How is my conservatory door fixed in place?

Old July 29th 10, 05:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How is my conservatory door fixed in place?

The frame of my conservatory door is not quite square at present, and the
hinges don't offer enough adjustment to compensate. I would like to lower
one corner of the door frame, but I can't figure out how it's held in place.

I lifted the doors off their hinges, removed the masonry fixings between the
door frame and the dwarf walls, and removed the spacers between the door
sill and the bricks underneath the door. There is some space between the
door sill and the bricks, so it ought to be possible to lower the door
frame, but even when I jumped up and down on the door frame, it didn't drop
at all.
There no other visible fixings in the door frame or the adjacent window
frames that could be holding it in place, so what's supporting it?
There are some vertical trim strips between the door and window frames, but
I think I'd need to remove part of the roof to slide them out, so hopefully
that won't be necessary.

Here are some pictures:

http://i26.tinypic.com/13zsuap.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/2z50j1v.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/o580b7.jpg

Old July 29th 10, 05:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr UPVC wrote:
[...]

Just because they aren't visible, doesn't mean they don't exist - it's
likely that the window frames were screwed to the door frame on each side
and also the window above, these fixings will be behind the glass units of
the windows, you may need to remove the units to get these fixings out prior
to any adjustment of the door frames.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old July 30th 10, 09:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 July, 16:48, "Mr UPVC" Mr wrote:
[...]

http://i26.tinypic.com/13zsuap.jpght...com/o580b7.jpg

It looks like there may be fixings in the upper window as per previous
post. There may be some vertically into the "wall plate" above the top
window. There is often a "ring beam" around conservatories at wall
top level. Especially where there is no tie at high "eves" level .
This is to contain the spreading effect of the roof. Everything is
secured to this .
Old July 30th 10, 09:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://i26.tinypic.com/13zsuap.jpght...m/2z50j1v.jpgh...

It looks like there may be fixings in the upper window as per previous
post. There may be some vertically into the "wall plate" above the top
window. *There is often a "ring beam" around conservatories at wall
top level. Especially where there is no tie at high "eves" level .
This is to contain the spreading effect of the roof. *Everything is
secured to this .- Hide quoted text -

The ring beam is above the windows, not above the dwarf wall :-)
Old July 30th 10, 03:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On 30 July, 08:13, harry wrote:
[...]

the roof. Everything is secured to this .- Hide quoted text -

The ring beam is above the windows, not above the dwarf wall :-)

Thought so, otherwise you'd have to leap over it each time you went through
the door :-p