Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wasp's nest in/under window sill - how to remove

Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a few
smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a structure
about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the outside window,
underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the window sill.

I could pay 40 quid-odd for someone to come and kill them but I would prefer
to use a cheaper/humane method i.e. can I scrape this fledgling wasp's nest
into a bag and take it waway, or can I do something to make them leave short
of trying to smoke them/burn them oout (don't want to damage the woodwork of
course)?

The sound inside the house is quite loud so I am afraid they might eat their
way underneath the sill and end up forming an internal nest around the
aluminium double glazing unit, inside the profile or soem such void.

Thanks for pointers/experience/stories/advice

DDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2010 23:20, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a few
smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a structure
about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the outside window,
underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the window sill.

After dusk liberally dust it with Ant Powder available from the Pound
Shop. Activity will stop after a few days.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 June, 23:20, "Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote:
[...]

They will not be there for any more than a few months, they die in the
winter and they are not dangerous if you respect their flight path to/
from nest. I urge you to leave them be and scrape it away next
spring. They won't cause any damage to your house. You can fill any
gaps under your sills with mastic but it's not really necessary AFAIK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 June, 23:47, freepo wrote:
[...]

You could encourage them to remain outside the window by placing a
piece of plywood sticking out from the windowsill, weighted down with
a big heavy weight to stop it falling off try to make it so it sticks
out flush from the underside of the windowsill.

This will be a rain shelter underneath which they can build their
nest outside of your home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
freepo writes
On 17 June, 23:47, freepo wrote:
[...]

Or ...

you could just liberally spray the entrance with nippon powder
--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:

[...]

Sounds to me like the queen has already found a way under your sill into
the cavity where she has built her nest. The suggestions about borax-
based ant killer will work, but it's true that the nest will be abandoned
as soon as the frosts start.

I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

R.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
[...]

R.- Hide quoted text -

they burn well when dry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:19:08 -0700, cynic wrote:

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

snip
I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

they burn well when dry

But this is a very bad way of getting rid of the wasp's home, in that it
might get rid of yours too.

R.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:19:08 -0700, cynic wrote:

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

snip
I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

they burn well when dry

But this is a very bad way of getting rid of the wasp's home, in that it
might get rid of yours too.

R.

Not usually a problem until late September when they start to lose their
bearings and end up in the house, crawling about the place and waiting
for you to tread on them in bare feet.
Don't know how you would hear a wasps nest when watching WC football
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Sounds like a job for "Wasp Nest Destroyer" to me.
At least that's the stuff I used after the council did half a cock up job of
removing a nest in my loft.
It's a foam sprayed from an aerosol and you should apply this to the
nest/nest opening each night when activity has stopped.
The type I got had a range of about 2m with reasonable accuracy - I was
working off a ladder so didn't want to get too close.
Yes you can leave them, but you may regret it if the nest gets as big as
ours (effectively preventing safe entry to the loft space where I was trying
to install vent fan and ducting).

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:

[...]

The nest is made of papier maché. The wasps rasp wood off trees or
perhaps your shed and chew it up, then use it for building. So it would
be a decent insulator but presumably would bridge the cavity wall and
lead to dampness.

Cyanide will kill them if you have the nerve for that.

So would a thermonuclear device

but why bother when a few squirts of nippon powder will dispatch them
quite safely

My dad used to
kill them in ground nests by putting some on a square of cloth, then
pulling the corners up and tying round a stick. Then you wet the cloth
and ram it into the nest entrance.

Each to their own

Bees use wax rather than papier maché. And any unpainted bit of shed
will likely show evidence of the wasps' rasping habits.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 June, 10:22, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 02:19:08 -0700, cynic wrote:
On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

snip
I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

they burn well when dry

But this is a very bad way of getting rid of the wasp's home, in that it
might get rid of yours too.

R.

Exactly so - it increases the fire risk to the building so kill the
little hot arsed buggers, remove the nest and put it on a bonfire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sounds like a job for "Wasp Nest Destroyer" to me.
At least that's the stuff I used after the council did half a cock up job
of removing a nest in my loft.
It's a foam sprayed from an aerosol and you should apply this to the
nest/nest opening each night when activity has stopped.
The type I got had a range of about 2m with reasonable accuracy - I was
working off a ladder so didn't want to get too close.
Yes you can leave them, but you may regret it if the nest gets as big as
ours (effectively preventing safe entry to the loft space where I was
trying to install vent fan and ducting).

Phil

These aerosol sprays are very good if they are causing problems or risks to
kids / pets, especially if the nest is inaccessible. Although they can be
annoying if you do a lot of eating/drinking al fresco they do predate a lot
of other insect pests.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/06/2010 14:29, Tim Streater wrote:

I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

The nest is made of papier maché. The wasps rasp wood off trees or
perhaps your shed and chew it up, then use it for building. So it would
be a decent insulator but presumably would bridge the cavity wall and
lead to dampness.

The insides of one I removed!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9ri4a_a-dead-wasps-nesty_animals

Cyanide will kill them if you have the nerve for that. My dad used to
kill them in ground nests by putting some on a square of cloth, then
pulling the corners up and tying round a stick. Then you wet the cloth
and ram it into the nest entrance.

Yikes :-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote in message
Thanks for pointers/experience/stories/advice

Indeed - some useful approaches there. I've opted to wait and see what
happens. If they don't nbother me and don't cause damage I'll leave them be.

Thanks all

DDS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a few
smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a structure
about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the outside window,
underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the window sill.

In Costa Rica last year I saw a wasp nest a bit bigger than a man's head,
hanging in the open under an eave near a swimming pool. Interestingly the wasps
were very small, about half the length of the usual ones we see in NZ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

someone wrote:

Cyanide will kill them if you have the nerve for that. My dad used to
kill them in ground nests by putting some on a square of cloth, then
pulling the corners up and tying round a stick. Then you wet the cloth
and ram it into the nest entrance.

I'm guessing chlorine would work too. If it does, its cheap &
available.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:

[...]

I've used Nippon powder on a wasps nest and it worked a treat. I waited
until dusk when they were less active a gave one big squirt. I never saw
any wasps there again. Cheap and effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote in message

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote in message
Thanks for pointers/experience/stories/advice

Indeed - some useful approaches there. I've opted to wait and see what
happens. If they don't nbother me and don't cause damage I'll leave them
be.

I wouldn't! They will become a problem at some stage. It's better to deal
with it early.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2010 15:54, Mr. Benn wrote:
I've used Nippon powder on a wasps nest and it worked a treat. I waited
until dusk when they were less active a gave one big squirt. I never saw
any wasps there again. Cheap and effective.

In 100 years time, or a suitable period of evolution (if there still is
us and a planet), ye'll find Wasps will be immune to Nippon powder.

Then what?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C
saying something like:

In 100 years time, or a suitable period of evolution (if there still is
us and a planet), ye'll find Wasps will be immune to Nippon powder.

Then what?

They'll never be immune to a flamethrower.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 9:49*pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian C
saying something like:

In 100 years time, or a suitable period of evolution (if there still is
us and a planet), ye'll find Wasps will be immune to Nippon powder.

Then what?

They'll never be immune to a flamethrower.

Wasps do catch and eat many small midges and mosquitoes.
As do bats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 15:55:44 +0100, "Mr. Benn"
wrote:

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote in message

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote in message
Thanks for pointers/experience/stories/advice

Indeed - some useful approaches there. I've opted to wait and see what
happens. If they don't nbother me and don't cause damage I'll leave them
be.

I wouldn't! They will become a problem at some stage. It's better to deal
with it early.

Agreed. I once had a nest in our loft.
Left it thinking it wasn't a problem.
After a while some kind of sap from the nest seeped into the
plasterboard of the ceiling and weakened it.
Had to get the nest removed and ceiling repaired.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to stuart noble, Ian wrote:
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on my
curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please help

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ve-638810-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian m wrote

I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on
my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

These are obviously layabout wasps, they are probably getting ESA and
sponging off the state.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Ian" m wrote in message
replying to stuart noble, Ian wrote:
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on my
curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please help

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ve-638810-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2017 06:16, Rod Speed wrote:
Ian m wrote
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on
my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

they all flew the next *SEVEN* years ago.

FFS, Why can't people read the date of the post before
slamming in a pointless reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 07/09/2017 06:16, Rod Speed wrote:
Ian m wrote
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on
my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please
help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

they all flew the next *SEVEN* years ago.

FFS, Why can't people read the date of the post before
slamming in a pointless reply.

I do not know why the preoccupation with wasps anyway, just leave them
alone and they will leave you alone, and will eat other annoying pests,
and then go away till next season.
Unless they have set up nest in a place near children who may want to
play with them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Sep 2017 17:33:04 +1000, FMurtz wrote:

Andrew wrote:
On 07/09/2017 06:16, Rod Speed wrote:
Ian m wrote
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on
my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please
help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

they all flew the next *SEVEN* years ago.

FFS, Why can't people read the date of the post before slamming in a
pointless reply.

I do not know why the preoccupation with wasps anyway, just leave them
alone and they will leave you alone, and will eat other annoying pests,
and then go away till next season.
Unless they have set up nest in a place near children who may want to
play with them.

I haven't seen any wasps at all for three summers.

We have a Waspinator... and no, it doesn't kill them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-08, FMurtz wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 07/09/2017 06:16, Rod Speed wrote:
Ian m wrote
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep on
my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain please
help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

they all flew the next *SEVEN* years ago.

FFS, Why can't people read the date of the post before
slamming in a pointless reply.

I do not know why the preoccupation with wasps anyway, just leave them
alone and they will leave you alone, and will eat other annoying pests,
and then go away till next season.

Not even then, since they do not return to existing nest sites.

If not others do.

If the nest is adjacent to an outdoor seating area, they are a PITA,
especially at this time of year as they begin to starve, but otherwise
I leave them alone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-08, FMurtz wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 07/09/2017 06:16, Rod Speed wrote:
Ian m wrote
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they sleep
on my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the curtain
please help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

they all flew the next *SEVEN* years ago.

FFS, Why can't people read the date of the post before slamming in a
pointless reply.

I do not know why the preoccupation with wasps anyway, just leave
them alone and they will leave you alone, and will eat other annoying
pests,
and then go away till next season.

Not even then, since they do not return to existing nest sites.

If not others do.

Nope.

That's why the Waspinator (dummy nest) seems to work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2017-09-08, FMurtz wrote:
Andrew wrote:
On 07/09/2017 06:16, Rod Speed wrote:
Ian m wrote
I have 2 wasp that have been going in my windowsill and they
sleep on my curtain and I'm afraid to try and kill them on the
curtain please help

I just kill them with flyspray, works fine.

they all flew the next *SEVEN* years ago.

FFS, Why can't people read the date of the post before slamming in
a pointless reply.

I do not know why the preoccupation with wasps anyway, just leave
them alone and they will leave you alone, and will eat other
annoying pests,
and then go away till next season.

Not even then, since they do not return to existing nest sites.

If not others do.

Nope.

That's why the Waspinator (dummy nest) seems to work.

Wasp queens always initiate new nests. From scratch (literally).

Except when they see an existing one. Hence the Waspinator.