Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

Default Anyone recognise this intercom equipment?

My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.

Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus: http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG

Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release
the door, thus: http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG

Problem is that mine doesn't work properly, and I probably need to
replace the handset. The symptoms are these:

A caller presses my button on the outside intercom, and a buzzer sounds
in the flat - ok.

I pick up the handset and speak, but the caller can't hear me. [If the
caller speaks, I can hear them - but they're not likely to unless they
hear me first!]

If I press the button on my handset, the door unlocks - but the caller
can't hear my instruction to push the door!

I can't find any ID (make/model, etc.) on the handset or outside
intercom and wondered whether any of you might recognise it. I'd like to
replace the handset to see whether that fixes the problem.

TIA
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
[...]

Theres a firm in London SRS doorentry it might be one of theirs if not
they may well know who made it..

http://www.doorentrydirect.com/

http://www.srsdoorentry.com/

I'd ring them first then mail them the Pix...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

[...]

It's been many years since I dirtied my hands on that stuff, It was when my Grandmother was alive and I wired an extension to her
chair-side table using an old POTS phone with most of the guts removed.

IIRC the system is very simple; primitive in fact.
A DC PSU, carbon microphones in the outside panel and the handsets
No amplification!
The phone cradle is badly made, hook switch leaf spring need adjusting contacts
cleaning, etc.
It's very basic stuff, just make a sketch of how the cable connects to the cradle first.

At the time I was maintaining a lot of Panasonic GX PBAX systems, so had a supply of replacement carbon mic inserts.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 22/07/2010 21:26, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Try removing the handset base from the wall and Google any part numbers
you find on the rear. I install
http://cpc.farnell.com/videx/3k4/doo...ush/dp/SR06744 as
part of the day job and find that the extra handsets usually work with
other brands.
erry ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

If I press the button on my handset, the door unlocks - but the caller
can't hear my instruction to push the door!

I can't find any ID (make/model, etc.) on the handset or outside intercom
and wondered whether any of you might recognise it. I'd like to replace
the handset to see whether that fixes the problem.

You could wire a lamp and a buzzer so it works with people that are deaf.
There should be enough juice across the solenoid to do it.
Is it against the DDA to have holiday flats with an intercom that deaf
people can't use?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-22, Owain wrote:
On 22 July, 21:26, Roger Mills wrote:
My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.
Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG
Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release
the door, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG

http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/

Sounds like the carbon capsule has indeed gone kaputt.

Sometimes the carbon granules are stuck together and banging
the handset on something hard loosens them up. Worth a try
if you are going to replace it anyway.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 22/07/2010 21:58, tony sayer wrote:

Theres a firm in London SRS doorentry it might be one of theirs if not
they may well know who made it..

http://www.doorentrydirect.com/

http://www.srsdoorentry.com/

I'd ring them first then mail them the Pix...

Thanks for the links. I've emailed them with the pics, and am awaiting a
reply!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 22/07/2010 22:32, Graham. wrote:

It's been many years since I dirtied my hands on that stuff, It was when my Grandmother was alive and I wired an extension to her
chair-side table using an old POTS phone with most of the guts removed.

IIRC the system is very simple; primitive in fact.
A DC PSU, carbon microphones in the outside panel and the handsets
No amplification!
The phone cradle is badly made, hook switch leaf spring need adjusting contacts
cleaning, etc.

That sounds like the one! When I took the front panel off the
wall-mounted bit, I couldn't make out how the cradle switch was supposed
to work - it seem to have a couple of vertical bits of coiled springy
stuff - a bit like curtain wire from memory - but I couldn't work out
what they did!

It's very basic stuff, just make a sketch of how the cable connects to the cradle first.

At the time I was maintaining a lot of Panasonic GX PBAX systems, so had a supply of replacement carbon mic inserts.

I've got a few old phone handsets lying about - am I likely to be able
to cannibalise one of them successfully?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 22/07/2010 23:53, Owain wrote:
On 22 July, 21:26, Roger Mills wrote:
My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.
Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG
Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release
the door, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG

http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/

Sounds like the carbon capsule has indeed gone kaputt.

New handsets for sale here
http://www.safelink.co.uk/store/shop...ion=full&id=13

Owain

Those look hopeful - thanks for the link.

--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-22, wrote:
On 22 July, 21:26, Roger Mills wrote:
My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.
Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG
Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release
the door, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG

http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/

Sounds like the carbon capsule has indeed gone kaputt.

Sometimes the carbon granules are stuck together and banging
the handset on something hard loosens them up. Worth a try
if you are going to replace it anyway.

That's the cheapest option so far - I'll try that!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 23/07/2010 01:48, GI7B wrote:

Try removing the handset base from the wall and Google any part numbers
you find on the rear. I install
http://cpc.farnell.com/videx/3k4/doo...ush/dp/SR06744 as
part of the day job and find that the extra handsets usually work with
other brands.
erry ....

Useful advice - thanks!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 23/07/2010 08:32, dennis@home wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

If I press the button on my handset, the door unlocks - but the caller
can't hear my instruction to push the door!

I can't find any ID (make/model, etc.) on the handset or outside
intercom and wondered whether any of you might recognise it. I'd like
to replace the handset to see whether that fixes the problem.

You could wire a lamp and a buzzer so it works with people that are deaf.
There should be enough juice across the solenoid to do it.

I can't see how that would help *speech* to be heard from a duff handset.

Is it against the DDA to have holiday flats with an intercom that deaf
people can't use?

I've no idea - my family are not deaf, and we are the only people who
use the flat - it isn't let out to Jo Public!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
On 2010-07-22, wrote:
On 22 July, 21:26, Roger Mills wrote:
My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.
Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG
Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release
the door, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG

http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/

Sounds like the carbon capsule has indeed gone kaputt.

Sometimes the carbon granules are stuck together and banging
the handset on something hard loosens them up. Worth a try
if you are going to replace it anyway.

That's the cheapest option so far - I'll try that!

I've seen quite a few of these, none I've worked n have or had carbon
mic's usually electret or moving coil ones!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

This is the landlord or management companies responsibility.

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
| My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
| communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.
|
| Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
| button for each flat, thus: http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG
|
| Inside each flat, there's a handset with a button to press to release
| the door, thus: http://www.mills37.plus.com/Handset.JPG
|
| Problem is that mine doesn't work properly, and I probably need to
| replace the handset. The symptoms are these:
|
| A caller presses my button on the outside intercom, and a buzzer sounds
| in the flat - ok.
|
| I pick up the handset and speak, but the caller can't hear me. [If the
| caller speaks, I can hear them - but they're not likely to unless they
| hear me first!]
|
| If I press the button on my handset, the door unlocks - but the caller
| can't hear my instruction to push the door!
|
| I can't find any ID (make/model, etc.) on the handset or outside
| intercom and wondered whether any of you might recognise it. I'd like to
| replace the handset to see whether that fixes the problem.
|
| TIA
| --
| Cheers,
| Roger
| ____________
| Please reply to Newsgroup. Whilst email address is valid, it is seldom
| checked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 23/07/2010 12:48, Owain wrote:

The two coil springy bits are the moving contacts of switches to
connect the mic and speaker.

The square wire 'hoop' over them is the common wire, IIRC. It is
liable to working loose or dry joints where it attaches to the PCB. I
think the newer handsets have a 'proper' switch.

Yes, on thinking about it a bit moire, I concluded that the problem
could well be with these switches rather than with the mic, so I decided
to replace the whole handset.

On consulting two of the companies suggested by people responding to
this thread, the handset has been identified as a BSTL-801. One of the
companies has an Ebay presence, and is supplying a handset for £15 inc.
postage - an amount which I'm happy to risk.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 23/07/2010 15:30, Stickems. wrote:
This is the landlord or management companies responsibility.

Yes indeed. However, the management company is owned by the tenants -
and I'm one of its directors. I *could* get a commercial outfit to look
at it, and the company would reimburse me - but I have a vested interest
in doing it as economically as possible - and am happy to invest a few
bob in replacing the handset in the hope that that fixes it.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
cj cj is offline

Hi
You have a Bell Systems door entry system,with bell 801 handsets.the front
panel is a standard surface unit.
Very easy to maintain parts are cheep and readily available phones use a 5
wire system all conected (usually) at the front door call unit which
contains the speech amp and call buttons,A 12v ac transformer is usually
mounted remotely to power the system.
The handsets should "warble" when called and this should be heard at the
fromt door.
If you need any further info repost or check Bell Systems web site.
HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-07-23, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Roger Mills
scribeth thus
On 2010-07-22, wrote:
On 22 July, 21:26, Roger Mills wrote:
My holiday flat has an intercom system which is supposed to enable me to
communicate with callers and let them in if appropriate.
http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/

Sounds like the carbon capsule has indeed gone kaputt.

Sometimes the carbon granules are stuck together and banging
the handset on something hard loosens them up. Worth a try
if you are going to replace it anyway.

That's the cheapest option so far - I'll try that!

I've seen quite a few of these, none I've worked n have or had carbon
mic's usually electret or moving coil ones!...

In which case banging it on something hard would bump
replacement up the priority list.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 23/07/2010 22:11, cj wrote:
Hi
You have a Bell Systems door entry system,with bell 801 handsets.the front
panel is a standard surface unit.
Very easy to maintain parts are cheep and readily available phones use a 5
wire system all conected (usually) at the front door call unit which
contains the speech amp and call buttons,A 12v ac transformer is usually
mounted remotely to power the system.
The handsets should "warble" when called and this should be heard at the
fromt door.
If you need any further info repost or check Bell Systems web site.
HTH
CJ

Thanks. That more or less confirms what others have said.

I've found a system wiring diagram on the Bell Systems web site, but
haven't been able to find any details of the internals of the 801. Do
you know whether it has IDC/Krone type connections inside? Better still,
any idea where I can find a manual for the handset rather than just a
diagram of the overall system?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 23/07/2010 22:11, cj wrote:
[...]

Not a proper wiring diagram, but when I had to fix a door entry system last
year I used this to help me

http://www.entryphone.co.uk/pdf/phones.pdf

I know it not what you want but it may help you.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On Jul 22, 9:26*pm, Roger Mills wrote:

Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG

I don't mean to alarm you but... where's Flat 2?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 24/07/2010 17:00, mike wrote:
On Jul 22, 9:26 pm, Roger wrote:

Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG

I don't mean to alarm you but... where's Flat 2?

Nothing to be alarmed about - it's a ground-floor flat with its own
separate entrance and thus outside the scope of this entry system.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 24/07/2010 16:58, ARWadsworth wrote:
"Roger wrote in message

I've found a system wiring diagram on the Bell Systems web site, but
haven't been able to find any details of the internals of the 801. Do you
know whether it has IDC/Krone type connections inside? Better still, any
idea where I can find a manual for the handset rather than just a diagram
of the overall system?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Not a proper wiring diagram, but when I had to fix a door entry system last
year I used this to help me

http://www.entryphone.co.uk/pdf/phones.pdf

I know it not what you want but it may help you.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Adam - interesting, but doesn't really shed any new light on the
scene.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Roger Mills" wrote in message

If I press the button on my handset, the door unlocks - but the caller
can't hear my instruction to push the door!

I can't find any ID (make/model, etc.) on the handset or outside intercom
and wondered whether any of you might recognise it. I'd like to replace
the handset to see whether that fixes the problem.

You could wire a lamp and a buzzer so it works with people that are deaf.
There should be enough juice across the solenoid to do it.
Is it against the DDA to have holiday flats with an intercom that deaf
people can't use?

Do **** off you sad ******.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

"mike" wrote in message ...
On Jul 22, 9:26 pm, Roger Mills wrote:

Outside the main door, there's a box with microphone and speaker, and a
button for each flat, thus:http://www.mills37.plus.com/Intercom.JPG

I don't mean to alarm you but... where's Flat 2?

Remember those arrays of bell-pushes where are the residents coincidently were called Freidland?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 24/07/2010 19:43, Owain wrote:

Can't remember what each wire is called now, but:

Common - goes to 'hoop' of hookswitch
Transmit - goes to transmitter, then back to one spring of hookswitch,
through spring to common when off-hook.
Receive - goes to speaker, then then back to other spring of
hookswitch, through spring to common when off-hook.
Release - goes through lock button to common
Call - goes through buzzer to common.

All except Call are wired in parallel across all handsets.

The old 801s certainly used to be screw terminals on the PCB.

Owain

I assume that most of what you describe above is part of the
pre-existing internal wiring, and that I simply have to connect the
external wires to the appropriate terminals.

Is is fair to assume that the terminals are labelled Z, T, O, R, I (or
maybe 1) as per the system diagram?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
cj cj is offline

Hi
To try and clear thing up a bit the system can be broken down into 3
sections.
1 Speech.
This is a 3 wire system using a speech module located in the front panel and
a handset shaped like a phone containing an earpiece and a microphone.
It works like the old intercom units rather than a phone.
Wiring is simple .
12v AC to the model 61 speech amp terminals C + and H -
The earpiece and mic' then connect to R mic' T earpiece and O common for
both.
All phones are in parallel.

2 Signalling.
The early handsets had an AC buzzer inside (just a coil with a metal plate
above it) but your picture is of the newer 801 series which has an
electronic warbler cct on the pcb of the phone.
This works just like a door bell.
12 ac from C+ on speech amp to common on all push buttons at front panel.
Other side of push button to I terminal on handset.
Circuit completes in handset by internal connection to O terminal on pcb at
phone.

3 Lock release.
AC lock connects to C terminal of speech amp and is activated by handset via
Z terminal on phone.
This connects to O at handset when release button is pressed on handset.

The handset wiring is simple the earpiece section has the earphone/mic
inserts sharing a common return wire .
These then feed via the coiled flex to the base unit where they are either
soldered directly to the pcb or plug in on 3 micro bullet type pins.

From experience I find that the handsets are very reliable and the fault is
normal the speech amp as it is open (via the front grill) to the weather and
insects.

As to repairing the handsets I normally just replace them as they are only
around £10 -£15 and as they say time is money.
But if you like tinkering or are stuck for parts then repairs are simple 2
screws hold the earpiece together and wiring is exposed all terminals are
fixed with Mini spade clips so you can easily swap out parts.

Working on these regularly I have loads of 'bits' in my junk box so if you
are really stuck let me know.

HTH
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 25/07/2010 02:16, cj wrote:
[...]

From experience I find that the handsets are very reliable and the fault is
normal the speech amp as it is open (via the front grill) to the weather and
insects.

As to repairing the handsets I normally just replace them as they are only
around £10 -£15 and as they say time is money.
But if you like tinkering or are stuck for parts then repairs are simple 2
screws hold the earpiece together and wiring is exposed all terminals are
fixed with Mini spade clips so you can easily swap out parts.

Working on these regularly I have loads of 'bits' in my junk box so if you
are really stuck let me know.

HTH
CJ

Many thanks for the explanation.

The symptoms point to the individual handset (or possibly the wiring)
because all the other flats can apparently communicate with the outside
box ok.

Anyway, I'm replacing the handset (I have one on order from an Ebay
company) and hope that that fixes the problem.

What are the connections inside the 801 - are they IDC or screw terminals?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

On 25/07/2010 13:32, Owain wrote:
On 25 July, 09:55, Roger Mills wrote:
The symptoms point to the individual handset (or possibly the wiring)
because all the other flats can apparently communicate with the outside
box ok.

The system is probably wired in 6-core phone wire back to spaghetti
junction behind the entry panel.

There's a brick-sized junction box absolutely stuffed full of wires on
the first floor landing, which is probably the 'spaghetti junction' to
which you refer. Last time I was there, I took the lid off to have a
look - and put it back on pretty quickly!

As it uses 4 parallel wires, and 1 call wire per phone, you should
have a spare wire somewhere.

True. Could be a bit of a challenge to find it, though!

The handset mic and common wires (R? and O?) should be wired using a
twisted pair, preferably.

That stacks up with the blurb which accompanies the system diagram,
which says that R and O should use one of the pairs. Not sure which is
the mic though, 'cos the handset and the entry panel each have terminals
labelled T and R (presumably transmit and receive) which are connected
T-T and R-R - so they must be lying at one end or the other!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 25/07/2010 13:32, Owain wrote:
On 25 July, 09:55, Roger Mills wrote:
The symptoms point to the individual handset (or possibly the wiring)
because all the other flats can apparently communicate with the outside
box ok.

The system is probably wired in 6-core phone wire back to spaghetti
junction behind the entry panel.

There's a brick-sized junction box absolutely stuffed full of wires on the
first floor landing, which is probably the 'spaghetti junction' to which
you refer. Last time I was there, I took the lid off to have a look - and
put it back on pretty quickly!

You big softy. I had to second fix this buildings video door entry system
after the guys that first fixed it were fired. Not one cable was labelled.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en-GB&q=sheffield&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Sheffield,+South+ Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&gl=uk&ei=3FdMTMqfBNvNjAf To7DYDA&ved=0CCQQ8gEwAA&ll=53.395364,-1.489377&spn=0,0.006856&z=17&layer=c&cbll=53.39532 5,-1.489524&panoid=yqsBk197HBT-iKDDZizrlw&cbp=12,149.76,,0,18.94

You really need to see if a neighbour will allow a handset swap to test
things out.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

[...]

The panel is the same as ours (Barnton or similar), but I can't remember -
we bought the contract out years ago. The user end is different in
appearance (but not function).

The hand sets are generic - mic, earpiece and a switch, so there are many
options on the marked

Posted to uk.d-i-y
cj cj is offline

Hi
Terminals are simple screw type marked I-T-O-R-Z

A quick test we do to check the phone is pick up the handset and blow into
the mic with the phone at your ear,you should hear it in the earpiece echo
from the door unit.
Good luck
CJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
No Name

On 25 Jul,
"ARWadsworth" wrote:

You big softy. I had to second fix this buildings video door entry system
after the guys that first fixed it were fired. Not one cable was labelled.

One time (about 35 years ago) I had to fix a 45 year old intercom with a
couple of external extensions on armoured (po style) cable. The cables to the
extension had been labelled in a junction box with tie on labels. Should have
been easy to identify, but decorators had been along, and carefully painted
each side of the labels! Curses!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom

"Owain" wrote in message
On 25 July, 19:20, "R. Mark Clayton" wrote:
The panel is the same as ours (Barnton or similar), but I can't remember -
we bought the contract out years ago.

BSTL was resold by Eagle, and probably others.

The user end is different in
appearance (but not function).
The hand sets are generic - mic, earpiece and a switch, so there are many
options on the marked

Not /quite/ generic, Entryphone have a list of compatabilities.
http://www.entryphone.co.uk/pdf/phones.pdf

Not all use carbon transmitters, some use Ac or DC for the call
buzzers, etc

Owain

Oops forgot about the buzzers.

Assuming the wiring is all in place and working, any recommendations for a
modern replacment?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom
cj cj is offline

Hi
Bell still exist and are going strong.
http://www.bellsystem.co.uk/
Check out the 901 entry system (look familiar??)
If you only have 4 wires try Videx
http://www.videx-security.com/

Bell are by far the cheepest doing a 1 way kit with everything except cable
for around £65
CJ

Anyone recognise this boiler? Roger Mills UK diy 44 March 21st 19 03:45 AM
Anybody recognise this? Robin UK diy 15 September 19th 08 01:05 PM
Buy or Sell your Used Construction Equipment; ie. excavators, backhoes, dozers, graders, cranes, compactors, dump trucks, heavy trucks, forestry equipment, farming equipment, mining equipment and much more.... Iron Globe Home Repair 0 May 23rd 07 04:27 PM
Anyone recognise this mixer shower? rrh UK diy 9 April 12th 06 01:59 PM
Anyone recognise this fuse module? Gerd Busker UK diy 3 February 28th 05 02:14 PM