Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default Earth for new CU

Hi,

Thinking of putting in another CU. Can I take the earth to
the first CU or do I have to take it to the earth rod?

John

--
John Mulrooney

Tidy desk tiny mind!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 17, 6:37*pm, JTM wrote:
Thinking of putting in another CU. *Can I take the earth to
the first CU or do I have to take it to the earth rod?

Generally the earth rod 6491X would be taken to your own MET, Main
Earthing Terminal. These are range from a simple nickel plated brass
block with screws (£2-4 off Ebay) to fancy brass type mounted on
Phenolic (£20). Basically if the DNO does not provide you with an
earth (TN-S or TN-C-S/PME) then you provide one yourself AND maintain
it yourself.

You would then run 6491X from your own MET to your CU(s).

Check your earth is of the correct size re regs - 6491X unprotected
loose in the ground is 16mm, in 20mm flexible conduit to the earth rod
cover I would use 4mm which is going to be much cheaper if the run is
long. Also check your MEB, Main Equipotential Bonding, is correct re
bonding to water & gas pipes that enter the house. Since you have a TT
supply, ensure RCD protection is operating correctly.

Is this in France or UK?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JTM writes:
Hi,

Thinking of putting in another CU. Can I take the earth to
the first CU or do I have to take it to the earth rod?

You should take it to the system's main earthing terminal.
That might be in the first CU, or it might be separate.
It's the point where all the service cross-bonding, the
earth(s) from the circuits, and the earth connection from
the supplier or earth rods (via a Voltage Operated ELCB if
fitted) are all connected together.

You need to bring the whole system up to current earthing
standards too, if it isn't already (including replacing
any Voltage Operated ELCB with RCD(s)), and test the
effectiveness of any earth rod(s).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/07/10 18:59, js.b1 wrote:
On Jul 17, 6:37 pm, wrote:
Thinking of putting in another CU. Can I take the earth to
the first CU or do I have to take it to the earth rod?

Generally the earth rod 6491X would be taken to your own MET, Main
Earthing Terminal. These are range from a simple nickel plated brass
block with screws (£2-4 off Ebay) to fancy brass type mounted on
Phenolic (£20). Basically if the DNO does not provide you with an
earth (TN-S or TN-C-S/PME) then you provide one yourself AND maintain
it yourself.

Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-WAY-EARTH-NE...item255aa68f16

8 WAY EARTH / NEUTRAL METAL CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"george [dicegeorge]" writes:
On 17/07/10 18:59, js.b1 wrote:
On Jul 17, 6:37 pm, wrote:
Thinking of putting in another CU. Can I take the earth to
the first CU or do I have to take it to the earth rod?

Generally the earth rod 6491X would be taken to your own MET, Main
Earthing Terminal. These are range from a simple nickel plated brass
block with screws (£2-4 off Ebay) to fancy brass type mounted on
Phenolic (£20). Basically if the DNO does not provide you with an
earth (TN-S or TN-C-S/PME) then you provide one yourself AND maintain
it yourself.

Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8-WAY-EARTH-NE...item255aa68f16

8 WAY EARTH / NEUTRAL METAL CONNECTOR / TERMINAL BLOCK

Yes, but should be significantly cheaper than that.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article
,
js.b1 wrote:
Is this in France or UK?

This is France. All water pipes are PER and gas tank has
its own earth spike.

Tks.

--
John Mulrooney

Love is for sharing.

Earth the car? Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 41 December 19th 09 08:33 AM
O/T: Earth Day Lew Hodgett[_2_] Woodworking 25 April 25th 08 10:55 PM
Earth? The Medway Handyman UK diy 14 March 16th 08 07:32 PM
SWA earth Stephen Gower UK diy 10 October 21st 03 03:38 PM