Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

Default It wont stay shut by itself

When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and lay my
tools out on the floor behind the front door. Since you never know when it
will rain, it works out very handy since then all I have to do is close the
door; and don't have to be picking up all the tools.

Now if its not warm the family doesn't like the cold air coming into the
house and they want the front door shut, which is fair enough. Since the
door just swings open I have to keep getting the keys out of my pocket to
open the door.

I would like the door to stay shut on its own accord, yet just open with a
push without having to use the keys. There is no room on the door jamb to
screw one of those helical spring self closers. And anyway in general use we
dont want the door to close by itself. Which also rules out one of those
hydraulic self closers which could fit on at the top of the door.

Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north London
u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not hold. Also
tried cutting a thin wedge of cork glued to an upright jamb which makes the
door a tight fit when closed. However the door shrinks in the summer and
expands in the winter so that only works for about half the year.

Grateful for any suggestions, especially something similar to the cork
arrangement which works just fine prividing the weather suits it. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Bob F" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
[...]

Just about any door latch in the world will fix that.

Why not use a tool box next to the car, they close up quick too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north London
u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

EXT wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and
lay my tools out on the floor behind the front door. ...

Just about any door latch in the world will fix that.

Why not use a tool box next to the car, they close up quick too.

How about a car that doesn't need fixing so much?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

themotor
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

john hamilton wrote the following:
[...]

Here in the US, we have pretty accurate weather forecasting, so we know
when not to plan to work outside.
Now, setting that GB weather joke aside, a question. Why do you need
keys to open the front door at any time? Can you leave the door unlocked?
Thirdly, a suggestion. Leave the tools in the vehicle when you are
working with them, either on the floor of the car, or in the trunk
(boot). Then, if it rains, just shut the car door or boot and go inside
til the rain stops..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That
defies all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

ordinary IDE, the magnet is so strong that it is hard to get off a flat
metal surface without tools!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

All hard drives, the head arm solenoid uses them. My shed's full of magnets
from HDDs. For example I use them to store sash clamps out of the way on the
ceiling. I've used one from a larger mainframe disk drive to fish 37lb sash
weights from a skip, you've just got to make sure it doesn't touch the side
of the skip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

On Jun 6, 11:13*am, dpb wrote:
EXT wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and
lay my tools out on the floor behind the front door. *...

Just about any door latch in the world will fix that.

Why not use a tool box next to the car, they close up quick too.

How about a car that doesn't need fixing so much?

--

Audi? Hobbyist tuner? Preventative maintenance?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

dpb wrote:
EXT wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and
lay my tools out on the floor behind the front door. ...

Just about any door latch in the world will fix that.

Why not use a tool box next to the car, they close up quick too.

How about a car that doesn't need fixing so much?

--

Hi,
That car has Lucas parts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 16:27:12 +0100, Mrcheerful wrote:

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That
defies all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

ordinary IDE, the magnet is so strong that it is hard to get off a flat
metal surface without tools!!!

Well I guess you learn something new every day. I would think a magnet
anywhere near the metal recording medium where the data lives would wipe
it out.

Since Faraday all motors use magnets!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

Do you even know how a hard drive works ?

Have you ever opened an IDE drive and looked inside it ?

Most if not all of the IDE hard drives have a magnet in it that is about 1/2
inch wide and an inch or so long and maybe 1/8 of an inch thick. It is very
strong. Without that magent the read/write head would not move.

Look here especially near the end to see the magnet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEfA3...eature=related

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Buy some large 100mm PP castors, plank of wood, screw a Really Useful
Box of 9L (short narrow oblong) 18W (large fat oblong) 19L (tall
narrow oblong), attach a vertical pole for manoeuvring, done. You may
want braked castors if on a slope.

You can buy something similar, with drawers, but the weight can become
a pain unless you have a sloped door threshold.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Peter Parry wrote:
On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:12:37 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk
wrote:

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside?

Most modern ones that use voice coil positioning for the heads.

That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

Cunning design (the N and S poles share the same face) and a bit of
shielding keep the magnetic field contained and the platters safe.

Any idea what that shield is made of? it looks like aluminium, but isn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 15:44:16 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

Since the door just swings open I have to keep getting the keys out of
my pocket to open the door.

I would like the door to stay shut on its own accord, yet just open with
a push without having to use the keys.

Rehang it so that it's natural rest state is closed not open. I
*think* with a normal opening inwards door that means the top hinge
slightly further into the jamb than the bottom hinge.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside?

Most modern ones that use voice coil positioning for the heads.

That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

Cunning design (the N and S poles share the same face) and a bit of
shielding keep the magnetic field contained and the platters safe.

Any idea what that shield is made of? it looks like aluminium, but
isn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_metal

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My solution to such problems would usually be of the bungee through the
letterbox variety. Always keep a selection in the boot and garage/garden
shed etc. V useful things.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside?

Most modern ones that use voice coil positioning for the heads.

That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

Cunning design (the N and S poles share the same face) and a bit of
shielding keep the magnetic field contained and the platters safe.

Any idea what that shield is made of? it looks like aluminium, but isn't.

Would it be mu-metal - an alloy of nickel IIRC?
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking
OG OG is offline

[...]

Screw a hook in the frame above the door about 1/3 way out from the hinge.
Get a beanbag (or equivalent) that weighs about a pound and tie it to a
piece of string about 1.5 metres long and put a loop in the other end.

When you're working outside, loop the string over the hook. The weight of
the beanbag should keep the door closed, and it can be removed when you're
not working on the car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010, Jeff The Drunk wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

No it doesn't.

There is a pair of very strong magnets in every hard drive I've taken
apart. I'm not sure exactly what they are doing, but the actual arm
with the read/write head is between the magnets. Since there is a pair
of them, they incidentally contain the magnetism. They are right next
to the platter(s).

These are strong, you don't want to get your finger between them.
I suppose a big speaker magnet might be stronger, but they are also
a lot bigger.

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

Agree: We have kept two such very powerful magnets from old hard
drives.
So strong that the two attracted each and clung through a 3 inch
sapling!
Wood not otherwise being magnetic AFIK! {:-)

My neighbour recently borrowed one to get a piece of metal
(successfully) out of his eye!
We keep one magnet on the fridge. It's hard to dislodge!

Got another couple of hard drives downstairs to be scrapped for small
parts, especially the magnets.

Development of stronger magnets has certainly progressed during the
last 50 to 60 years! The magnets used for WWII magnetrons were huge.
Nowadays each microwave oven normally contains two such annular
(doughnut shape) magnets, which together will fit into a mail
envelope!

Suggestion about windy door, use a piece of
string ........................... !
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

This very complex situation requires thinking outside the already
normally complex "how do I close a door" thought processes.
Since you choose to keep your tools where you must take a walk to get
the one you need - btw, are they on the floor where the family can
trip over them as they come and go? - it should be no problem to use
chain or rope to secure the door. That's only logical.
Tie one end a rope or chain around the car and the attach the other
end to the door.
Properly done this will prevent the wind from blowing open the door.
When you take a stroll to get a tool, untie the rope/chain from the
car so there is enough slack to open the door and reach the tools.
An added benefit to chain/rope is if the rain becomes heavy enough to
obscure vision, you can hand-over-hand on the chain/rope to find your
way to the house.
Make sure to warn the family to use another door or the windows to
come in and out of the house while you are working on the car, or set
up a system to notify you when you should untie the door from the car.
Perhaps a klaxon system next to the tools on the floor can be
activated when you are doing repairs.
That way no one is inconvenienced.
Another important note: A foolproof system of reminders is needed so
that the chain/rope is removed and stored before you drive away in the
car.
Or you might try something like this
http://www.stedall.co.uk/acatalog/Door_Retainers.html

--Vic

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

Contra-intuitive, but true nonetheless.

A hard-drive has a pair of the most vicious magnets you are likely to
encounter outside of a hospital's MRI dept.

They form a simple head position actuator.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

willshak wrote:
[...]

I was gonna suggest one of those plastic storage boxes that gardeners
use, or even a child's plastic sandbox with a lid that could be closed
if a sudden shower comes up. OP's wife must be super-tolerant to not
freak at greasy tools all over her front-hall rug. And unless these are
row-houses with no front yards to speak of, the neighbors must love him
parking on the lawn.

Methinks that if OP can't figure a painless way to rig the front door to
not lock him out every time it closes (like a snippet of duct tape over
the the bolt), he'd best not be doing any work on the brakes on his
motorcar. Dunno about UK and Chubb or whoever, but door latch makers
here in the states always put a little tab or button to disable the
auto-lock feature when needed.

Assuming this isn't just a troll, of course.

--
aem sends...
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
EXT wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and
lay my tools out on the floor behind the front door. ...

Just about any door latch in the world will fix that.

Why not use a tool box next to the car, they close up quick too.

How about a car that doesn't need fixing so much?

--

Hi,
That car has Lucas parts.

Yeah, I used to work in the auto business in the '50s. I can remember Lucas
electrical systems and parts. Took forever to trace out the wiring, and it
never went where you thought it should go. Electrical parts were twice the
price of North American auto parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

john hamilton wrote:
[...]

Presumably some form of spring loaded device should work better than
the cork, allowing the door expansion and contraction to be handled auto.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 14:26:37 -0400, EXT wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
dpb wrote:
EXT wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
john hamilton wrote:
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and
lay my tools out on the floor behind the front door. ...

Just about any door latch in the world will fix that.

Why not use a tool box next to the car, they close up quick too.

How about a car that doesn't need fixing so much?

--

Hi,
That car has Lucas parts.

Yeah, I used to work in the auto business in the '50s. I can remember
Lucas electrical systems and parts. Took forever to trace out the
wiring, and it never went where you thought it should go. Electrical
parts were twice the price of North American auto parts.

I seem to remember expensive Wipac parts (Wico-Pacy Corporation of the
USA) my my British bike. They weren't much better!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Pop on over to the locksmith and have him make you a spare key you can leave
in the door while you are working on the car.

Another option would be to purchase a latch that you can install that does
not require a key to operate, or has a function where it can be locked or
unlocked as you see fit. These are very common in the US and Canada, and
while custom doesn't have them in use in the UK, I would bet that something
of this sort is available from your local locksmith.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That
defies all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

ordinary IDE, the magnet is so strong that it is hard to get off a flat
metal surface without tools!!!

Well I guess you learn something new every day. I would think a magnet
anywhere near the metal recording medium where the data lives would wipe
it out.

DAGS _rare earth magnets hard drive_

Get your free magnets
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

"john hamilton" wrote in message
When working on my car, I bring it right up close to the house and lay my
tools out on the floor behind the front door. Since you never know when
it will rain, it works out very handy since then all I have to do is close
the door; and don't have to be picking up all the tools.

Get a portable carport.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

"Toby Sleigh" wrote in message

"Jeff The Drunk" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That defies
all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

All hard drives, the head arm solenoid uses them. My shed's full of
magnets from HDDs. For example I use them to store sash clamps out of the
way on the ceiling. I've used one from a larger mainframe disk drive to
fish 37lb sash weights from a skip, you've just got to make sure it
doesn't touch the side of the skip.

Sounds like trying to get a prize out of one of those crane machines! )

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

He's keeping his trousers up with that!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

john hamilton wrote:
[...]

Would leaving the key in the door be too much trouble?
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Shoaf wrote:
Another option would be to purchase a latch that you can install that
does not require a key to operate, or has a function where it can be
locked or unlocked as you see fit. These are very common in the US and
Canada, and while custom doesn't have them in use in the UK, I would bet
that something of this sort is available from your local locksmith.

If the OP has one of the modern double-glazed doors, especially the ones
than shoot dead-bolts up, down, left, right and every-which-way when
locked, it's probably not an option - at least not without paying the
locksmith a fair wad for him to come and fit a replacement.

But those types of doors already have a latch where the door remains shut
and is only locked when you lift up on the lever. At least the ones that I
have seen that have made it to California.

Still the local locksmith should have a solution at hand, even if it is only
the spare key.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:26:30 -0700, "Lobby Dosser"
wrote:

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

Trousers? Are those the same as Breeches?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.woodworking

wrote:

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

I was translating to Brit.

Just got in from the Isle of Skye
I'm not very big and I'm awfully shy
The ladies shout as I go by
Donald where's your troosers?

Chorus:

Let the winds blow high,
Let the winds blow low,
Down the street in my kilt I go
And all the ladies say hello
Donald where's your troosers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

Jeff The Drunk wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 11:06:09 -0400, Ralph Mowery wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
Have tried using the strongest cuboard magnet I can find (In north
London u.k.), but if the wind picks up surprisingly it will just not
hold. Also

The magnet out of a hard drive is flat and very strong.

Really? What kind of hard drive has a big flat magnet inside? That
defies all logic on the principals of how a hard drive works.

ordinary IDE, the magnet is so strong that it is hard to get off a flat
metal surface without tools!!!

Well I guess you learn something new every day. I would think a magnet
anywhere near the metal recording medium where the data lives would wipe
it out.

Since Faraday all motors use magnets!

But this is Sunday. Faraday's not for 5 days.

door wont shut quietly svmsbb Home Ownership 0 May 28th 06 12:16 PM
Lawnmower - Wont stay running Joe Bott Home Repair 4 October 3rd 05 12:14 AM
Garage Door Wont Stay Up Steve UK diy 12 February 24th 05 06:22 PM
Heat wont shut off ? sodbrother Home Repair 0 January 10th 05 09:44 PM
Vinyl Windows wont stay up Joseph A. Zupko Home Repair 0 June 30th 03 05:37 AM