Newton's cradle

Old July 4th 10, 12:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Newton's cradle

Dave Liquorice
wibbled on Sunday 04 July 2010 11:47

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 18:19:18 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

But I would rather not drill into the balls or try to glue things on
them. How can I hold the balls in position?

Not wishing to damage the balls makes things tricky... Getting a ring
of individual rings to stay in the right place under the shocks may
also prove interesting, the rings on the image you linked to show
them displaced...

But people are likely to pull the balls out if they can, and I would
rather have a couple of large rings, one on each side, centered on the
point of impact. I'll have to tie them together somehow.

6 rings sized so that they just meet at four points when placed onto
the surface for the ball? Suspension points taken from opposite
points on one ring, stops the possible twisting problem.

Joining the rings might be fun, how about some netting with a 3/4" or
there abouts mesh? Make into a draw string bag perhaps witha solid
ring to make the "draw string" and provide suspension points.

Tie wraps and a tie gun. Tighten the ties gradually and in a sequence to
keep tension balanced on the rings. The wraps will lie *fairly* flat after
the use of a gun and no-one will be nicking the balls (unless they cut the
wraps).

I'm thinking metal curtain rings to match the balls might be a low effort
method. I'm sure there would be some rings that would suit billiard balls or
similar.

--
Tim Watts

Old July 4th 10, 07:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Sack? I use a wheelbarrow.

That sounds unfeasible.

You might want to read up on Elephantiasis. but _not_ if you are squeamish.

Andy
Old July 4th 10, 09:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On 4 July, 19:56, Andy Champ wrote:
You might want to read up on Elephantiasis. *but _not_ if you are squeamish.

"Daddy wouldn't buy me a spacehopper"
http://elephantiasis.freeyellow.com/eleph-fiji.gif

Now, if you could just find another 5 sufferers ...

--
geoff
Old July 4th 10, 10:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On 4 July, 21:14, geoff wrote:
"Daddy wouldn't buy me a spacehopper"

Now, if you could just find another 5 sufferers ...

... there's be enough for a freakshow edition of Come Dine With Me.

Apparently it's possible to D-I-Y with sterile saline injection.

And we have a new invention

Laydeez 'n gentilmin, I give you ...

Newton's Crotch

--
geoff
Old July 4th 10, 11:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Andy Champ
saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Sack? I use a wheelbarrow.

That sounds unfeasible.

You might want to read up on Elephantiasis. but _not_ if you are squeamish.

That'd be a whoosh, then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buster_Gonad
Old July 5th 10, 12:00 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain
saying something like:

"Daddy wouldn't buy me a spacehopper"
http://elephantiasis.freeyellow.com/eleph-fiji.gif

Jeez, there's a bloke in his bollock.
Old July 5th 10, 12:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 4, 8:42 pm, Mike Barnes wrote:
http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/pdfs/L...uperclamps.pdf

(you could DIY a slightly neater looking version I'm sure)

or these if the crimp marks could be concealed:

http://www.jubileeclips.co.uk/pdfs/L...0O%20Clips.pdf

In any event clips would be good for quick non-destructive testing of
the dynamic properties of various ball materials.

I think I could make some neat clips out of strips of sheetmetal and
roll the join together.

Nobody had mentioned duct tape. I have some clear duct tape!
I have now bought the billiard balls (new) for almost nothing.
Old July 5th 10, 01:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote:
On Jul 4, 11:55 am, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

Forget the billiard balls and go looking for the largest ball bearing
available. They might come from some very heavy machinery, not
necessarily with wheels! Steel is much more elastic than billiard ball
material. I mean elastic in the physical sense not like rubber.

I've already considered steel balls. If they were the size of billiard
balls or bigger, they would be very heavy and would squash the fingers
of the unwary and OSH would be nasty to me.
I have considered steel rods in wooden balls. I may go back to that
seeing as the billiard balls are going to be more expensive than I
thought.

This thing works because and only because of the elastic property of steel.

Old July 5th 10, 01:48 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Gib Bogle
writes
geoff wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes
OK I've decided to use billiard balls for my Newton's cradle.
But I would rather not drill into the balls or try to glue things on
them.
How can I hold the balls in position?
Large scrotal sack

Sack? I use a wheelbarrow.

That might explain your sexual problems

Elephantiasis of the testicles is no joke!

Old July 5th 10, 02:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 5, 12:47 pm, Roger Dewhurst wrote:
Matty F wrote:
On Jul 4, 11:55 am, Roger Dewhurst wrote:

Forget the billiard balls and go looking for the largest ball bearing
available. They might come from some very heavy machinery, not
necessarily with wheels! Steel is much more elastic than billiard ball
material. I mean elastic in the physical sense not like rubber.

I've already considered steel balls. If they were the size of billiard
balls or bigger, they would be very heavy and would squash the fingers
of the unwary and OSH would be nasty to me.
I have considered steel rods in wooden balls. I may go back to that
seeing as the billiard balls are going to be more expensive than I
thought.

This thing works because and only because of the elastic property of steel.

Where were you when I last discussed this? You mean my billiard balls
won't work now that I bought them?
However I just tested them. They seem to work fine!