Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newton's cradle

Matty F wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:42 pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/pdfs/L...uperclamps.pdf

(you could DIY a slightly neater looking version I'm sure)

or these if the crimp marks could be concealed:

http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/pdfs/L...0O%20Clips.pdf

In any event clips would be good for quick non-destructive testing of
the dynamic properties of various ball materials.

I think I could make some neat clips out of strips of sheetmetal and
roll the join together.

Nobody had mentioned duct tape. I have some clear duct tape!
I have now bought the billiard balls (new) for almost nothing.

Would a single cable tie secured in place with something like Loctite to
stop it slipping off work?

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Jul 5, 12:47 pm, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Jul 4, 11:55 am, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

Forget the billiard balls and go looking for the largest ball bearing
available. They might come from some very heavy machinery, not
necessarily with wheels! Steel is much more elastic than billiard
ball
material. I mean elastic in the physical sense not like rubber.

I've already considered steel balls. If they were the size of billiard
balls or bigger, they would be very heavy and would squash the fingers
of the unwary and OSH would be nasty to me.
I have considered steel rods in wooden balls. I may go back to that
seeing as the billiard balls are going to be more expensive than I
thought.

This thing works because and only because of the elastic property of
steel.

Where were you when I last discussed this? You mean my billiard balls
won't work now that I bought them?
However I just tested them. They seem to work fine!

Putting "newton's cradle" into youtube brought up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFNe_pFZrsA
and
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulOrse.../2/ohC9u8M7ZiQ

The guy has a website
http://www.orselli.net/

However I liked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lkn6fMn9eqU

Cheers

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:42 pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/pdfs/L...uperclamps.pdf

(you could DIY a slightly neater looking version I'm sure)

or these if the crimp marks could be concealed:

http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/pdfs/L...0O%20Clips.pdf

In any event clips would be good for quick non-destructive testing of
the dynamic properties of various ball materials.

I think I could make some neat clips out of strips of sheetmetal and
roll the join together.

Nobody had mentioned duct tape. I have some clear duct tape!
I have now bought the billiard balls (new) for almost nothing.

Would a single cable tie secured in place with something like Loctite to
stop it slipping off work?

Tim

Loctite sticks to plastic?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:19:18 -0700, Matty F wrote:

OK I've decided to use billiard balls for my Newton's cradle. But I
would rather not drill into the balls or try to glue things on them.
How can I hold the balls in position? This very large version has some
rings, which is what I am considering:
http://i48.tinypic.com/1euurq.jpg

hmm, one elegant approach might be a disc of metal (washers with very
large inner diameters) at each side of the ball and four rods connecting
them, forming a cage around the ball. With the right kind of metal, acorn
nuts etc. I think it could look quite interesting.