Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Two-way and intermediate switches

I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching the
landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long landing with
six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Cheers and TIA

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John
wibbled on Wednesday 30 June 2010 20:37

I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching
the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long
landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the
landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Cheers and TIA

You can have zero or more intermediate switches.

Think about it:

Normal 2-way means that you send voltage either wire A or wire B. The lamp
lights if both switches are set to both Wire A *or* both wire B.

The intermediate switch is a funky little beast (that doesn't exist in any
normal equipment switch range say in Maplin or RS) that swaps wire A and B
over.

Each time you swap A and B you change the state of the lamp, but the end
switches can still also change the state of the lamp.

You can therefore have as many swappers (int switches) as you like, subject
to resistance constraints.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:37:40 +0100, John wrote:

I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching
the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long
landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on
the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

You can have as many as you like. Think of it like this:

Normal 2 way switch at each end, with 2 wires joining them, yes? (OK,
neutral and CPC as well, but they are the same everywhere)/.

In an intermediate switch, all that happens is that the switch crosses
the two wires over (an 'X' switch).

Think about it. As many of those as you like, each crossing the wires
over again. Operating any of them reverses the wires - and there is light.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching the
landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long landing with
six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Cheers and TIA

You can have as many intermediates as you want.

Have a look he

http://i45.tinypic.com/33ynb4m.jpg

Just keep adding intermediates between the "end stop" two-way switches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching the
landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long landing with
six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Cheers and TIA

I'm thinking of putting these switches left/right
instead of up/down
as up is not always off, and down is not always on,
if you see what i mean!

Or is there a convention that all up means off?

[g]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Osborne
writes
John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching the
landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long landing with
six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

You can have as many intermediates as you want.

Have a look he

http://i45.tinypic.com/33ynb4m.jpg

Just keep adding intermediates between the "end stop" two-way switches.

Like the diagram :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiway_switching has a good sequence of
diagrams at the bottom showing the idea with just one intermediate which
the o/p could expand upon on paper.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching
the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long
landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on
the landing).

He's right. I have six switches on the ground floor hall light circuit.

--
*Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

There is a diagram of the internal switch wiring he
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch had my brain aching a bit till I saw
it.

Each time you swap A and B you change the state of the lamp, but the end
switches can still also change the state of the lamp.

You can therefore have as many swappers (int switches) as you like,
subject
to resistance constraints.

Cheers

Tim
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 30/06/2010 22:44, John wrote:

Here are some we drew earlier:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Way_Switching

Personally I don't care for the term 3-way Switching.

Feel free to change it to something better... "Three way (or more)
switching" perhaps?

Multi-point switching?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 11:15*pm, "Stewith" wrote:
A bit pedantic, but may be a bit of knowledge to some....

All wiki articles refer to LIVE and SWITCHED LIVE, but should
technically be refered to as Line and SWITCHED LINE.

Both the LINE and NEUTRAL conductors are LIVE.

The purpose of wiki articles is to inform. Every DIYer understands the
terms live & neutral, but only some understand line. In this case
nothing would be gained by rewording it to line imho.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2010 21:49, John Rumm wrote:
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Here are some we drew earlier:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._Way_Switching

That page should probably say something about the flickering problems
you can get with low-energy fluorescent fittings - the capacitance of
all those conductors running parallel within the 3-way cables can throw
them in a tizz.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think
switching the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but
it's a long landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its
own switch on the landing).

He's right. I have six switches on the ground floor hall light
circuit.

Thanks very much everyone. I now owe my mate a pint as he's the winner of
the bet :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching
the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long
landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on
the landing).

He's right. I have six switches on the ground floor hall light circuit.

Isn't that getting to the point where a PIR would be better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:
He's right. I have six switches on the ground floor hall light circuit.

Isn't that getting to the point where a PIR would be better?

Given the switches are over two and a half floors, no. And I'm not sure
how common those were when I did the wiring. ;-)

--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 1, 11:45*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/07/2010 08:54, NT wrote:

On Jun 30, 11:15 pm, *wrote:
A bit pedantic, but may be a bit of knowledge to some....

All wiki articles refer to LIVE and SWITCHED LIVE, but should
technically be refered to as Line and SWITCHED LINE.

Both the LINE and NEUTRAL conductors are LIVE.

The purpose of wiki articles is to inform. Every DIYer understands the
terms live& *neutral, but only some understand line. In this case
nothing would be gained by rewording it to line imho.

While I agree in principle that the meaning is quite clear as it stands
(stood), I can also see an argument for adopting the terminology being
used by the IET since it does tend to filter down through other
publications and sources of information over time.

Yes, to some extent. But from what I've seen it remains minority usage
only among DIYers. The terms line and phase have been around a long
time, but the great majority of diyers call it live. Ditto other terms
such as describing mains as low voltage - most people havent adopted
that either.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember NT saying
something like:

Ditto other terms
such as describing mains as low voltage - most people havent adopted
that either.

Yes, I wonder what bright spark thought that up.
The utter clot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 1, 9:52*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/07/2010 20:10, NT wrote:

On Jul 1, 11:45 am, John *wrote:
On 01/07/2010 08:54, NT wrote:

On Jun 30, 11:15 pm, * *wrote:
A bit pedantic, but may be a bit of knowledge to some....

All wiki articles refer to LIVE and SWITCHED LIVE, but should
technically be refered to as Line and SWITCHED LINE.

Both the LINE and NEUTRAL conductors are LIVE.

The purpose of wiki articles is to inform. Every DIYer understands the
terms live& * *neutral, but only some understand line. In this case
nothing would be gained by rewording it to line imho.

While I agree in principle that the meaning is quite clear as it stands
(stood), I can also see an argument for adopting the terminology being
used by the IET since it does tend to filter down through other
publications and sources of information over time.

Yes, to some extent. But from what I've seen it remains minority usage
only among DIYers. The terms line and phase have been around a long

Phase used to get reasonable usage. Line was until recently typically
thought of as an Americanism.

time, but the great majority of diyers call it live. Ditto other terms
such as describing mains as low voltage - most people havent adopted
that either.

Agreed, does not mean we need to be wrong along with them thogh - but
perhaps we ought to do a bit more hand holding and explaining...

We're not wrong, that's the point.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 01/07/2010 20:10, NT wrote:
On Jul 1, 11:45 am, John wrote:
On 01/07/2010 08:54, NT wrote:

On Jun 30, 11:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

Depends on the purpose of the Wiki really. The terms line & phase may be
technically correct, but if they confuse the reader?

Why not use the generally accepted & understood term 'live' with an
explanation of the correct terms as a footnote?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 2:37*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/07/2010 00:58, NT wrote:

On Jul 1, 9:52 pm, John *wrote:
On 01/07/2010 20:10, NT wrote:

On Jul 1, 11:45 am, John * *wrote:
On 01/07/2010 08:54, NT wrote:

On Jun 30, 11:15 pm, * * *wrote:
[...]

Well as was pointed out, referring to "live" and "Neutral" is
technically wrong, since both are live conductors. I see no harm in
using the correct terminology if one also explains its meaning and use
where necessary.

Its just one view, one of more than one in widespread use. That doesnt
make either wrong.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 8:54*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

It's just s DPDT switch (easily available from Maplin, RS, etc.) with
a little pre-wiring done for you.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 9:18*pm, "george [dicegeorge]"
wrote:
John wrote:
I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching the
landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long landing with
six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

Cheers and TIA

I'm thinking of putting these switches left/right
instead of up/down
as up is not always off, and down is not always on,
if you see what i mean!

Or is there a convention that all up means off?

Think about it. If all up is off, then so is all down with an even
number of switches. Unless you are incerdibly anal and go round the
house setting them all up when you turn the lights out, it's just not
worth bothering about.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 10:22*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 02/07/2010 09:56, Man at B&Q wrote:

On Jun 30, 8:54 pm, Tim *wrote:

[...]

Not as readily available in matching switch plate and toggle though!

No, but the post I replied to did say "normal equipment switch" which
I took not ti include light switches.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

Ditto other terms
such as describing mains as low voltage - most people havent adopted
that either.

Yes, I wonder what bright spark thought that up.
The utter clot.

Probably the people routinely working on 11 kV (and over) supplies!

Yes, it's relative, but your average householder isn't going to work on
or come near that kind of voltage, unless they're very unfortunate, so
to designate 240V mains as 'LV' is nothing short of idiocy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2010 00:58, NT wrote:

On Jul 1, 9:52 pm, John wrote:
On 01/07/2010 20:10, NT wrote:

On Jul 1, 11:45 am, John wrote:
On 01/07/2010 08:54, NT wrote:

On Jun 30, 11:15 pm, wrote:
[...]

To the general public it may not be wrong, but all electrical certs and
forms refer to LINE, and any electrical student using LIVE instead
in an exam, would certainly loose marks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 2, 2:11*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

Ditto other terms
such as describing mains as low voltage - most people havent adopted
that either.

Yes, I wonder what bright spark thought that up.
The utter clot.

Probably the people routinely working on 11 kV (and over) supplies!

Yes, it's relative, but your average householder isn't going to work on
or come near that kind of voltage, unless they're very unfortunate, so
to designate 240V mains as 'LV' is nothing short of idiocy.

So where would you set the threshold, and why?

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Man at B&Q wrote:
Ditto other terms
such as describing mains as low voltage - most people havent adopted
that either.
Yes, I wonder what bright spark thought that up.
The utter clot.
Probably the people routinely working on 11 kV (and over) supplies!

Yes, it's relative, but your average householder isn't going to work on
or come near that kind of voltage, unless they're very unfortunate, so
to designate 240V mains as 'LV' is nothing short of idiocy.

So where would you set the threshold, and why?

MBQ

Well in _my_ world, about a volt. 12v, 5 and 3.3 are the common rails;
these days there are some 1.7 and such like floating about too. Must be
less than that.

But to use the term LV for the highest voltage that 99% of the
population will ever meet? "Low" as "Safe" and "High" as "Unsafe" would
make better sense.

Line / Live / Phase / Neutral? Line is something that comes down a
wire. It doesn't have to be power, the telephone signal is line. Live
is the one with the fuse on, and has been called that since I don't
remember when. Phase - well that's one of the three that rotate around
the Neutral - which is likely (not certain!) to be near enough earth
that I can touch one with each hand, and not notice anything.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ
wibbled on Friday 02 July 2010 20:30

Man at B&Q wrote:
[...]

I agree with this. It would be much more logical in an everyman sense to
refer to 50V as LV, 1kV as HV, then EHV for 1-33kV, maybe 1-66kV and UHV
for everything on the grid.

The Physicists could use SFHV for whatever they use to mash particles with.

Line / Live / Phase / Neutral? Line is something that comes down a
wire. It doesn't have to be power, the telephone signal is line. Live
is the one with the fuse on, and has been called that since I don't
remember when. Phase - well that's one of the three that rotate around
the Neutral - which is likely (not certain!) to be near enough earth
that I can touch one with each hand, and not notice anything.

Andy

Ditto.

Line is a silly term. Phase was well understood by engineers. It's not an EU
thing because no one else speaks English (unless you include Eire).

Using "Live" for Live on one hand, then Live and Neutral in nearly the same
breath is pillockism at its finest. If they wanted to, they could have
called L/N "Line" which would have been a more reasonable use of the term,
and left Live and Neutral where 95% of the population understood.

Bah.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember John Rumm
saying something like:

Yes, it's relative, but your average householder isn't going to work on
or come near that kind of voltage, unless they're very unfortunate, so
to designate 240V mains as 'LV' is nothing short of idiocy.

You seem to be assuming the term was designated for the benefit of the
user. It wasn't.

And so it shouldn't be put into a diy wiki, ffs.

Most folks would probably be happy with "mains voltage" without further
qualification as hi, low, or anything else.

Exactly.

What's an intermediate switch? DIYdisaster UK diy 11 December 21st 07 10:02 PM
DIP switches gary Home Ownership 1 November 9th 06 05:19 PM
what does intermediate switch mean in electrics Gogs UK diy 3 July 28th 06 02:35 PM
Cord operated intermediate switch Richard UK diy 13 January 10th 05 11:03 AM
What are best intermediate-advanced DIY resources on the net? Jeffrey J. Kosowsky Home Repair 2 November 2nd 04 06:07 PM