Tile spacers

Old June 5th 10, 11:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tile spacers

Quick questions about tiling.

What size spacers are the norm for tiling in a bathroom on the wall
specifically.

Also do you have to pull the spacers out after the tiles have set or do they
stay in the wall ?

Thanks

Old June 5th 10, 11:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/10 11:20, Stephen wrote:
Quick questions about tiling.

What size spacers are the norm for tiling in a bathroom on the wall
specifically.

For small (10-15cm) tiles, 2mm or so looks good. If the tile has a
bevelled edge, use a thinner spacer than you think you want as the grout
line will appear a mm or so wider.

Also do you have to pull the spacers out after the tiles have set or do they
stay in the wall ?

You can do either. Either use the spacers flat at the corners and make
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.

Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high
grap adhesive (eg BAL Greenstar I find is good, others swear by
Bluestar) then the spacers are almost redundant except as a guide. the
tiles will stay where you put them.

I also love having a self levelling laser line on a pole - set for the
row and work to that.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Old June 5th 10, 12:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Jun 2010 11:49:48 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

You can do either. Either use the spacers flat at the corners and make
sure they are pushed well in.

Trouble is the adhesive behind the tile and the shape of the rear
tile edge can make getting even grout lines tricky with this method.

Or (what I do more) is to stick just one leg in between each tile. I
pull then out afterwards.

This is what I do. Consistent width and can be used as a lever (by
twisting) to make micro adjustments to the spacing if required.

I also love having a self levelling laser line on a pole - set for the
row and work to that.

I start with a very carefully placed batten and work from that. Using
spacers in single leg mode to position the tiles, but paying
attention to alignment of corners etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old June 5th 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 11:20*am, "Stephen" wrote:
Quick questions about tiling.

What size spacers are the norm for tiling in a bathroom on the wall
specifically.

Also do you have to pull the spacers out after the tiles have set or do they
stay in the wall ?

Thanks

Spacers might work if your tiles are all perfect sized, but many
arent. In which case folded card allows a little wiggle.

NT
Old June 5th 10, 02:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 05/06/2010 11:49, Tim Watts wrote:
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.

Yup its what I do as well.

Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high

I find with some spacers, the leg is marginally thinner than it is wide.
So rotating it 90 degrees in the gap make it a little smaller. Two used
together are a tad more than one width etc. Hence careful selection of
combinations can tweak the gap in or out as required.

1mm thick plastic plant labels make good tweakers
Old June 5th 10, 03:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 June, 13:36, NT wrote:
On Jun 5, 11:20´┐Żam, "Stephen" wrote:

Quick questions about tiling.

What size spacers are the norm for tiling in a bathroom on the wall
specifically.

Also do you have to pull the spacers out after the tiles have set or do they
stay in the wall ?

Thanks

Spacers might work if your tiles are all perfect sized, but many
arent. In which case folded card allows a little wiggle.

NT

Another thing to watch is that you can get boxes of slightly different
sized tiles from some manufacturers. There's a number on the box
indicates which is which.
Old June 7th 10, 10:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 2:03*pm, stuart noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/06/2010 11:49, Tim Watts wrote:
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.

Yup its what I do as well.

Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high

I find with some spacers, the leg is marginally thinner than it is wide..
So rotating it 90 *degrees in the gap make it a little smaller. Two used
together are a tad more than one width etc. Hence careful selection of
combinations can tweak the gap in or out as required.

1mm thick plastic plant labels make good tweakers

And bits of cereal box.
Old June 7th 10, 10:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/10 10:01, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Jun 5, 2:03 pm, stuart wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/06/2010 11:49, Tim Watts wrote:
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.

Yup its what I do as well.

Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high

I find with some spacers, the leg is marginally thinner than it is wide.
So rotating it 90 degrees in the gap make it a little smaller. Two used
together are a tad more than one width etc. Hence careful selection of
combinations can tweak the gap in or out as required.

1mm thick plastic plant labels make good tweakers

And bits of cereal box.

Fag packet shurely?

Old June 7th 10, 11:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 05/06/2010 11:49, Tim Watts wrote:
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.
Yup its what I do as well.
Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high
I find with some spacers, the leg is marginally thinner than it is wide.
So rotating it 90 degrees in the gap make it a little smaller. Two used
together are a tad more than one width etc. Hence careful selection of
combinations can tweak the gap in or out as required.

1mm thick plastic plant labels make good tweakers

And bits of cereal box.

matchsticks.

I too use the plastic spacers, placed at different angles and at
different locations to level up irregular stone tiles etc. Simply remove
oncce tile cement is almost set.

Old June 7th 10, 03:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 2:03 pm, stuart wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 05/06/2010 11:49, Tim Watts wrote:
sure they are pushed well in. Or (what I do more) is to stick just one
leg in between each tile. I pull then out afterwards.

Yup its what I do as well.

Sometimes, you don't want spacers - if you are trying to correct a
slight error, you may need the tiles fractionally closer. Using a high

I find with some spacers, the leg is marginally thinner than it is
wide.
So rotating it 90 degrees in the gap make it a little smaller. Two
used
together are a tad more than one width etc. Hence careful selection of
combinations can tweak the gap in or out as required.

1mm thick plastic plant labels make good tweakers

And bits of cereal box.

Fag packet shurely?

Cardboard isn't really rigid enough for my liking. Plastic every time