Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Double glazing question

Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 July, 23:44, Mike Lane wrote:
Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

--

Double glazing suppliers (as least some of them) can provide a hole
through both panes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Lane
saying something like:

Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

The supplier can do that.
http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391146038.aspx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Lane
saying something like:

Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be
difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

The supplier can do that.
http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391146038.aspx

Any chance of a ceiling vented fan? (presuming the bathroom is upstairs.)

Vent out through facia / eaves?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John
wibbled on Sunday 04 July 2010 09:12

Any chance of a ceiling vented fan? (presuming the bathroom is upstairs.)

Vent out through facia / eaves?

I've done this. BES for ducting, including rectangular flexi for getting
over the last "3 foot" over the wall plate. TLC for "chrome" round ceiling
vent. Solar and Palau inline fan. Fan fairly quite, motor wise. Rectangular
vent in soffit required a jigsaw. Removing soffit was not required - can
pull the ducting through with a rope.

Internal ceiling vent not so quiet due to massive suckage of said fan!
Having said that, I did want a high extract rate so noise is inevitable
unless I used a huge vent. Slower fan may be a good option if you don't need
to clear the air fast.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 15:52:10 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson wrote:

On 3 July, 23:44, Mike Lane wrote:
Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

--

Double glazing suppliers (as least some of them) can provide a hole
through both panes
for this purpose. They put in an edging strip like the one around the
outside edge.
I've not seen one without a fan fitted. Must look a bit weird !
Simon.

One of the local Chinese chippies has such a pane with the fan missing -
I'm suprised they don't get rubbish thrown through it at night as it's just
above head height!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote on Jul 4, 2010:

drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Lane
saying something like:

Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be
difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

The supplier can do that.
http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391146038.aspx

Thanks for the replies - very helpful!

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote on Jul 4, 2010:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Mike Lane
saying something like:

Not really a diy question (and may be silly) but...

I'm thinking of having double glazing fitted in my bathroom, and I'm
wondering about an extractor fan that I have mounted in one of the window
panes. It really is in the best position as it is, and it would be
difficult
to move it anywhere else.

Is there any way I can mount the fan in a double glazed unit?

The supplier can do that.
http://myreader.co.uk/msg/1391146038.aspx

Any chance of a ceiling vented fan? (presuming the bathroom is upstairs.)

Vent out through facia / eaves?

Possibly, but it sounds expensive - and unnecessary if I can leave it where
it is. (Possible according to above link.)

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

Double glazing Tim Streater UK diy 4 January 23rd 10 05:54 PM
Double Glazing George UK diy 1 April 3rd 08 05:54 PM
Double Glazing Red Devil UK diy 4 January 2nd 08 08:25 PM
Double Glazing mj UK diy 6 September 2nd 04 01:48 PM
Quick question - double glazing - felt trim on sliding doors John Kelly UK diy 2 February 15th 04 10:15 PM