Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do you use crutches?

Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[Default] On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:44:24 +0100, a certain chimpanzee,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zjfpdRlbbA
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have I strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Cheers

Adam

Onto the step with both, and transfer weight forward. Not easy apparently.

OR use them to prop you up while you out the good leg on the next step.
then grab the handrail and use that to haul yourself up and transfer
weight onto the good leg and off the crutches. Then pull the crutches up
with the spare hand.

Alternatively, sleep downstairs for 6 weeks. Seriously. My MIL has
crippling arthritis. She takes 20 minutes to get upstairs every night
and she has two legs that work. Albeit total agony as they do.

My two friends who are paraplegic..nothing works below the waist.. don't
even make the attempt. Bungalow/one floor flat living ONLY.

I've found it *possible* WITHOUT crutches when I have bashed a toe or
something to pull myself up on the handrail by hopping.

I hope you don't live alone..if you do, I think you may need some
friends in.

It depends how much pain you are in and what medical advice you have
received, but a sprain alone is not a reason NOT to use a leg. It hurts
like sin if you do, of course - you know that, but I think you may be
able to get enough use out of it to at least steady yourself without
putting serious weight on it.

I think the first thing is to understand the 'disabled mentality' which
is that some things you thought nothing of, are now serious challenges,
and need to be thought out in advance, planned, and executed carefully
and rather frustratingly slowly.

Thank the stars you are not paraplegic. Faced with crawling face down to
something that you can pull yourself up by, if you fall over and lose
the crutches.

And finally, deepest sympathy - being injured is crap. Just thank
someone somewhere that its not permanent. And shove a payment into 'help
for heroes' sometime, on the basis that you now know a little of what
they go thorough every waking minute of their lives.

Best luck, be patient and you will get there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Best luck, be patient and you will get there.

Have you quite finished?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "ARWadsworth"
saying something like:

Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

Everybugger's different.
Some find that having the affected limb paired with a crutch is the way
forward, others find that having the limb opposite the crutch works for
them. Either way works, but the hospital will tell you the first way.
Going up and down stairs simply needs adapability - you figure it out as
you go, it's not rokkit syens, ffs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article %3H0o.101510$Sl7.82174@hurricane, ARWadsworth
wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the
stairs?

Leave the crutches downstairs. R knee and left foot, with
use of hands for balance etc then hobble about upstairs.

A little exercise is beneficial

--
John Mulrooney

No matter how early you arrive, someone else is in line first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Very carefully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:44:24 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons? When I broke(*) my ankle a
couple of years back they wouldn't let me out with crutches until the
phsyios had shown and seen me move on the flat and negotiate stairs,
up and down, on crutches.

Up: Place both cruches one step above where your feet are, slightly
wider than you shoulders apart. Lean forward lift you body with your
arms and give a slight hop to get the good foot onto the same step as
the crutches.

Down: Similar to up, crutches one step below, if anything lean a
little back lift your body with your arms and slight hop to lower
your good foot onto the same step as the crutches.

The work of lifting/lowering most of your body weight is done by your
arms. You'll soon end up like popeye. B-)

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain? I was hobbling about on my
broken ankle for ten days before one of the nurses that was treating
the other injuries got an inkling that it might be broken and sent me
off for an x-ray... In some ways I'm glad it wasn't discovered for 10
days, otherwise it would have been surgery and some screws to put the
medial malleolus back onto the bottom of the tibia. But after ten
days and it not being a mobile or displaced fracture they just left
it alone, to do anything would have required breaking what had
already healed. So they just stuck a lightweight cast on to stop me
moving it too much and make it hard to put any weight on it for a few
weeks and an inflatable brace for a few more weeks after the cast
came off.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Go up on all fours less the sprained one.
Come down on your bum, with sprained leg crossed.

Prepare for the next sprain:
Buy an Equine instant ice pack off Ebay, you burst a bag in a bag
which makes it go cold. One in the van.
Buy an ice gel pack which you leave in your freezer.

Sprains follow a path.
1 - injury, then immediate bleeding - get ice on FAST. The faster you
get the ice on, the faster you will recover.
2 - stiffness - you need an elasticated bandage. Powerlifter
elasticated knee bandages are the best because they have two
rubberised sections interwoven with the elastic so they naturally grip
when overlapped without having to be tight. That makes a very big
difference in that turning over at night does not wake you up with
pain, it supports without restricted bloodflow. Normal bandages are
crap in comparison.
3 - recovery - load the ankle for 5 mins at a time standing, if pain
builds sit down, repeat every 30mins or so. The body adapts, but there
is a thin line between adaptation & injury so you want to stay in the
adaptation side of it.
4 - re-mobilisation - staying off any joint will result in it becoming
stiff making recovery slower & putting load on other areas. When you
are young this compensation is not noticed, as you get older it is.

Sprains may have a cause.
1 - you may wear one side of your shoes more than another
2 - one leg may be longer than another (not uncommon)
3 - you may have an unknown spinal injury (any history of back
problems?) which can result in foot strike not being particular clear
re feedback when tired (sciatic nerve)
4 - you may have tight hamstrings (to use their short name) which can
increase chance of sprained ankle but also knee loadings

The best thing you can do is twice a week swim for 30mins.
Swimming involves a fluid in front of & behind limbs - so acts as a
natural brake to movement reducing peak loads on joints, ligaments &
muscles. It is a wonderful rehab medium. Swimming also, critically,
strengths muscles that are not normally used which means they can be
compensatory for other problems. Remember when you have any injury the
body seeks to compensate, in doing so that can create problems in
itself. Swimming is very effective. Humans have not fully adapted to
walking on two legs, there are a few hundred thousand years to go yet
re L5-Sacrum angles. Some people are several hundred thousand years
behind, but they tend to work at Argos. Doing 20 lengths a week twice
(or 30min starting out) is quite sufficient, the benefits are very
noticeable skeletally, musculatory & circulatory in later life.
Medicine is great at giving a **** quality of life for longer :-)

Considering your occupation is notorious for injuries, start swimming
because it makes a big difference re shoulders, intercostal muscle
strength (ribs), knees, ankles & particularly back. Specifically it
will improve your "gait" - the way you walk becomes less falling and
more controlled muscle motion. You can always spot a well practiced
sprinter, because they walk in slow motion with proper pelvic control
& balance :-) You can always spot an idle one because when they run
they do not lift their knees, usually girls because their mothers
screamed "you can keep your bleedin' legs together even when you run
you tart!".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Cheers

Adam

Sideways with only one stick or on your bum. BTAGTTS more then ones.
\0

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
ARWadsworth wrote:
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

You DON'T !....

Unless you want some more broken bits to add to those you've got!...

Cheers

Adam

Onto the step with both, and transfer weight forward. Not easy apparently.

OR use them to prop you up while you out the good leg on the next step.
then grab the handrail and use that to haul yourself up and transfer
weight onto the good leg and off the crutches. Then pull the crutches up
with the spare hand.

Alternatively, sleep downstairs for 6 weeks. Seriously. My MIL has
crippling arthritis. She takes 20 minutes to get upstairs every night
and she has two legs that work. Albeit total agony as they do.

Poor old soul, give her my best regards from a fellow "Arthur" suffer
tho not as bad that that yet;!..

Yes when I was laid up last year with a broken Femur that was the best
option, downstairs. After that wheelchair and then Zimmer frame and then
the crutches, 'tho I could NEVER get on with the ones under the armpits
the elbow ones were far more successful...

Getting up the stairs was a PITA literally!, and rather awkward took
quite some time it did and never felt that it was something I wanted to
do alone in the house either..

[...]

Second that..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 18:44:24 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons? When I broke(*) my ankle a
couple of years back they wouldn't let me out with crutches until the
phsyios had shown and seen me move on the flat and negotiate stairs,
up and down, on crutches.

I have not been to hospital.

Up: Place both cruches one step above where your feet are, slightly
wider than you shoulders apart. Lean forward lift you body with your
arms and give a slight hop to get the good foot onto the same step as
the crutches.

Down: Similar to up, crutches one step below, if anything lean a
little back lift your body with your arms and slight hop to lower
your good foot onto the same step as the crutches.

That seems to work

The work of lifting/lowering most of your body weight is done by your
arms. You'll soon end up like popeye. B-)

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain?

No.

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

So who gave you the crutches then?

We pay 36 billion a year for the NHS. £500 a year for every man woman
and child.

Might as well get your moneys worth.

Get an X-ray.

And experience more radiation in a second than you get from the entire
global nuclear power industry in a year! (including Chernobyl)

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 00:38:09 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I have not been to hospital.

So where did the crutches come from? Have you been shown or told the
correct length/height for them, that makes quite a difference to how
easy they are to use and it's not quite as intuative as one might
think.

That seems to work

For got to add make sure the crutches are firmly placed on a secure
surface (any lose rugs get rid of 'em!) and that the load is near
vertical.

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain?

No.

Get yourself off to hospital and get an x-ray. I didn't think I'd
broken mine but the medial malleolus was completely detached from the
bottom of the tibia. If your wondering what the medial malleolus is,
it's the bony sticky out bit on the inside of your ankle.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain? I was hobbling about on my
broken ankle for ten days before one of the nurses that was treating
the other injuries got an inkling that it might be broken and sent me
off for an x-ray...

Something similar happened to a work colleague 25 years ago.
He and his wife had booked a long holiday in some slightly 3rd
world location I don't recall, for which he'd saved up 2 years
worth of leave to take consecutively. First couple of days of
his holiday was actually preparation and shopping prior to
departure. During the shopping, he stepped off a kerb and badly
twisted his ankle. Spent next several hours in A&E, where it
was checked, X-rayed, etc, and he was sent home with pain killers
for a sprain.

Anyway, off they went on holday, him hobbling. After another
couple of days on holiday, he still couldn't walk and ended up
in a wheel chair, which he spent most of the holiday in.
When they eventually arrived home, they were greeted with a
letter from the hospital which had been sitting on the doormat
all the time they were away, saying the X-ray had been misread,
and he had a broken ankle. Anyway, that meant they could write
off the holiday as sick leave and claim on the holiday insurance,
and a few months later, they took it again. I don't recall if
any more treatment was applied to the ankle - I imagine it would
have healed by itself after that length of time.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"js.b1" writes:
Buy an ice gel pack which you leave in your freezer.

A large bag of frozen peas works very well too.
If you are out when it happens, you might be able
to pop in to a local shop and buy one. (Once thawed,
don't eat the peas though - they go off very fast
when they start warming up.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 July, 18:44, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Cheers

Adam

When I was given crutches by a hospital in the 80s they taught me:
"Bad foot first down to hell, good foot first up to heaven". Can't
quite remember how the crutches fit into this, but it seemed to work
at the time. Be aware that the current advice may be different and my
memory ain't what it used to be!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

A neighbour whose son had sprained an ankle a few weeks ago! I offered to
drop them back at the hospital for him as I have already got an appointment
there on Tuesday.

We pay 36 billion a year for the NHS. £500 a year for every man woman and
child.

Might as well get your moneys worth.

Get an X-ray.

And experience more radiation in a second than you get from the entire
global nuclear power industry in a year! (including Chernobyl)

I have had 3 X-rays of my teeth already this year:-(

The swelling is going down and so is the amount of pain. Lots of nice
brusing.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 18, 10:56*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
[...]

As someone else said, are you finished yet? Are these imponerably long
replies some kind of ego trip?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 July, 18:44, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Cheers

Adam

A close friend's wife had a knee replacement op on this past Wednesday
- cut the knee open and S/S inserts top and bottom, etc. (without
general aneasthetic). Home on Saturday, out walking with sticks - not
crutches - for 15 mins on Sunday in the local park. Stairs are no
problem it seems.

Don't be a woose :) .

I suspect that ironically a bad sprain is possible more painful. My
wife went over a step some years back and the ankle swelled up
enormously; she went to A & E, checked it over and signed her up for
immediate physio which was great rehabilitation.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Cheers

Adam

I hope you don't live alone..if you do, I think you may need some friends
in.

I do live alone. However the girlfiend only lives two streets away and my
next door neighbour has done my shopping for me!

And finally, deepest sympathy - being injured is crap. Just thank someone
somewhere that its not permanent. And shove a payment into 'help for
heroes' sometime, on the basis that you now know a little of what they go
thorough every waking minute of their lives.

Best luck, be patient and you will get there.

Thanks

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 19 July, 13:04, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
I do live alone. However the girlfiend only lives two streets away and my
next door neighbour has done my shopping for me!

Is that out of sympathy, or fear ;-)

Owain

No bad neighbours on my street since the dickheads moved out.
The one that did the shopping for me was the one that last year posted his
house key and a note asking me to feed his cat as he had chopped a finger
off:-)

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

one crutch only - on bad leg side ... bad leg first going down, good leg
first going up ..... hold on to banister

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You of all people should know what to do with a crutch :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Sit on 2nd bottom step. Put good leg on bottom step, hands on 4th step,
lift bum to third step.

When you get to top shout for wife to bring crutches. Or bring them
with you, but it'll be clumsy.

You should be OK doing that with a sprain that hurts with weight.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Well someone else here must have used them and may be able to help.

I sprained my right foot/ankle 4 days ago and I am now using crutches to
help me get around.

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Don't tell me matey found out who put that car outside his house ;o)
Seriously though, I hope it clears up quickly.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to create
them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years ago

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years ago

Please give to the NHS. Or return them, as the case may be. A little
off our tax bills!

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to create
them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

How are you going to get them when you next need them?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Champ
saying something like:

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years ago

Please give to the NHS. Or return them, as the case may be. A little
off our tax bills!

Those days are gone. H&S fears means they chuck them in the skip.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
geoff wrote:
I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

Please give to the NHS. Or return them, as the case may be. A little
off our tax bills!

Bought them in Austria

I'm hanging on to them, as I shall need another knee op in the near
future

I really don't think there's a mechanism for taking them back

After my father died, there were various items - catheters etc which my
mother tried taking back to the hospital (still sealed and boxed up) -
they weren't interested

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:04:38 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

(*) Are you sure it's just a sprain? I was hobbling about on my
broken ankle for ten days before one of the nurses that was

treating
the other injuries got an inkling that it might be broken and sent

me
off for an x-ray...

When they eventually arrived home, they were greeted with a
letter from the hospital which had been sitting on the doormat
all the time they were away, saying the X-ray had been misread,
and he had a broken ankle.

Nasty. I think I would have been jumping up and down to sue the
hospital for something.

No chance of that with my x-ray, the one taken side on looked OK,
until you spotted the tiny chips of bone at the impact site but the
one taken looking from the toes to ankle even I could see the
fracture when I was 6' from the light box. IIRC I said to the
radiographer "That's not supposed to be like that is it?"...

I don't recall if any more treatment was applied to the ankle - I
imagine it would have healed by itself after that length of time.

One can only assume it was a small hairline fracture and that is why
it was missed, still not an excuse though. If they had been away for
even a week or two that would have been too long to do much. Assuming
4 or 6 weeks then it'll have almost completely healed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message _Q31o.3$ja2.0@hurricane, Clot writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to create
them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

How are you going to get them when you next need them?

I'll ask Adam how to climb stairs when you're a crip - he'll be an
expert by then

or ...

send the missus up to get them

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:06:24 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Please give to the NHS. Or return them, as the case may be. A

little
off our tax bills!

Those days are gone. H&S fears means they chuck them in the skip.

Aye, I took the ones I had back but it was clear they didn't really
know what to do with them. I can understand the H&S aspect as they
don't know what sort of treatment they have had but I should imagine
that it can't be that hard to send them to a place that checks 'em
over and refurbishes for re-use. Or even if they don't want to do
that, collect for the scrap ali and recycle them that way.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message _Q31o.3$ja2.0@hurricane, Clot
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to create
them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

How are you going to get them when you next need them?

I'll ask Adam how to climb stairs when you're a crip - he'll be an
expert by then

that caused me some mirth

or ...

send the missus up to get them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message _Q31o.3$ja2.0@hurricane, Clot
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Andy
Burns writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to create
them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

How are you going to get them when you next need them?

I'll ask Adam how to climb stairs when you're a crip - he'll be an
expert by then

that caused me some mirth

or ...

send the missus up to get them

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message _Q31o.3$ja2.0@hurricane, Clot
writes
geoff wrote:
In message ,
Andy Burns writes

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

ARWadsworth wrote:

How are you supposed to use them to get up and down the
stairs?

Didn't the hospital give you lessons?

I have not been to hospital.

So who gave you the crutches then?

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Simple-Crutches

Doesn't that require a certain amount of mobility in order to
create them?

I have my crutches up in the loft - from a skiing accident 25 years
ago

How are you going to get them when you next need them?

I'll ask Adam how to climb stairs when you're a crip - he'll be an
expert by then

that caused me some mirth

Hmm? Sorry about the echo.

And also apologies to you Adam at having a laugh at your expense!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 23:06:24 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Please give to the NHS. Or return them, as the case may be. A

little
off our tax bills!

Those days are gone. H&S fears means they chuck them in the skip.

Aye, I took the ones I had back but it was clear they didn't really
know what to do with them. I can understand the H&S aspect as they
don't know what sort of treatment they have had but I should imagine
that it can't be that hard to send them to a place that checks 'em
over and refurbishes for re-use. Or even if they don't want to do
that, collect for the scrap ali and recycle them that way.

It's absolutely mental. I distinctly recall my first big bike accident
and the crutches that came with it. I was encouraged to hand them back,
as they would be checked and re-issued. That was back in the days when
such things were normal.