'ink' pens are now made in France 8-(((

I don't know about their cartridges since I use a refillable (from an
ink bottle!) insert-thing, but Quink is also French, according a quick
glance under the bottle.

--
Frank Erskine

If, like most people nowadays, you are doing most of your writing via a
keyboard, and adopt a pen only for cards and signatures, you will probably
find your fountain pen, and even good old Rotring, need cleaning out every
time you want to use them.

I think I do more writing with an 'ink' pen, and real Cumberland 3H
pencils... I try not to be like "most people".

You may find, as I have, that good old fashioned
dip pens with a good selection of nibs, and a range of small bottles of
coloured inks, are actually more convenient and fun to write with. They
only need a wipe with a tissue between uses. A dip mapping pen is still
excellent for fine lines too.

I have to admit that I haven't used a 'dip' pen for a wee while. Or my
Rotring - probably since college days...

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:50:16 +0100, "michael adams"
wrote:

/
"geoff" wrote in message
In message , michael adams
writes

[...]

Nope, thats metho.

Posted to alt.home.cleaning,misc.consumers.frugal-living,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

wrote:

. ..

DA wrote:

john hamilton wrote:

[...]

Try it: you will like it. Sadly, I used to use Rotring and similar pens all
the time, as I never could find a biro that wrote fine enough and where the
ink didn't stay tacky and leave blobs everywhere. As the fine writing
problem is now mostly resolved via Excel and Word tables and diagrams, my
Rotrings are always dried up solid when I would like to use them, and the
little wires inside tend to break off in the cleaning. The dip mapping pen
is a fair substitute.

Frank Erskine