Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing tiles idea, will it work ?

I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm ones... Now
I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath which was a headache
and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot and dab some new boarding on
pffft ....... as there are about 9 only above the sink and its only cereamic
right, could I used some 40 grit and a sander and sand it down ?

will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold chisel last
time lol.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 5:51*pm, "Matthew.Ridges" wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm ones... Now
I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath which was a headache
and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot and dab some new boarding on
pffft ....... as there are about 9 only above the sink and its only cereamic
right, could I used some 40 grit and a sander and sand it down ?

will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold chisel last
time lol.

Sand what down, plasterboard? on show or behind tiles?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm
ones... Now I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath
which was a headache and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot
and dab some new boarding on pffft ....... as there are about 9 only
above the sink and its only cereamic right, could I used some 40 grit
and a sander and sand it down ?
will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold
chisel last time lol.

For the sake of nine tiles, is it worth bothering trying to tile over
them? - how many did you remove on the other walls?

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 11, 5:51 pm, "Matthew.Ridges" wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm ones... Now
I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath which was a headache
and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot and dab some new boarding on
pffft ....... as there are about 9 only above the sink and its only cereamic
right, could I used some 40 grit and a sander and sand it down ?

will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold chisel last
time lol.

cold chisel? get/borrow a bolster (3inch wide blade) - aim at gap
betwixt wall and tile and tw@t with lump hammer - ping! tile will
hopefully fall off in one piece - try it?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 13:09:58 -0700 (PDT), Jim K wrote:

please say yes

Sanding the tiles away to nothing? Yes I guess it would work but the
amount of dust it would generate doesn't bear thinking about.

because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold chisel last
time lol.

cold chisel? get/borrow a bolster (3inch wide blade)

And these days come with a plastic guard so when you miss you don't
whack your hand.

- aim at gap betwixt wall and tile and tw@t with lump hammer - ping!
tile will hopefully fall off in one piece - try it?

That's the way to do it! Flat side of bolster almost parallel to the
wall so it doesn't dig in. Of course if the tile/adhesive is stronger
than the plaster board you may still find chuncks being ripped out of
it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm
ones... Now I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath
which was a headache and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot
and dab some new boarding on pffft ....... as there are about 9 only
above the sink and its only cereamic right, could I used some 40 grit
and a sander and sand it down ?

If you want to remove them - it will work - eventually. You will prolly be
found dead from dust inhalation amid a pile of worn abrasive though.

If its to key them to tile over - don't bother. Just clean them & use a
decent tile adhesive.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm
ones... Now I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath
which was a headache and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot
and dab some new boarding on pffft ....... as there are about 9 only
above the sink and its only cereamic right, could I used some 40 grit
and a sander and sand it down ?
will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold
chisel last time lol.

SDS drill and chisel bit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2010 11:10, John wrote:
Matthew.Ridges wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm
ones... Now I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath
which was a headache and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot
and dab some new boarding on pffft ....... as there are about 9 only
above the sink and its only cereamic right, could I used some 40 grit
and a sander and sand it down ?
will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold
chisel last time lol.

SDS drill and chisel bit

On plasterboard, a 4" scraper and a claw hammer. Bolsters and chisels
are too thick to get behind tiles cleanly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 5:51 pm, "Matthew.Ridges" wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm ones...
Now
I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath which was a
headache
and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot and dab some new boarding on
pffft ....... as there are about 9 only above the sink and its only
cereamic
right, could I used some 40 grit and a sander and sand it down ?

will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold chisel
last
time lol.

Sand what down, plasterboard? on show or behind tiles?

NT

The actual tile, my plan was to sand them down as low then smooth the last
bit down with a less agressive grade paper ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 12, 11:47 am, stuart noble wrote:
On 12/08/2010 11:10, John wrote:

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm
ones... Now I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath
which was a headache and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot
and dab some new boarding on pffft ....... as there are about 9 only
above the sink and its only cereamic right, could I used some 40 grit
and a sander and sand it down ?
will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold
chisel last time lol.

SDS drill and chisel bit

On plasterboard, a 4" scraper and a claw hammer.

used how?

Bolsters and chisels
are too thick to get behind tiles cleanly

cleanly??
(method has worked ok IME)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2010 13:35, Jim K wrote:
On Aug 12, 11:47 am, stuart wrote:
On 12/08/2010 11:10, John wrote:

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
I have some tiles infront of a sink in the bathroow 15cm X 15cm
ones... Now I recently hammer and chiseled the ones around the bath
which was a headache and damaged the plastboard which I had to dot
and dab some new boarding on pffft ....... as there are about 9 only
above the sink and its only cereamic right, could I used some 40 grit
and a sander and sand it down ?
will that work

please say yes because I murdered my hand with a hammer and cold
chisel last time lol.

SDS drill and chisel bit

On plasterboard, a 4" scraper and a claw hammer.

used how?

Bolsters and chisels
are too thick to get behind tiles cleanly

cleanly??
(method has worked ok IME)

Jim K

Pretty obvious that a thinner blade is going to get behind the tile
easier than a big fat one. Only problem is the flexibility of the
scraper, but a sharp tap at the right angle usually does it for me. A
different approach required on solid walls of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2010 11:10, John wrote:

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
[...]

tho not obvious how it would make it any easier given the flexibility
and thus weakness as a lever to prise with against the strength of set
tile adhesive....
the bolster and club hammer is akin to splitting wood with a splitting
maul *not* a felling axe...

scraper, but a sharp tap at the right angle usually does it for me.

for completeness - what is the right angle IYE?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew.Ridges wrote:

wrote in message

Sand what down?

The actual tile, my plan was to sand them down as low then smooth the last
bit down with a less agressive grade paper ?

It'll take days ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2010 11:10, John wrote:

Matthew.Ridges wrote:
[...]

Dunno, but try it next time you're dealing with tiles on plasterboard.

Jim K