Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oven not heating up?

I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so
does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

The top small oven still produces heat.

This fault coincided with a power cut caused by a light bulb blowing
and the power supply tripped.

The oven is only a couple of years old.

What is it likely to be?

Would I be able to get the part and fix it myself?

Steve............
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember dog-man saying
something like:

I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so
does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

The top small oven still produces heat.

This fault coincided with a power cut caused by a light bulb blowing
and the power supply tripped.

The oven is only a couple of years old.

What is it likely to be?

Would I be able to get the part and fix it myself?

Identify the fault first, whether it's the regulator or 'stat (often
combined) or the element. You can likely get the bits easily enough from
http://www.espares.co.uk/

http://shop.ezee-fix.co.uk/

http://www.apart4u.co.uk/cooker-spare-parts.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 03:54:08 -0700 (PDT), dog-man wrote:
I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so
does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

Most likely the oven element has failed. These often trip the MCB or RCD
when they blow, which explains the electric tripping out.

It's normally quite easy and cheap to get and fit a replacement element. I
had the same problem with my Whirlpool oven last year. I got a replacement
element from cookerfix for about GBP 25 and it took about ten minutes to
fit it. Problem solved.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 July, 12:51, Caecilius wrote:
On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 03:54:08 -0700 (PDT), dog-man wrote:
I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so
does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

Most likely the oven element has failed. *These often trip the MCB or RCD
when they blow, which explains the electric tripping out.

It's normally quite easy and cheap to get and fit a replacement element. *I
had the same problem with my Whirlpool oven last year. *I got a replacement
element from cookerfix for about GBP 25 and it took about ten minutes to
fit it. *Problem solved.

Ovens are pretty simple assemblies so it is a screw driver and
multimeter task to identify the component. As said, the bits a
readily available.

I had a funny some years back where the RCD tripped when the oven
light (switch 1st position) was switched on. Disconnected the light
totally and it still tripped - turned out that it was an earth to
neutral failure in the element and for some reason the switch's 1st
position put the neutral onto the element.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dog-man" wrote in message
I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so
does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

The top small oven still produces heat.

This fault coincided with a power cut caused by a light bulb blowing
and the power supply tripped.

The oven is only a couple of years old.

What is it likely to be?

Would I be able to get the part and fix it myself?

Steve............

Most likely the oven element was playing up and took the bulb with it when
it died. Had a similar problem - worse - when elements in oven, kettle and
washing machine were all wearing out at the same time: caused an awful lot
of head scratching until I had replaced all three elements: blamed loads of
other things first!

First thing: the warrantee: if your oven is only 2 y old, it *might* be
better to leave it up to them. On the other hand, it can still cost an arm
and leg even then, and elements are usually fairly cheap as they regularly
go, and there are usually plenty of pattern parts about.

Don't know about the Indesit, but our Bosch was pretty difficult to suss as
the fault looked like it was in the electronic controls: as if they kept
resetting themselves to 150C, for some time, before the element finally died
altogether. Turned out the main element had *two* circuits, that had died
separately. If you find that there are 4 contacts on your element do be
sure to label them and make a note of which goes where. I found it very
difficult to work out for certain as the colours in the Bosch on line manual
were different from mine (most 'amusing' was Bosch's propensity for putting
*black* live wires all over the place!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 4, 11:54*am, dog-man wrote:
I have an Indesit double oven. (Don't know model as I type)

Yesterday, the main oven didn't produce any heat. The fan comes on, so
does the oven light and everything looks ok except there is no heat.

The top small oven still produces heat.

This fault coincided with a power cut caused by a light bulb blowing
and the power supply tripped.

The oven is only a couple of years old.

What is it likely to be?

Would I be able to get the part and fix it myself?

Most likely a fried element. Less likely a faulty thermostat or a
burnt up connector. A multimeter will quickly tell you which. If you
dont have a multimeter, Rapid online does them from just £2.44 now.

NT

Help with Bosch Oven not heating Joe UK diy 10 March 27th 08 05:53 PM
Oven not heating Endulini UK diy 2 February 14th 08 05:29 PM
Elec oven heating element broken MoonsOfJupiter Home Repair 4 May 11th 07 10:21 AM
Electric Wall Oven heating higher than dial Wood Crow Home Repair 6 February 7th 07 03:37 AM
GE oven not heating properly [email protected] Home Repair 11 January 15th 05 09:04 PM