A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 5th 10, 09:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?


Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

Thanks for any advice.

Gareth
Ads
  #2  
Old August 5th 10, 10:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,231
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?


Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David
  #3  
Old August 5th 10, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,702
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

Lobster wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from
plasterboard walls?


Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David


I agree with that.

--
Adam


  #4  
Old August 5th 10, 10:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,199
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

On 05/08/2010 22:41, Lobster wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?


Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David


Indeed. Plasterboard is very cheap. You're unlikely to achieve a
re-useable surface after removing tiles, so far easier to replace.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
checked.
  #5  
Old August 5th 10, 11:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?


On 05/08/2010 22:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2010 21:38, Gareth wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?


For what purpose?


Currently my bathroom is tiled ~halfway up the walls on all four walls.
This is not high enough to prevent water getting onto untiled parts of
the wall when taking a shower, I would therefore like to remove the
tiles and tile all the way up to the ceiling around the bath. The
current tiles are also a bit too dark for my liking.

If they are well stuck and you want to re-tile, then
abrade them with coarse glass paper and tile over.


Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.

To remove, you may have luck with a SDS tile chisel. At best the wall
will probably need a reskim, at worst new plasterboard!




  #6  
Old August 5th 10, 11:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 101
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?


On 05/08/2010 22:55, Roger Mills wrote:
On 05/08/2010 22:41, Lobster wrote:
Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?


Usually best not to bother or try... just rip the tiled plasterboard
down and replace.

David


Indeed. Plasterboard is very cheap. You're unlikely to achieve a
re-useable surface after removing tiles, so far easier to replace.


Thanks for the suggestions.

  #7  
Old August 5th 10, 11:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,601
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

Gareth wrote:
Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

Thanks for any advice.

Gareth

New plasterboard?
  #8  
Old August 5th 10, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 97
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

Gareth wrote:
On 05/08/2010 22:55, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/08/2010 21:38, Gareth wrote:

Does anyone have any tips for removing ceramic tiles from plasterboard
walls?

For what purpose?


Currently my bathroom is tiled ~halfway up the walls on all four walls.
This is not high enough to prevent water getting onto untiled parts of
the wall when taking a shower, I would therefore like to remove the
tiles and tile all the way up to the ceiling around the bath. The
current tiles are also a bit too dark for my liking.


That's the same setup as my bathroom. A lump hammer and cold chisel
worked fine for me. It took a few lumps out of the plasterboard, but
there was still plenty left to stick the new tiles to.

Cheers,

Colin.
  #9  
Old August 6th 10, 12:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 108
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?

On 05/08/2010 in message
Gareth wrote:

Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.


When I had that problem some years back I sloped the first row of tiles
and then went straight up. It hardly noticed and was easy to keep clean.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who do binary and those
who don't.
  #10  
Old August 6th 10, 08:56 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,288
Default Removing ceramic tiles from Plasterboard walls?


"Gareth" wrote


Thanks, a good suggestion if all the area I wanted to tile was already
tiled but with the way it is currently this would result in a small step
1/2 way up the wall.

I got the upper half of the wall skimmed (with bonding plaster) to level
with the face of the lower tiles - then tile over the resulting flat
surface.
As previously mentioned, worth roughening the surface of the tiles on the
lower half of the wall.
Use decent adhesive for tiles-on-tiles - I used BAL White Star.

Phil


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stick ceramic tiles straight onto thinnish plasterboard? AL_z UK diy 18 July 23rd 10 05:07 PM
Removing ceramic tiles in the kitchen (to lay floorboards) ODB Home Repair 4 March 31st 07 06:20 PM
repairing plasterboard after removing tiles [email protected] UK diy 2 August 7th 06 08:11 PM
cork tiles onto ceramic tiles? Pete UK diy 1 April 29th 05 12:31 AM
removing tiles from plasterboard fireblade UK diy 1 August 4th 03 08:09 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.