Cheap Cardboard shredder

Old August 3rd 10, 12:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap Cardboard shredder

Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the problem of
dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage space. The waste
collection company has stopped taking all the waste and now strictly only takes
what is in the bin.

So, instead of taking calls and generating work for the staff, I am having to
spend time ripping up the waste boxes so they fit into the bin. It just doesn't
seem right in a business to have to spend time doing this.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first question is
does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for cardboard. The other
question is what are the thought of the panel on the idea of a DIY shredder -
possibly made from an old electric lawn mower.

ng_786.
Old August 3rd 10, 12:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"S R" wrote in message
Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the problem
of dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage space. The
waste collection company has stopped taking all the waste and now strictly
only takes what is in the bin.

So, instead of taking calls and generating work for the staff, I am having
to spend time ripping up the waste boxes so they fit into the bin. It just
doesn't seem right in a business to have to spend time doing this.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first
question is does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for
cardboard. The other question is what are the thought of the panel on the
idea of a DIY shredder - possibly made from an old electric lawn mower.

ng_786.

Leave it out in the rain, or spray with a garden hose. Unless it is plastic
or wax coated it goes soft when wet and then is easy to squash into the bin.

Goats will eat them too...

Old August 3rd 10, 01:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message SPH5o.12309$7Z3.4870@hurricane, S R
writes
Increasing bureaucracy being what it is, I am having to solve the
problem of dealing with cardboard waste but with very limited storage
space. The waste collection company has stopped taking all the waste
and now strictly only takes what is in the bin.

So, instead of taking calls and generating work for the staff, I am
having to spend time ripping up the waste boxes so they fit into the
bin. It just doesn't seem right in a business to have to spend time
doing this.

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first
question is does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for
cardboard. The other question is what are the thought of the panel on
the idea of a DIY shredder - possibly made from an old electric lawn
mower.

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

--
geoff
Old August 3rd 10, 11:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Aug, 23:41, S R wrote:

I have looked for compactors but they all look expensive. So first question is
does anyone know of any cheap compactors or shredders for cardboard.

The trick is to dismantle boxes, rather than shredding them. They're
far weaker along the ready-made fold lines and will easily dismantle
into flat sheets that stack pretty well in a dumpster. When I had to
last deal with this problem in bulk:

* There's a box-cutting knife, one with a shrouded knife blade
although it took a few goes to find one with a big enough jaw to take
a thickness or two of heavy box cardboard. This is kept handy by the
dumpster and isn't used or removed for any other jobs. You can't tear
cardboard boxes as there's always some tape or something in the way.
You can't use a Stanley knife or someone will manage to cut themselves
before long.

* There's a cardboard dumpster. Nothing else goes in it, only
cardboard goes in it, only flat cardboard goes in it. This then
becomes pretty much self-compacting. Any unflattened boxes in there
are taken out, flattened and put back.

* Cardboard is kept dry. Damp cardboard is weak and unpleasant to
handle, so no-one then wants to tidy it up and it gets left.

Everyone needs to be aware of the first two and it becomes a hanging
offence to breach them. You do need that segregated dumpster.

Shredders and compactors need power, which is where the money goes.
Old August 3rd 10, 11:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 11:51 am, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles. Clearly they are able to sort out everything
automatically. So the technogy is clearly now available, in first
world countries!
Old August 3rd 10, 12:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 11:51 am, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Phone yours up and ask

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles. Clearly they are able to sort out everything
automatically. So the technogy is clearly now available, in first
world countries!

Technology costs .... and the price for recycled cardboard prevents most
people investing in the sorting Technology ....... I have a friend who owns
a waste paper company, he only takes the cardboard as a sweetener to get the
paper ...
His resale cost of the cardboard does not even break even on collection
cost.

I did some work with a logistics company, they invested in a machine that
turns waste corrugated cardboard into packing material ... and very
effective it is.
Gets rid of most of the cardboard waste and also saves them on buying
'polystyrene peanuts' for packing.

The product comes out like an expanded mat ... here is a pic of typical
machine:

http://www.elmstok.co.uk/cardshredder.html#pace

Old August 3rd 10, 02:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:

My Council is happy to deliver several recycling bins if needed.
Into these we can put a mixture of cardboard, paper, tins, glass and
plastic bottles.

Seems to vary around the country here, some have myriad bins for
different types of recycling, others just have one recycling bin.

But fill them to overflowing and they'll refuse to empty the contents
and stick nasty warning stickers on them threatening to fine you if you
repeat the "offence".
Old August 3rd 10, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 00:51:53 +0100, geoff wrote:

Our Local council is making noises in the cardboard collection direction

Ours (round the corner from yours) has recently taken to allowing a
very (seemingly) mixed range of stuff in the big recycling bin. This
includes (only shredded) paper, cardboard, cooked / uncooked fish,
meats, bones etc, grass, hedge cuttings and fallen leaves, tea coffee
etc. [1]

What do they do with that then, bio fuel / gas?

Paper, tin, glass, plastic bottles go in the other (smaller) bin.

Cheers, T i m

[1] They suggest you place all leftover food in an old cereal box or
on some newspaper before putting in the big bin. We don't eat enough
cereal and have a sign on the door saying 'no free papers' ... ;-(
Having said that we don't waste much food either. ;-)

p.s. My missus remembers reading somewhere that they don't want the
tin lids in with the tins (or plastic bottle tops)? She proved this by
putting a couple in the box and they were left by the collectors? To
save space I was considering cutting the bottom off the tins (as well)
and then flattening them with my size 10 but then that would be the
top /and/ the bottom they wouldn't take? It can't be because it's a
different material and you wouldn't think it's because they have a
sharp edge (some openers leave the tin with a sharper edge) so anyone
know why please?
Old August 3rd 10, 04:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 14:19, T i m wrote:
[...]

Know somone in the wast...recyclable collection business.

He dosen`t have a yard, his vans go out empty and return empty, as he
says he is not interested in rubbish , everything he collects is
recycled and he gets paid to collect and paid for the materials he
delivers to recyclers.

Offices are his best customers, lot of young staff not keen on land
fill, give them different bins and they even self sort the plastics
for him.

It`s all got a value if you have enough of it sorted;

http://www.letsrecycle.com/prices/paper/

Guessing food waste ,along with shredded paper which is too short
fibre to recycle, could be for composting.

Dunno about tins of bottle tops though , have wondered myself.

Cheers
Adam

Old August 3rd 10, 04:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 07:11:46 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby
wrote:

Offices are his best customers, lot of young staff not keen on land
fill, give them different bins and they even self sort the plastics
for him.

It really ****es me off when you see at these (typically smaller)
communal recycling places the small wheelie bins, 'filled' by one
upturned TV box ... or the 'plastic bottles only' cage littered with
yogurt and other prohibited plastic containers, just because they are
'plastic'. What part of 'plastic bottles only' can be confused with a
polystyrene food tray?

I wonder if with the TV boxes it has done it's stint outside their
house for a few weeks, showing off the fact they have a new TV (that's
probably bigger than their lounge) so now it has to continue that
role, of telling everyone they have one by bunging up the recycling
place. ;-(

Cheers, T i m