Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is it essential to change the water filter?

We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow. He argues that, if the filter were failing
to work properly, the flow would diminish or cease. For my part I
think the water has stopped tasting very nice.

It's a Bayhall Filtamate if that helps.

Thanks

Edward
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 13:09, Edward wrote:
We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow. He argues that, if the filter were failing
to work properly, the flow would diminish or cease. For my part I
think the water has stopped tasting very nice.

It's a Bayhall Filtamate if that helps.

Thanks

Edward

depends what sort of filter it is (i.e. what it's supposed to be
filtering)

if just a sediment filter - it wouldn't bother me if it weren't
changed too often - as it will filter out more the more bunged up it
gets..

if "activated charcoal" filter or similar (for taste purposes removing
chlorine for e.g) then it may start tasting less good the longer the
filter is in place (as the filter is "used up")

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Edward writes:
We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow. He argues that, if the filter were failing
to work properly, the flow would diminish or cease. For my part I
think the water has stopped tasting very nice.

You need to switch it off or cap it off if it's not being maintained
anymore, so it can't be used. The bactericide (normally silver for
drinking water) has a limited life. The filter slowly builds up
materials to support bacteria growth during use, and relies on the
bactericide to keep it safe.

The person responsible for changing the cartridge has been given a
H&S related responsibility for which he isn't competent, which is
a management failure.

It's a Bayhall Filtamate if that helps.

It doesn't, as I can't quickly find what the filter claims to do,
although it probably wouldn't make any difference if I could.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 04/05/2010 14:03, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In ,
writes:
[...]

Agreed.

I have also seen the suggestion that once 'full', the filter can release
some of what it has filtered out periodically. No idea of the truth of
this...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message
We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow. He argues that, if the filter were failing
to work properly, the flow would diminish or cease. For my part I
think the water has stopped tasting very nice.

It's a Bayhall Filtamate if that helps.

Thanks

Edward

They are only £6.75 from the first place I looked FFS!
http://www.qvsdirect.com/Bayhall-Fil...-pr-20251.html

That is about the price of just one 19L bottle of water for a cooler!

As Andrew said, I would not use it, plus send a formal email to his manager,
explaining the situation, and the small cost of the new filters.

I think the whole unit needs to be cleaned out every so often too, if it is
also a cooler that has a storage tank inside.

We have water coolers in our ofices with a bottle on the top, and they are
fully sanitised every three months, but these are coolers that store water,
if yours is just a filter tap, not a cooler, then I don't think you need to
do this.

There are water test kits you can get for fish tanks that test the nitrate
level - might be worth testing the water from the old filter with that, and
then do the same with water that has not been "filtered" (but make sure you
test a mains water supply (at the same site), not water from a tank!)

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow.

The woman who was supposed to get air conditioning maintained but
didn't bother because it still worked got prosecuted for causing
seven deaths by legionaires disease a while ago...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/5061752.stm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message
We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow. He argues that, if the filter were failing
to work properly, the flow would diminish or cease. For my part I
think the water has stopped tasting very nice.

It's a Bayhall Filtamate if that helps.

Thanks

Edward

In addition to this, what's the score with those screw-on types that sit
under the kitchen sinks, which look a bit like a car's oil filter? I stopped
changing ours ages ago. I could never really be sure that it was actually
doing anything - when I first replaced it, it didn't seem very 'wet'
anyway - and I figured that as it protects everything apart from the kitchen
sink (and washing machine for that), that if it was contaminating anything,
it would only be the bathroom, boiler and toilet.

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Colin Wilson
saying something like:

We have a plumbed-in water filter at work, but the person responsible
for changing the cartridge says he's stopped bothering because the
water continues to flow.

The woman who was supposed to get air conditioning maintained but
didn't bother because it still worked got prosecuted for causing
seven deaths by legionaires disease a while ago...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/5061752.stm

Found not guilty of manslaughter, though.
http://www.clickpress.com/releases/D...220005cp.shtml
Quite rightly, imo.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 14:51, "Toby" wrote:

There are water test kits you can get for fish tanks that test the nitrate
level - might be worth testing the water from the old filter with that,

Only if you have goldfish crapping in the pipes.

(Or you're in East Anglia)

I've worked in many offices with plumbed filters. Don't think I've
ever seen one changed
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 5 May 2010 11:59:50 UTC+1, John Whitworth wrote:
"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like your changing the sink's trap,which is there to stop smell of drain water rising out of the plug. You don't change these "car oil filters" you neep. they're a permanent feature of all sinks and you're throwing these out for no reason other than the;re dirty looking?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Ho ho. "Neep". The irony...

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

He is talking about a water filter that is common under sinks not a trap
you NEEP, whatever that is, these filters have a use life and after that
they can breed bugs and should be changed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=unde...hTIkrN Sc1ZM:

https://tinyurl.com/y9kn5enh

Ho ho. "Neep". The irony...

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Where did this 2010 post suddenly spring from?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Edward" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/17 08:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
Where did this 2010 post suddenly spring from?
Brian

Gargle ...

--
Adrian C