DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   New boiler undergassed. Blame gas meter governor? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/305406-new-boiler-undergassed-blame-gas-meter-governor.html)

ernie mendoza June 25th 10 10:16 PM

New boiler undergassed. Blame gas meter governor?

I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen. Tests show it is "undergassed". The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it. However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter. Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco? Any advice most
welcome.

John June 26th 10 12:08 AM

"ernie mendoza" wrote in message
I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen. Tests show it is "undergassed". The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it. However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter. Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco? Any advice most
welcome.

I'm about to have a similar change with a 30CDi - into the loft. Pipe sizes
cannot be readily checked so I may have the same problems and will need an
external 22mm up to the loft.

Worcester will give good advice if you know the pressure at the boiler. I
had this:

"The recommended working gas pressure at the appliance is 18.0mbar however
the boiler will function correctly when set as low as 16.5mbar. In most
cases when testing the working gas pressure with other devices in the
property this 22mm pipe diameter is necessary. Should your installer be able
to achieve at least 16.5mbar on 15mm pipe-work then the manufacturers
warranty should remain unaffected. "

fred June 26th 10 08:47 AM

New boiler undergassed. Blame gas meter governor?

In article , John
Rumm writes
On 25/06/2010 22:16, ernie mendoza wrote:

I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen. Tests show it is "undergassed". The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it. However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter. Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco? Any advice most
welcome.

Easy enough to check. Just work out if the pipework you have is adequate
for the required flow rate.

Look in your boiler manual[1] for the maximum gas flow rate required by
the boiler in cubic metres per hour. Then use the pressure drop tables
shown he

http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/plumbing...downloads/pub-
124-copper-for-domestic-gas-installations.pdf

To see if your pipework is adequate can deliver the required flow.

[1] Available here if you have not got it:

http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/ins...greenstar-24i-
system

In addition, if the installer is suggesting that the meter regulator is
faulty then invite him to measure the pressure at the meter outlet test
point with the o/p present and show that it is out of spec (20mbar
+/-1mbar) with the boiler running flat out. O/P may need to watch out
for smoke & mirrors at this point to avoid being duped by a dodgy
measurement technique.

Finger in the air suggests it should be 22mm to within 20cm of the
boiler but nothing beats the full design process above.

Good info here http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html under:
3 Working on Gas Pipework
a) What size pipes should be used for gas?
--
fred

cynic June 26th 10 10:48 AM

On 25 June, 22:16, ernie mendoza wrote:
I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen. *Tests show it is "undergassed". *The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it. *However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter. *Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco? *Any advice most
welcome.

Instead of simply blaming the governeor he should fit his manometer to
the test nipple on the meter and measure the pressure at the meter
with the appliances running. Unles you live in a bugalow with the
meter close below the boiler I would say the pipe is likely to require
uprating.
Transco will probably tell you the same thing

ransley June 26th 10 01:51 PM

On Jun 25, 4:16*pm, ernie mendoza wrote:
I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen. *Tests show it is "undergassed". *The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it. *However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter. *Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco? *Any advice most
welcome.

What did the old boiler consume, the new unit is smaller and uses less
gas, right. Was a Manometer used to test flow

js.b1 June 26th 10 02:21 PM

On Jun 25, 10:16*pm, ernie mendoza wrote:
the 22mm pipe required by the boiler is
connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter.

If the installers has fitted 15mm pipe from the gas meter, they have
fitted too small a pipe. Which begs the question, is the person Gas
Safe or sub-contracted from one who is?

[email protected] July 13th 20 01:45 PM

On Friday, 25 June 2010 22:16:34 UTC+1, ernie mendoza wrote:
I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen. Tests show it is "undergassed". The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it. However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter. Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco? Any advice most
welcome.

As a GasSafe engineer. I would not leave any appliance attached to any gas pipe if the input pressure did not meet that specified in the Manufacturers Installation Instructions. If there was a problem with the meter governor, I would ask the O/P to attend.

No Name July 13th 20 02:30 PM

On 13/07/2020 13:45, wrote:
[...]

As I understand it, a competent GasSafe engineer should be doing
calculations on the pressure drop along the gas pipework taking into
account its length, diameter and gas "load for each appliance connected.

The idea is that when everything is running at full pelt, the prssure at
*any* point in the pipework is still +/- 1 mBar of 20 mBar

Where gas pressure is insufficient, the practical solution is to
actually increase the pipe diameter accordingly to bring the pressure
drop to within 1 mBar.

In my case, I have 28 mm pipe from the gas meter, This runs to the
landing floor where it then Tees off to two off 22mm pipe.

One feeds a 38 kW COmbi boiler and the other then feeds the cooker which
comprises of two gas ovens and a 5 ring hob. (one of the burners is a
Wok burner)

So expecting a combi boiler to run off at least 10m of 15 mm copper pipe
is unrealistic. Either uprate the pipe diameter or fit a smaller boiler
and then complain how the hot water is not hot enough or has poor flow rate!

Fredxx[_3_] July 13th 20 03:09 PM

New boiler undergassed. Blame gas meter governor?

On 13/07/2020 14:48:15, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2020 05:45:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

I imagine Mr Mendoza has either had it fixed or blown himself to
smithereens in the intervening ten years...

While you are correct, it is welcome to have someone this group who is
both versed in gas and helpful. Elsewhere these two characteristics seem
mutually exclusive.

John Rumm July 13th 20 06:15 PM

wrote:

On Friday, 25 June 2010 22:16:34 UTC+1, ernie mendozaÂ* wrote:
I have just had a new Worcester-Bosch 24i system boiler installed in
the loft to replace a 30-year-old non-condensing boiler in the
kitchen.Â* Tests show it is "undergassed".Â* The installer says it may
be a problem with the gas meter governor, in which case they say
Transco would have to fix it.Â* However the 22mm pipe required by the
boiler is connected to a 15mm pipe from the gas meter.Â* Should the
installer fit a larger pipe to the gas meter instead of blaming the
governor and shifting the problem to Transco?Â* Any advice most
welcome.

As a GasSafe engineer. I would not leave any appliance attached to
any gas pipe if the input pressure did not meet that specified in the
Manufacturers Installation Instructions. If there was a problem with
the meter governor, I would ask the O/P to attend.

I imagine Mr Mendoza has either had it fixed or blown himself to
smithereens in the intervening ten years...

While you are correct, it is welcome to have someone this group who is
both versed in gas and helpful. Elsewhere these two characteristics seem
mutually exclusive.

Yup helpful is good, but I would kind of hope one quality you can count
on in a gas fitter is attention to detail :-)

And yes, for the OP, his 24kW boiler will have a gas rate of around 2.2
m^3/hour [1]. And a 15mm pipe will not be able to supply that gas rate
through 15mm pipe over an effective pipe length of much over 4m [2],
which makes it unlikely that it would be ins spec at the time of fitting.

[1]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Gas_units

[2]

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ng#Design_Data

--
Cheers,

John.

Cynic[_2_] July 13th 20 06:48 PM

New boiler undergassed. Blame gas meter governor?

This thread was resurrected from 2010. What's gone on this time?

Tim+[_5_] July 13th 20 08:18 PM

Cynic wrote:
This thread was resurrected from 2010. What's gone on this time?

I suspect other web portals are copying Home Owners Hub and are presenting
old messages as new. Cant be arsed to check though. ;-)

Tim Packwood, maybe you could enlighten us?

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) July 13th 20 09:22 PM

New boiler undergassed. Blame gas meter governor?

Well back in 2010, I imagine its probably blown up by now anyway.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...