SWA cables into "consumer" unit

Old June 7th 10, 09:15 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SWA cables into "consumer" unit

We have a new Sentry metalcald CU in a small remote building that just
supplies some CCTV and lighting equipment, on Two MCB's one at 6 amps
the other at 16 supplied by SWA cables. This is replacing an almighty
mess thats been there years and is downright dangerous.

The unit in question which is metal has some holes in the bottom which
are the same size as SWA glands. I presume its OK to use these to
terminate the SWA in directly as it were, taking the Earth banjo
directly to the Earth buss bar in the unit and the live and neutral
directly to the respective points.

Or as someone suggested earlier you have to take them via something like
a metal clad type connector box, with a small connector piece of conduit
as they mustn't be directly connected to the unit?. I think he's got
that confused with a plastic unit which I suppose you could do this with
but as the CU is metal then I can't see any real problem.

Anyone care to comment?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old June 7th 10, 09:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/10 21:15, tony sayer wrote:

[...]

No problem with SWA into a metal CU provided there's room to get the
stuff in without straining things.

You can take them into plastic if you use a pirhana nut to bolt the
earth onto - the problem with plastic is it is soft and compressible, so
using a banjo with it is a bad idea.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Old June 7th 10, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

If you are exporting the earth from the supplying building, then this is
fine, assuming it all fits nicely.

Are you using the armor as the earth?

How far is the building from the source of power?

Toby...

Old June 8th 10, 10:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Toby
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Yes as well as one conductor..

How far is the building from the source of power?

Pole mounted transformer within 40 feet!..

Toby...

--
Tony Sayer

Old June 8th 10, 12:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Toby
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message

[...]

Soinds fine then!

I usually fit the earth lug so it is flat against the metal the gland is
screwed into, then drill a hole through the metal, and put a bolt through
the whole lot, so you just see a bolt head under the CU, then you would
attach your extra earthing condictor to this bolt with a crimped ring.

Toby...

Old June 8th 10, 01:11 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/10 12:35, Toby wrote:

I usually fit the earth lug so it is flat against the metal the gland is
screwed into, then drill a hole through the metal, and put a bolt through
the whole lot, so you just see a bolt head under the CU, then you would
attach your extra earthing condictor to this bolt with a crimped ring.

That's the way I've seen it done on large 3 phase breaker panels too.

Old June 8th 10, 03:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Toby
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Toby

[...]