Wasp's nest in/under window sill - how to remove

Old June 17th 10, 11:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wasp's nest in/under window sill - how to remove

Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a few
smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a structure
about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the outside window,
underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the window sill.

I could pay 40 quid-odd for someone to come and kill them but I would prefer
to use a cheaper/humane method i.e. can I scrape this fledgling wasp's nest
into a bag and take it waway, or can I do something to make them leave short
of trying to smoke them/burn them oout (don't want to damage the woodwork of
course)?

The sound inside the house is quite loud so I am afraid they might eat their
way underneath the sill and end up forming an internal nest around the
aluminium double glazing unit, inside the profile or soem such void.

Thanks for pointers/experience/stories/advice

DDS

Old June 17th 10, 11:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2010 23:20, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a few
smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a structure
about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the outside window,
underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the window sill.

After dusk liberally dust it with Ant Powder available from the Pound
Shop. Activity will stop after a few days.

--
Adrian C
Old June 17th 10, 11:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 June, 23:20, "Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote:
[...]

They will not be there for any more than a few months, they die in the
winter and they are not dangerous if you respect their flight path to/
from nest. I urge you to leave them be and scrape it away next
spring. They won't cause any damage to your house. You can fill any
gaps under your sills with mastic but it's not really necessary AFAIK
Old June 17th 10, 11:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 June, 23:47, freepo wrote:
[...]

You could encourage them to remain outside the window by placing a
piece of plywood sticking out from the windowsill, weighted down with
a big heavy weight to stop it falling off try to make it so it sticks
out flush from the underside of the windowsill.

This will be a rain shelter underneath which they can build their
nest outside of your home.
Old June 18th 10, 12:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
freepo writes
On 17 June, 23:47, freepo wrote:
[...]

Or ...

you could just liberally spray the entrance with nippon powder
--
geoff
Old June 18th 10, 09:28 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like the queen has already found a way under your sill into
the cavity where she has built her nest. The suggestions about borax-
based ant killer will work, but it's true that the nest will be abandoned
as soon as the frosts start.

I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

R.

Old June 18th 10, 10:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

R.- Hide quoted text -

they burn well when dry
Old June 18th 10, 10:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:19:08 -0700, cynic wrote:

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

snip
I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

they burn well when dry

But this is a very bad way of getting rid of the wasp's home, in that it
might get rid of yours too.

R.
Old June 18th 10, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:19:08 -0700, cynic wrote:

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

snip
I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

they burn well when dry

But this is a very bad way of getting rid of the wasp's home, in that it
might get rid of yours too.

R.

Not usually a problem until late September when they start to lose their
bearings and end up in the house, crawling about the place and waiting
for you to tread on them in bare feet.
Don't know how you would hear a wasps nest when watching WC football
Old June 18th 10, 04:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sounds like a job for "Wasp Nest Destroyer" to me.
At least that's the stuff I used after the council did half a cock up job of
removing a nest in my loft.
It's a foam sprayed from an aerosol and you should apply this to the
nest/nest opening each night when activity has stopped.
The type I got had a range of about 2m with reasonable accuracy - I was
working off a ladder so didn't want to get too close.
Yes you can leave them, but you may regret it if the nest gets as big as
ours (effectively preventing safe entry to the loft space where I was trying
to install vent fan and ducting).

Phil