Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New fascia - cost?

I am considering new fascias due to rot at the corners
and a few other areas. Some extend no more than a foot
before becoming solid timber again and other areas more
than three feet. I don't think splicing in new wood would
be the best solution and it would entail a lot of sanding
and painting to match it all in.

The guttering is the culprit for most of the rot and peeling
of paint, the remainder is purely down to age and a lack
of maintenance by the previous owners.

The guttering will be sorted when new fascias are fitted, but
how much could I expect to pay for a 3 bed detached house?
I'd like wood again and not just clad the existing rot with
plastic. (Soffits are pretty much in good order).

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nitro® wrote:
I am considering new fascias due to rot at the corners
and a few other areas. Some extend no more than a foot
before becoming solid timber again and other areas more
than three feet. I don't think splicing in new wood would
be the best solution and it would entail a lot of sanding
and painting to match it all in.

The guttering is the culprit for most of the rot and peeling
of paint, the remainder is purely down to age and a lack
of maintenance by the previous owners.

The guttering will be sorted when new fascias are fitted, but
how much could I expect to pay for a 3 bed detached house?
I'd like wood again and not just clad the existing rot with
plastic. (Soffits are pretty much in good order).

DIY or GAMI (Get a man in) ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article fs12o.203580$9c1.65227@hurricane,
Nitro® writes:
I am considering new fascias due to rot at the corners
and a few other areas. Some extend no more than a foot
before becoming solid timber again and other areas more
than three feet. I don't think splicing in new wood would
be the best solution and it would entail a lot of sanding
and painting to match it all in.

The guttering is the culprit for most of the rot and peeling
of paint, the remainder is purely down to age and a lack
of maintenance by the previous owners.

The guttering will be sorted when new fascias are fitted, but
how much could I expect to pay for a 3 bed detached house?
I'd like wood again and not just clad the existing rot with
plastic. (Soffits are pretty much in good order).

Well, this is a DIY group, so I did my own. Front was done
about 3 months ago, the back about 5 years ago, and the front
bay and porch apron before even that (and still looks as good
as new).

Cladding existing rot is a disaster, and likely to make it rot
faster, and turn into something really serious. So either
replace with timber, or with uPVC. I used timber.

However, facia is just part of maintaining the gutterline,
and I would suggest you do the rest too. I temporarily removed
bottom 2 rows of tiles, ripped off facias, rot-proofed the
wall plate, rafter, and joist ends. (House has no soffits, so
in this case facia is fitted directly to side of wall plate.)
New facias were cut to size and temporarily nailed on to check fit.
Then removed to indoors, rot-proofed, primed, undercoat, topcoat.
Facias fitted, and eaves tray slid under the felt edge and fixed
to the rafters. (Good to check you have eves ventilation too.)
Tiles refitted. New gutters and downpipes fitted. I worked from
scaffolding, which was about £350 to have erected and removed,
and worth every penny. It also allowed for repainting the upstairs
windows.

BTW, buy the new timber facias many weeks beforehand, unwrap,
leave to dry and warp. I get about 2 usable pieces out of a
pack of 5. You can use the rest for boarding the loft, or
something similar.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nitro® wrote:
I am considering new fascias due to rot at the corners
and a few other areas. Some extend no more than a foot
before becoming solid timber again and other areas more
than three feet. I don't think splicing in new wood would
be the best solution and it would entail a lot of sanding
and painting to match it all in.

The guttering is the culprit for most of the rot and peeling
of paint, the remainder is purely down to age and a lack
of maintenance by the previous owners.

The guttering will be sorted when new fascias are fitted, but
how much could I expect to pay for a 3 bed detached house?
I'd like wood again and not just clad the existing rot with
plastic. (Soffits are pretty much in good order).

You are talking about renewing the fascias and guttering in one go really.
It's not feasible to remove then re-use the existing guttering onto new
fascias.
upvc fascias (not coverboard) are approx £20 for 5m lengths.
Guttering is approx £8 for 4m lengths, fittings a few quid each and brackets
a quid a pop.

Working on these rough prices, if your house is 10m X 10m, per elevation you
will need:
2 lengths fascia = £40
3 lengths guttering = £24
fittings = £12
Brackets =£10

About £90 per elevation, plus:

2 boxes pvc headed stainless steel pins for fascia @ £7 = £14
Screws for guttering = £8

Approx £400 for materials, plus:

Without scaffolding, 2 men could do this in 3 days @ say £125 per day

You'd be lucky to get change out of £1200

Don't think about timber, it works out more expensive and the ****e we get
in this country now won't last 15 years, and this is provided you treat it
with preservative a few times and repaint bi-annually.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 23 Jul,
"Phil L" wrote:

Approx £400 for materials, plus:

Without scaffolding, 2 men could do this in 3 days @ say £125 per day

You'd be lucky to get change out of £1200

I've been quoted about that for mine.

However, I've just started on mine, so far £300+ on materials. £200 on
tools/access (A good excuse for extra tools).

However (again) I've now found out why I should have completed roof repairs
about 10 years ago. After removing the first bit of verge has revealed rotten
rafter below. so another 100 (so far) for extra felt and dryridge, and a
summer spent on the roof removing and replacing tiles and assorted underneath
with correctly done detailing.

The original problem was incorrect positioning (and skimping of) underfelt.
This led to water draining into the the timbers below. The front I replaced
the barge boards and sorted the leak 25 years ago. The back I started 12
years ago and did one half properly, planning to continue the next year. This
is teh quadrant I've started on now. I'm braced for more shocks when I remove
the tiles.
I've taken photos, may put them up on completion. A telephoto camera is a
useful inspection tool!

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message newsug2o.46906

You'd be lucky to get change out of £1200

Need a few new windows (single glazed leaded that have bowed
in and out), well they all should be done really, so time to look at
the nationals and locals and drum up a deal.

--
The man who smiles when things go wrong
has thought of someone to blame it on.

Fascia venting (again) Tim Watts UK diy 4 May 29th 10 12:03 AM
Replacing roof fascia On net UK diy 2 August 16th 09 05:53 PM
Siding for soffit and fascia [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 17th 08 11:02 PM
fascia board HomerS Home Repair 6 March 30th 08 04:17 AM
Fascia Mania tonytony Home Repair 1 April 26th 05 01:02 AM