lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles

Old July 24th 10, 06:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

Rgds, Tom
Old July 24th 10, 08:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 5:21*pm, Tom wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

Rgds, Tom

No such thing as lightweight mirrors, unless you go to thin plastic,
then you've no hope of maintaining a usefully undistorted image.

Why do you want lightweight though? Standard fixings normally work on
tiled walls just fine.

NT
Old July 24th 10, 09:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

Rgds, Tom

An inset mirror looks great, can be a bummer if it gets broken
though.

Drilling tiles is pretty easy, use a small drill bit to start and some
tape to stop it wandering, then work your way up drill bit sizes
until you have the right size hole. That's how I do it anyway, I
don't like to go straight in with a large drill bit as in the past it
has caused tiles to crack (dot and dabbed instead of an even
spread).

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.

Old July 24th 10, 10:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 24, 8:25*pm, Nitro® wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

Rgds, Tom

An inset mirror looks great, can be a bummer if it gets broken
though.

Drilling tiles is pretty easy, use a small drill bit to start and some
tape to stop it wandering, then work your way up drill bit sizes
until you have the right size hole. That's how I do it anyway, I
don't like to go straight in with a large drill bit as in the past it
has caused tiles to crack (dot and dabbed instead of an even
spread).

Tile drill bits are very cheap now

NT
Old July 24th 10, 10:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tom writes:
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

My parents have a large (and I presume heavy) mirror stuck to their
bathroom wall with those double sided felt pads. I was sceptical when
they put it up that way, but that was about 35 years ago, and it's
still there.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old July 24th 10, 11:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

My parents have a large (and I presume heavy) mirror stuck to their
bathroom wall with those double sided felt pads. I was sceptical when
they put it up that way, but that was about 35 years ago, and it's
still there.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Do these (I presume) stick on pads still exist for mirrors to be stuck
on tiles?
If so, where from?
Tom
Old July 25th 10, 12:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 13:38:00 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Jul 24, 8:25*pm, Nitro® wrote:
"Tom" wrote in message

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

Rgds, Tom

An inset mirror looks great, can be a bummer if it gets broken
though.

Drilling tiles is pretty easy, use a small drill bit to start and some
tape to stop it wandering, then work your way up drill bit sizes
until you have the right size hole. That's how I do it anyway, I
don't like to go straight in with a large drill bit as in the past it
has caused tiles to crack (dot and dabbed instead of an even
spread).

Tile drill bits are very cheap now

I got a bevelled mirror about 18" x 12" in a chrome frame. To attach
it to the bathroom tiles I glued to the tiles with Araldite a couple
of thin metal hooks which lie inside the frame and support its top
edge, which has a bit of a lip at the back. I then attached a couple
of pieces of Velcro at the bottom to stop the mirror flopping about.
This holds the mirror firmly to the wall; to detach it I simply pull
the Velcro apart at the bottom and lift the mirror off the hooks.

The hooks were from B&Q (ages ago) and consist of two offset 'blades'
intended to engage with a corresponding hook with one blade, very
slightly resembling a microphone hanger for a two-way radio, IYSWIM.

--
Frank Erskine
Old July 25th 10, 12:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 July, 22:31, Tom wrote:
My parents have a large (and I presume heavy) mirror stuck to their
bathroom wall with those double sided felt pads. I was sceptical when
they put it up that way, but that was about 35 years ago, and it's
still there.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Do these (I presume) stick on pads still exist for mirrors to be stuck
on tiles?
If so, where from?
Tom

You can get mirror glue from glaziers for sticking to tiles. Its
formulated to not attack the silvering on the back.
Simon.
Old July 25th 10, 01:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tom wrote:
Hi All,

Does anyone know of a lightweight bathroom mirror to stick on tiles -
I know you can get mirrors that are professionally affixed to tiles
with glue like this but I wondered if there was a DIY solution - if so
where from? I don't want it to look too cheap.

Rgds, Tom

doesn't need to be lightweight: juts get some mirror glue and go.

All the glazing shops here sell it.
You need to fix it while the glue dries somehow tho
Old July 25th 10, 04:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 14:31:35 -0700 (PDT), Tom wrote:

Do these (I presume) stick on pads still exist for mirrors to be stuck
on tiles? If so, where from?

The previous owners of this place stuck various bits of mirror(*) on
with the ordinary foam double sided sticky fixers. No sign of damage
to the silvering and the mirrors where difficult to remove, had to
cut through the foam pad rather than the adhesive letting go.

(*) Most 10" square mirror tiles but one dress mirror about 10 x 30".
The square ones just had 4 1" pads the bigger one half a dozen.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Stick-on tiles Jim S UK diy 6 June 21st 09 01:20 PM
Self-Stick Tiles floating around? Davej Home Repair 3 February 18th 09 03:11 AM
peel and stick tiles SteveB[_2_] Home Repair 8 January 2nd 08 04:55 AM
STICK-DOWN TILES ( followup ) No Name Home Repair 3 September 27th 07 12:26 AM
vinyl self stick tiles [email protected] Home Repair 3 September 3rd 06 09:27 PM