Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas Question (not DIY)

I am about to have a new Combi fitted (Worcester Bosch 30cdi). The installer
and I cannot see the existing gas pipe to the current Worcester Highflow
Heatslave so are not sure if it is 22mm or smaller. (obviously we will see
it when the boiler is removed)

A neighbour in the same type of house found when his Heatslave was replaced
that the pipe was only 15mm and had to have a new (ugly external) 22 pipe
run installed. This neighbour never had much success with his Heatslave -
but mine has always performed well and has been inspected every year by B
Gas.

I told the installer I was concerned that the pipe could be 15mm so he
offered to perform some sort of drop check. He took a reading at the meter
with a manometer with the gas cooker and boiler running - he then repeated
the test at the boiler and phoned Worcester Bosch. They confirmed that the
pressure was acceptable. I think the drop was 2 milli-bar. (from 21 down to
19)

I realise there is some risk and uncertainly and that I may have to run a
new 22mm pipe - but what do you think. Does the 'evidence' point to the
hidden pipe being 22mm - or is this irrelevant because the pressure is okay?

Do you think the installers approach is reasonable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message 6w8Rn.42970$4w7.20324@hurricane, John
writes
[...]

What do you want, a magic answer?

If the installer has taken readings which WB consider to be acceptable,
then either go with professional advice or don't

Nobody else can make your decision for you

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

If the pressure at the boiler, with all gas appliances running, is
adequate according to the manufacturer, then I don't see that it matters
what size the feed pipe is. I would be more interested in whether it is
in good condition.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2010 18:25, John wrote:
[...]

Is the capacity of the new boiler the same as that of the existing boiler?

If not, the test is invalid because if the new boiler consumes gas at a
faster rate, the pressure drop will be higher - and the pressure at the
boiler may or may not be within acceptable limits.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 13/06/2010 18:25, John wrote:
[...]

I was assuming that the fitter had told WB that a 30CDi was going to be
fitted

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 13/06/2010 18:25, John wrote:
[...]

Thanks for posing that question -

The old boiler gives 2.3 cuM/h at 10 mins after lighting (7 milli bar
pressure setting at burner)

The proposed one requires 3.4 cuM/h 10 mins after lighting.

I suppose - I need to expect the worse and expect to have to run another
pipe.

Any further info will be appreciated - I like to understand what the issues
are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Roger Mills
writes
On 13/06/2010 18:25, John wrote:
[...]

I presume so. I wasn't listening. However the fitter recently went on one of
their courses and knew who to speak to.

I take your point about the flow rate. I work in an industry that uses
compressed air and understand something of the relationship between mass
flow and pressure. (Which is why we have a 17inch air pipe!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in

[...]

No.

The working pressure will not give an indication of pipe size.
(It should not have been necessary to phone manufactures to
confirm wp accceptable as even an appentice would know this in
first couple of weeks)
WP simply indicates that the pipe size may be suitable for your
boiler now.

15mm pipe could quite well give the correct gas flow rate for
your boiler depending on length of pipe plus fittings from the
tee for cooker and diamiter of pipe and length from meter.

Best to wait untill you can determine existing pipe size.
Then calculate if pipework correctly sized or not.

Depending on length of pipe run fittings etc even 22mm all the
way back to the meter could be undersized for your new boiler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I am about to have a new Combi fitted (Worcester Bosch 30cdi).

Never having CH before in 60 years, I did the same thing plus 10 rads. Now I
know why I steered clear, far too expensive to run, but I have it cracked,
only use 2 rads and have the stat mobile. Another thing I wouldn't have done
is have a 42" plasma, too expensive to run. £100 a month for gas & leccy?
Stuff that, I'm happy to stay a tightarse.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , brass monkey
writes

"John" wrote in message
I am about to have a new Combi fitted (Worcester Bosch 30cdi).

Never having CH before in 60 years, I did the same thing plus 10 rads. Now I
know why I steered clear, far too expensive to run, but I have it cracked,
only use 2 rads and have the stat mobile. Another thing I wouldn't have done
is have a 42" plasma, too expensive to run. £100 a month for gas & leccy?
Stuff that, I'm happy to stay a tightarse.

Why do you need rads when you have a 42" plasma heater ?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , brass monkey
writes

"John" wrote in message
I am about to have a new Combi fitted (Worcester Bosch 30cdi).

Never having CH before in 60 years, I did the same thing plus 10 rads. Now
know why I steered clear, far too expensive to run, but I have it cracked,
only use 2 rads and have the stat mobile. Another thing I wouldn't have
done
is have a 42" plasma, too expensive to run. £100 a month for gas & leccy?
Stuff that, I'm happy to stay a tightarse.

Why do you need rads when you have a 42" plasma heater ?

Dead right, a third of a kilowatt to watch garbage, and being retired it's
always on, almost.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
[...]

Is the cooker on its won pipe back to the meter? His test is not valid.
In one situation like this, I turned on the cooker and took a reading at the
meter dial of what the consumption is in m/h or cu ft/hr. I then from the
boiler gas supply fitted a flexible hose and flame trap at the end. This
went into the garden. Then turned on the cooker and opened the boiler tap
gradually until the combined boiler and cooker reading is enough, and took a
reading. It worked. You have to observe the gas cooker.

In another it was obvious that the boiler pipe was just undersized. I
figured putting in a 28mm gas meter union and a few foot of 28mm pipe at the
meter using a bend (45 degree elbows would have done) would do it - a bit of
a gamble. I did not know how much 22mm or 15mm was under the floor. But by
turning off the cooker and opening up teh bopioer tap, taking a reading,
then look at the charts it is possible to assess how much 22mm is in the
run. It did it anyhow.

Each elbow "increases" the length of a run - each elbow adds "length" to the
pipe run. The 28mm pipe significantly reduced the run length being a larger
bore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
[...]

I forgot to add. The pressure at the cooker must not be more than 1 mb and
the same at the boiler. So reading have to be made there as well.

In another it was obvious that the boiler pipe was just undersized. I
figured putting in a 28mm gas meter union and a few foot of 28mm pipe at
the meter using a bend (45 degree elbows would have done) would do it - a
bit of a gamble. I did not know how much 22mm or 15mm was under the floor.
But by turning off the cooker and opening up teh bopioer tap, taking a
reading, then look at the charts it is possible to assess how much 22mm is
in the run. It did it anyhow.

Each elbow "increases" the length of a run - each elbow adds "length" to
the pipe run. The 28mm pipe significantly reduced the run length being a
larger bore.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks the cooker (hob only) must be tee'd off somewhere. The pipe leaving
the meter is 22mm. Cannot see any elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:25:16 +0100, John wrote:

[...]

Possibly not, depending whether the inlet pressure was measured at the
pipework entering the boiler or within the boiler itself (where it would
be lower due to the boiler's inlet connector and pipework). 2mbar is
twice the allowable pressure drop. For an existing installation the excess
pressure drop is allowable as long as the boiler is working OK, but an
installer is not allowed to commission a new installation with excessive
pressure drop. (I'm not saying it never happens though.)

There's also the factor of the relative gas consumptions of the old and
new appliances: if the new requires a greater gas supply then the pressure
drop will be greater.

If the existing appliance's excess pressure drop is caused by something
like a few feet of 15mm pipe at the end of an otherwise 22mm or greater
pipe run from the meter then it may be simple enough to get a correct
supply by continuing the old pipe in 22 all the way to the new appliance.
If the existing appliance has anything like the same consumption as the
replacement then this is likely to be the case. On the other hand if it's
a much lower-rated appliance then replacement of the whole run is likely
to be necessary.

As a general comment when I'm looking at replacing boilers for people then
the size of gas pipework required is one of the first things I look at
when assessing whether I can put in a combi since it can make or break the
installation.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

Never believe anyone who claims to be a liar

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"YAPH" wrote in message
[...]

If the existing pipework is under a solid floor the matter is different. If
it is marginal installing as much 28mm at the meter can solve matters. But
it has to be calculated.

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on with
another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting. It
worked. Only a boiler was used.

Rail burner boilers are not susceptible to large pressure drops.

Another work-around, depending on pipe runs, etc, is to tee of the cooker
pipe and run it to the boiler and tee it into the pipe just before the
boiler. This in effect makes the pipe run to the boiler larger, hitting the
boiler from two points.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:58:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on
with another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting.
It worked. Only a boiler was used.

That's going to be an interesting surprise for the next bloke who adds a
cooker or gas fire to that system!

Hope you reported that to the gas company - seeing as they own the
original regulator...

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:58:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on
with another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting.
It worked. Only a boiler was used.

That's going to be an interesting surprise for the next bloke who adds a
cooker or gas fire to that system!

Hope you reported that to the gas company - seeing as they own the
original regulator...

--
Tim Watts

My contingency is to stump up £400 for new 22 mm gas feed to the boiler in
the loft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:58:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on
with another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting.
It worked. Only a boiler was used.

That's going to be an interesting surprise for the next bloke who adds a
cooker or gas fire to that system!

Hope you reported that to the gas company - seeing as they own the
original regulator...

Doesn't that over pressure the meter and run a risk of leaks and death?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

My contingency is to stump up £400 for new 22 mm gas feed to the boiler
in the loft.

I didn't think gold was suitable for gas pipes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:58:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on
with another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting.
It worked. Only a boiler was used.

That's going to be an interesting surprise for the next bloke who adds a
cooker or gas fire to that system!

Hope you reported that to the gas company - seeing as they own the
original regulator...

My contingency is to stump up £400 for new 22 mm gas feed to the boiler
in the loft.

You may need some 28mm at the meter to make the run. It needs calculating.
Look at the link gave you. It helps you work it out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:58:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on
with another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting.
It worked. Only a boiler was used.

That's going to be an interesting surprise for the next bloke who adds a
cooker or gas fire to that system!

Hope you reported that to the gas company - seeing as they own the
original regulator...

Nope. It worked and saved digging a floor up. The higher pressure gave more
gas volume through the pipe. Technically there was nothing wrong with it.
Initially the regulator was taken off, but it was thought the meter reader
would report it, so it was put back and opened right up.

22mm gas governors are readily available.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 11:44:00 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:58:47 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wibbled:

I have seen an illegal work-around. The meter regulator turned full on
with another one at the appliance dropping it to the required setting.
It worked. Only a boiler was used.

That's going to be an interesting surprise for the next bloke who adds
a cooker or gas fire to that system!

Hope you reported that to the gas company - seeing as they own the
original regulator...

Nope. It worked and saved digging a floor up. The higher pressure gave
more gas volume through the pipe. Technically there was nothing wrong
with it. Initially the regulator was taken off, but it was thought the
meter reader would report it, so it was put back and opened right up.

22mm gas governors are readily available.

Nothing wrong with it????

********. The regulator if the gas company's property and interfering
with it is at the very least against the contract the householder would
have with them.

You said in one breath "illegal" and in another "Technically there was
nothing wrong with it."

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

I said "technically" there is nothing wrong with it. Pre North Sea Gas,
there were no meter regulators. Each appliance had a gas governor. Whether
the company likes it is another matter.

You said in one breath "illegal" and in another "Technically there was
nothing wrong with it."

It is not illegal in law, just not to the company's liking.

Is it dangerous? No.
Does it work? Yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Doesn't that over pressure the meter and run a risk of leaks and death?

No.

Well the regulator fits between the supply and the meter so it increases the
pressure in the meter.
Without knowing how high the regulator has been wound up and without knowing
the limits of the meter you can't know the correct answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

Doesn't that over pressure the meter and run a risk of leaks and death?

No.

Well the regulator fits between the supply and the meter so it increases
the pressure in the meter.
Without knowing how high the regulator has been wound up and without
knowing the limits of the meter you can't know the correct answer.

I do know the limits of the meters (max working pressure 50 mb).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

But would you let Drivel do your gas pipework? Check you insurance policy
before answering.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

But would you let Drivel do your gas pipework? Check you insurance policy
before answering.

I would charge you £500 for a new run. You deserve to pay lots and lots.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

But would you let Drivel do your gas pipework? Check you insurance policy
before answering.

I would charge you £500 for a new run. You deserve to pay lots and lots.

Doctor Drivel -it is not me (OP) who is questioning your wisdom. I hope to
be able to negotiate the price down after doing some measurements - it
wasn't a very well considered estimate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

House supply used to be 75mBar, regulator is mandatory. BG did
routinely tweak the regulator, however I would rather they fix the
leaks and fit appliance taps first (rather than deliberately leaving
them of).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

But would you let Drivel do your gas pipework? Check you insurance policy
before answering.

I would charge you £500 for a new run. You deserve to pay lots and lots.

Have you done any work in Doncaster recently?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...e/10306735.stm

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message

But would you let Drivel do your gas pipework? Check you insurance
policy before answering.

I would charge you £500 for a new run. You deserve to pay lots and lots.

Have you done any work in Doncaster recently?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...e/10306735.stm

I have been to Doncaster, If I was there I would make sure this sort of
thing happened each day.