Bell rings when garden gate opens?

Old June 17th 10, 07:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bell rings when garden gate opens?

My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Old June 17th 10, 08:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Attach a bell to it.

You know - one of those bell shaped things - with the clanger bit
swinging about inside.
Old June 17th 10, 08:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 7:11 pm, " wrote:
This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Attach a bell to it.

You know - one of those bell shaped things - with the clanger bit
swinging about inside.

er...and remain within earshot at all times? sat on the bike maybe?

Jim K
Old June 17th 10, 08:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 6:29 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

ISTR adam was rigging up something similar very recently - google on
uk.d-i-y for "reed switch changeover" and see if it comes up if not
ask Adam (ARWadsworth) for an update?

Cheers
Jim K
Old June 17th 10, 08:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:

My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

yes micro-switch and a bell and a battery

--
---
zaax

Old June 17th 10, 08:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message
On Jun 17, 6:29 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

ISTR adam was rigging up something similar very recently - google on
uk.d-i-y for "reed switch changeover" and see if it comes up if not
ask Adam (ARWadsworth) for an update?

Cheers
Jim K

Yep.

I cannot finish the job as the lucky ******* has gone to South Africa to
watch England.

Adam

Old June 17th 10, 09:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 7:52 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

[...]

be back soon.......;)

Jim K
Old June 17th 10, 09:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 17, 6:29*pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
My small city garden has a standard Victorian railing
on the street, with the gate as part of the railing.
A few days ago someone came in the garden and stole
a (locked) bike.

This made me wonder if there is any simple way
to make a bell ring when the gate is opened?

Also, is there a standard spring which will
keep the gate closed?

If you can arrange a switch to close as the gate opens, connect it
from battery/wallwart to bell via a big capacitor (eg 4700uF) so the
bell only gets a pulse of power when the gate opens.

NT

Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 06:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 05:33 AM
WTB: O-rings for garden hose fittings? [email protected] UK diy 5 October 6th 05 12:02 AM
Automatic gate opens spontaneously Tim UK diy 1 August 16th 05 09:34 AM
Garden Gate David Lang UK diy 1 July 13th 05 11:44 PM