Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ordering and fitting a new radiator

OK, not a big job, but...

I have a 600x1400 type 11 that I'd like to replace with a type 21 (don't
want to go to 22 as space is limited). The 11 will go in another room.

The pipes are soldered in and cunningly bent, so getting them to reach the
extra distance from the wall (~20mm) can't be done by just bending them.
I don't own a torch and have never needed one at home, so am reluctant to
buy one (if I do have to, what's a good one that's not too expensive?).

Are Stelrad OK? (SF has an offer on Kudox Premium, but these go to only
1200mm :-( ). I've found this one
http://www.plumbtraders.co.uk/produc...rs-600-1400-p/

and ISTR that the suppliers site was mentioned in this group.

Now, I've heard of rads. being delivered somewahat the worse for the
experience, so is it 'safe' to get one delivered rather than fetching it? I
suppose it depends on the supplier, packaging and, of course, the vandroid.

Thanks.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 15:50:36 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 27/07/2010 14:43, PeterC wrote:
OK, not a big job, but...

I have a 600x1400 type 11 that I'd like to replace with a type 21 (don't
want to go to 22 as space is limited). The 11 will go in another room.

The pipes are soldered in and cunningly bent, so getting them to reach the
extra distance from the wall (~20mm) can't be done by just bending them.
I don't own a torch and have never needed one at home, so am reluctant to
buy one (if I do have to, what's a good one that's not too expensive?).

Depending on what you can get at, you may be able to cut off the
existing tails of pipe and leave enough straight pipe you use pushfit
fittings, and bit of plastic pipe and new valves. That way no need for a
torch.

If you do want to solder, then for 15mm pipe £10 wickes own brand torch
will be more than adequate. Some flux, solder, and a solder heat mat
would be a good idea to protect paintwork.

Thanks John. Rather bizarrely, I do have the other necessities.

I've done a lot of soldering of copper pipes, but not for 20 years and not
with leadless solder - but there just might be a bit of old stuff lurking
in a corner somewhere.

Are Stelrad OK? (SF has an offer on Kudox Premium, but these go to only
1200mm :-( ). I've found this one
http://www.plumbtraders.co.uk/produc...rs-600-1400-p/

Stelrad are ok IME

and ISTR that the suppliers site was mentioned in this group.

Now, I've heard of rads. being delivered somewahat the worse for the
experience, so is it 'safe' to get one delivered rather than fetching it? I
suppose it depends on the supplier, packaging and, of course, the vandroid.

Getting single panel rads delivered un bent can be a challenge - but
double panel ones are usually fine. Having said that, there are plenty
of SF trade centres now.

That's not so bad. Yes, there a SF about 12 miles away, but me back wheel
might collapse!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm writes:
On 28/07/2010 13:12, PeterC wrote:

I've done a lot of soldering of copper pipes, but not for20 years and not
with leadless solder - but there just might be a bit of old stuff lurking
in a corner somewhere.

Lead/tin solder will be fine on central heating pipework anyway... (even
if not PC!)

AFAIK, it's still allowed for non-potable water.
I can't say I see much difference between leaded
and lead-free when using them for plumbing anyway.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 01:35:00 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 29/07/2010 19:04, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In articleScOdnRyxe7sloM3RnZ2dnUVZ7s4AAAAA@brightvie w.co.uk,
John writes:
On 28/07/2010 13:12, PeterC wrote:

I've done a lot of soldering of copper pipes, but not for20 years and not
with leadless solder - but there just might be a bit of old stuff lurking
in a corner somewhere.

Lead/tin solder will be fine on central heating pipework anyway... (even
if not PC!)

AFAIK, it's still allowed for non-potable water.
I can't say I see much difference between leaded
and lead-free when using them for plumbing anyway.

Yup agreed - apart from feeling too light to be proper solder, the lead
free seems to work well enough on pipes. (not sure sure its a good idea
on electronics though!)

So rads. OK then - and I've enough cored and plain 'proper' solder for
elctronic/electrical jobs to last 50 years, which at the age of 63...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , PeterC
writes

John writes:
On 28/07/2010 13:12, PeterC wrote:

I've done a lot of soldering of copper pipes, but not for20 years and not
with leadless solder - but there just might be a bit of old stuff lurking
in a corner somewhere.

Lead/tin solder will be fine on central heating pipework anyway... (even
if not PC!)

AFAIK, it's still allowed for non-potable water.
I can't say I see much difference between leaded
and lead-free when using them for plumbing anyway.

Yup agreed - apart from feeling too light to be proper solder, the lead
free seems to work well enough on pipes. (not sure sure its a good idea
on electronics though!)

So rads. OK then - and I've enough cored and plain 'proper' solder for
elctronic/electrical jobs to last 50 years, which at the age of 63...

I've just bought 25 x 500g reels of solder

I'm HOPING that will last 2 years

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 14:43:03 +0100, PeterC wrote:

Now, I've heard of rads. being delivered somewahat the worse for the
experience, so is it 'safe' to get one delivered rather than fetching it? I
suppose it depends on the supplier, packaging and, of course, the vandroid.

Follow up:

Went to PlumbCenter in Northampton, rad. I wanted was £198+VAT+Del!
Ordered from PlumbTraders, same item, £90.99 inc. VAR and Del(! again).[1]
Had e-mail v. shortly after placing order to confir; had ref. no. but no
carrier. Also had day expected (following day) which I missed as PT had
stated 2 days.
Got home to find a card, properly filled in with name, tel., etc. - it was
from PlumbCenter in Northampton!
Rang up, del. for 08:00 - 10:30 next morning - great!
Not delivered; rang; van broken down. Del. arranged for 15:00 - 16:00.
Rad. arrived at ~15:30.

Now, that's the way to do it: delivery when stated (withing controllable
circumstances), no carrier involved (PC uses its own vans to avoid dammage
to goods) and straightforward answers.

[1] One wonders why PT can manage this price via PC that can't. Also a bit
of concern re. PT being '...part of the Traders Group...' as it sounded a
bit dodgey, but, if I'd been in at the right time it all would have been
excellent.
Seems that even a single panel would survive this system.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away