Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default loft in-line bathroom fans

I just want a simple bathroom fan, with an extract vent (no light,
just vent) in the bathroom ceiling, the fan itself in the loft (less
noise hopefully), and the exhaust vent on a soffit (or, because crawl
space down the edge of the loft is a challenge in our gently sloping
roof, in an external wall).

Has anyone found a Vent Axia kit, or do people buy the parts
separately?

If separately, will extract vent, exhaust vent, ducting, in-line fan,
and duct tape do the job, or is there something else I need?

Cheers,
David.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson wrote:
I just want a simple bathroom fan, with an extract vent (no light,
just vent) in the bathroom ceiling, the fan itself in the loft (less
noise hopefully), and the exhaust vent on a soffit (or, because crawl
space down the edge of the loft is a challenge in our gently sloping
roof, in an external wall).

Has anyone found a Vent Axia kit, or do people buy the parts
separately?

If separately, will extract vent, exhaust vent, ducting, in-line fan,
and duct tape do the job, or is there something else I need?

Cheers,
David.

Look at TLC order code BG SF1 (or BG SF2 with run on timer) I installed
on a few years back and mounted the fan on London pattern brackets on
the gable wall using tap washers to isolate the fan from the brackets.
It can hardly be heard in the en-suite below

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Robinson
wibbled on Thursday 29 July 2010 22:43

I just want a simple bathroom fan, with an extract vent (no light,
just vent) in the bathroom ceiling, the fan itself in the loft (less
noise hopefully), and the exhaust vent on a soffit (or, because crawl
space down the edge of the loft is a challenge in our gently sloping
roof, in an external wall).

Has anyone found a Vent Axia kit, or do people buy the parts
separately?

I fitted a Solar & Palau in line unit, using a mixture of round solid
ducting and a little flexi flat from BES (except the fan).

The fan is very quiet. The vent is not. Partly as I chose a powerful fan to
clear a land-locked bathroom quickly. But I used a vent with a grid pattern
on the front and I think most of the noise comes from the air going through
that. A "mushroom" pattern vent might be better- see those a lot in company
loos.

If separately, will extract vent, exhaust vent, ducting, in-line fan,
and duct tape do the job, or is there something else I need?

Duct clips to fix it to a joist here and there.

Basically.. I would stick to 4" round plastic or flat plastic rigid as far a
you can. Then switch to flexi 2x4" for the last metre over the wall plate.
If you make a hole in the soffits to take a brown or white square grille,
there's just enough room to put your hand up to retrieve a rope that you
pushed over the wall plate from the loft (on a stick if necessary. Tie the
end of the rope on the inside around the flexi, making holes in it so the
rope goes round the stiffening wires in the end. With a little help from
above to hold and guide the flexi (even from a metre or so back is OK) you
can pull it over the wall and down the hole in the soffits. Duct tape the
inside to the rigid duct, and trim the other end so it's about a foot down
from the soffits. Tape the grill on and push in place.

Worked for me, YMMV.

Remember to introduce a slight slope (a la drain pipe type slope) so any
condensation can drain - preferably outwards...

You may find this TLC page interesting:

http://www.tlc-
direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/4_Inch_Fans_Duct/index.html

HTH

Tim

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 July, 22:43, David Robinson
wrote:
I just want a simple bathroom fan, with an extract vent (no light,
just vent) in the bathroom ceiling, the fan itself in the loft (less
noise hopefully), and the exhaust vent on a soffit (or, because crawl
space down the edge of the loft is a challenge in our gently sloping
roof, in an external wall).

Has anyone found a Vent Axia kit, or do people buy the parts
separately?

If separately, will extract vent, exhaust vent, ducting, in-line fan,
and duct tape do the job, or is there something else I need?

Cheers,
David.

There are lots of fans & ductwork in "Screwfix"catalogue.
You will need a centrifugal fan for ducts longer than a meter or so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry
wibbled on Friday 30 July 2010 07:44

There are lots of fans & ductwork in "Screwfix"catalogue.
You will need a centrifugal fan for ducts longer than a meter or so.

I have an axial fan blowing a gale through 5m of duct, so I feel you may be
in error there ;-

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
harry
wibbled on Friday 30 July 2010 07:44

There are lots of fans & ductwork in "Screwfix"catalogue.
You will need a centrifugal fan for ducts longer than a meter or so.

I have an axial fan blowing a gale through 5m of duct, so I feel you may be
in error there ;-

Yesh, I had a 100mm axial fan in the loft, venting through probably 3 m
or so of duct (out through the roof). worked fine.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 29, 10:43*pm, David Robinson
wrote:
I just want a simple bathroom fan, with an extract vent (no light,
just vent) in the bathroom ceiling, the fan itself in the loft (less
noise hopefully), and the exhaust vent on a soffit (or, because crawl
space down the edge of the loft is a challenge in our gently sloping
roof, in an external wall).

Has anyone found a Vent Axia kit, or do people buy the parts
separately?

If separately, will extract vent, exhaust vent, ducting, in-line fan,
and duct tape do the job, or is there something else I need?

Cheers,
David.

Sit fan on rubber or even polystyrene

Bathroom fans GregS[_3_] Home Ownership 0 June 3rd 09 07:45 PM
Curiousity - Bathroom Fans Donwill UK diy 3 February 28th 08 11:06 AM
Bathroom fans franz frippl Home Repair 15 September 12th 07 07:29 PM
Bathroom fans Sparks UK diy 10 September 15th 06 01:11 AM
Bathroom Fans David Gale Home Repair 35 August 29th 04 08:14 AM