Installing a vented tumble dryer

Old July 29th 10, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Installing a vented tumble dryer

Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!
Old July 29th 10, 05:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/10 17:12, Bear wrote:
Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

You can get brick-shaped vents as well as round ones. They usually have an
adapter to fit a round hose on the internal side and either a brick shape or
square external vent.

Old July 29th 10, 05:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 29, 5:32*pm, chunkyoldcortina wrote:
On 29/07/10 17:12, Bear wrote:

Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

You can get brick-shaped vents as well as round ones. They usually have an
adapter to fit a round hose on the internal side and either a brick shape or
square external vent.

Wow - didn't know that. So basically just crack the plaster, locate a
brick or two to remove and fit?
Old July 29th 10, 05:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bear wrote:
Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

Chain drill it. IOW drill a series of small holes in a circle of the
appropriate size, then break out the middle with a bolster & hammer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old July 29th 10, 06:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 29, 5:55*pm, "The Medway Handyman" davidl...@no-spam-
blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Bear wrote:
Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

Chain drill it. *IOW drill a series of small holes in a circle of the
appropriate size, then break out the middle with a bolster & hammer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Cheers - will give it a go
Old July 29th 10, 06:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Just to revive an age old argument before purchase - vented or
condenser?
Old July 29th 10, 10:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:12:27 -0700, Bear wrote:

Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external wall
in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through the wall
of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last vented dryer I
saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

What's the wall made of? For putting our dryer into the basement, I used
an SDS drill and combination of foot-long 1/2" drill and foot-long 1"
wide chisel bit to go through the 9" or so of concrete; I drilled a
series of holes along the perimeter of the intended opening (around 1"
apart) and then used the chisel bit to clear everything out.

Not sure I'd fancy doing that with brick, though - too much vibration
maybe.

For wooden walls / plasterboard just drill a pilot hole and use a
jigsaw...
Old July 29th 10, 10:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 29, 10:26*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 09:12:27 -0700, Bear wrote:
Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external wall
in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through the wall
of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last vented dryer I
saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

What's the wall made of? For putting our dryer into the basement, I used
an SDS drill and combination of foot-long 1/2" drill and foot-long 1"
wide chisel bit to go through the 9" or so of concrete; I drilled a
series of holes along the perimeter of the intended opening (around 1"
apart) and then used the chisel bit to clear everything out.

Not sure I'd fancy doing that with brick, though - too much vibration
maybe.

For wooden walls / plasterboard just drill a pilot hole and use a
jigsaw...

Sadly it's world war two bunker concrete!
Old July 30th 10, 12:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/07/10 17:39, Bear wrote:
On Jul 29, 5:32 pm, wrote:
On 29/07/10 17:12, Bear wrote:

Luckily my tumble dryer (once purchased) can sit aside an external
wall in the utility room. Question is, how do I bore a hole through
the wall of reasonable size? I'm handy with a drill, but the last
vented dryer I saw required a hole around 6 - 9 inches in diameter!

You can get brick-shaped vents as well as round ones. They usually have an
adapter to fit a round hose on the internal side and either a brick shape or
square external vent.

Wow - didn't know that. So basically just crack the plaster, locate a
brick or two to remove and fit?

Yup.

Many years ago I bought a tumble dryer vent kit from homebase or b&q which
contained hose, one of these adapters, rectangular rigid ducting to go
through the wall, and external flapped vent. All it needed in addition was a
bit of duct tape. The tumble dryer was in an external single-skin outhouse
converted to a utility room so it took all of about 45 mins with a bolster
chisel and hammer to chisel out a brick, fit the external vent, cut the duct
to length and fit the internal adapter. Painted all exposed brick with dilute
PVA and then I filled in around the gaps with mastic which also adhered
everything to the wall. Used duct tape to fix the hose to the adapter and to
the tumble dryer outlet. Robert's your mother's brother.

If you have a double-skin wall you can get flexible rectangular ducting
should the bricks not be totally aligned.

Various standalone bits & pieces here

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?fh_view_size=10&fh_reffacet=categories&fh_ location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9 372182}&fh_refview=search&fh_search=rectangular+du ct&fh_refpath=facet_159016185&fh_eds=%C3%9F&ts=128 0421054469
Old July 30th 10, 01:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:46:06 -0700, Bear wrote:
Sadly it's world war two bunker concrete!

Get yerself a good SDS, then... it'll knock through it reasonably quickly
(ours is about 9" with reinforcing metal in it). It took me about an hour
to do mine, but a fair bit of that was measuring because I knew where I
wanted the hole horizontally on the inside, and where I wanted it
vertically on the outside, and there was bugger-all to use as a reference
(with hindsight it probably would have been quicker to just drill a
reference-point hole *somewhere* in the wall and cement it closed
afterwards).

(if you don't have a big SDS and don't fancy buying one, some of the half-
day rental rates aren't bad - or at least they aren't here)

cheers

Jules