Magna Booster - Do I need One??

Old May 31st 10, 08:17 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magna Booster - Do I need One??

Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Thanks for you advice.

Simon

Old May 31st 10, 08:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
swiggers writes
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

If she believes in magic and is trying to get rid of excess money, then
yes

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago

Conventional as opposed to condensing ?

That would most likely be illegal

and is
on a service contract with BG.

There's a mistake for a start

--
geoff
Old May 31st 10, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700, swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking up'.
The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is on
a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick IMO. Dr Drivel will no doubt differ, but he's a nutter
(really).

If you do decide to go ahead, get quotes from local plumbers. Will be a
LOT cheaper than BG, and the workmanship will be better.

Example: I asked BG to quote for a boiler replacement a couple of years
ago. I also asked for a quote from a local, trusted plumber/heating
engineer. The local chap's quote actually included some additional bits,
as it turned out.

BG (with £600 discount included) - about £3250.
Local man - £1900.

And that was with a better boiler as well.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old May 31st 10, 08:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick at a rip off price. Get rid of the BG service contract,
they have a nasty habit of claiming the boiler needs replacing because
spares are unavailable - when they are.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old May 31st 10, 08:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 20:44:50 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking up'.
The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is on
a service contract with BG.

Useless gimmick at a rip off price. Get rid of the BG service contract,
they have a nasty habit of claiming the boiler needs replacing because
spares are unavailable - when they are.

Aftre my previous followup - they rendered our old boiler unserviceable
and were surprised when I got the new one from soemone else.

Old June 1st 10, 12:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700 (PDT), swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'.

Utter bull****. With a conventional boiler and indeed with a
condensing one the central heating water just circulates. The system
should have inhibitor(*) in this water to prevent corrosion. Even in
a very hard water area the amount of lime bought in for filling the
system is not remotely anywhere near being problem.

The only problem is if fresh water has to be introduced regulary to
counter leaks but even then the problem will be mainly from the
oxgyen in the fresh water leading to increased corrosion not any
lime.

The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Tell 'em to go take a running jump.

(*) But as this system is under a BG "service" contract I wouldn't
like to be on that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old June 1st 10, 12:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember swiggers
saying something like:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating

250quid for snake oil. I bet the so-called 'engineer' is on a bonus for
recommending such ****e.
Old June 1st 10, 12:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 31, 8:17*pm, swiggers wrote:
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

From the Daily Telegraph "However, recent industrial unrest has led to
many engineers posting their experiences on internet forums, including
the “Gas Leak” forum on the GMB Union website, and on the Telegraph
website [in response to Harry Wallop’s report of March 23]. They claim
British Gas management will not admit that its engineers are given
commission for selling, but prefers to describe the process as
“earning time bonuses” for “giving best advice”. If an engineer “gives
best advice” that a customer should buy a new boiler, for example, he
is allegedly rewarded with a time bonus equivalent to £12, and is
given a management target to give this kind of advice at least 24
times a year. If he “gives best advice” that a customer needs a
powerflush, or to buy a magnaclean filter or carbon monoxide detector,
the alleged time bonus is equivalent to £9 or £10 each time."

Avoid BG engineers like the plague.

MBQ

Old June 2nd 10, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I've heard water conditioning magnets can help too,
so has anyone any advice on these, cheap emough to try I guess.http://www.first4magnets.com/water-c...gnets-33-c.asp

but it is worth the effort ?
and long term would this build up a potential blockage in the pipe,
if the water is 'well 'ard' as in East ludun init !

I thought these magnet-based water softeners were pure snake oil - but
this report from Southern Water says the effect is real (e.g. less
crusting), though very variable:

http://www.southernwater.co.uk/pdf/E...ersWRCnote.pdf

Old June 3rd 10, 10:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"swiggers" wrote in message
Hi

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'. The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW
London - the water is quite hard.

Is this Magna booster a good idea - or a useless gimmick? My mum has a
Potterton conventional gas bolier fitted about four years ago and is
on a service contract with BG.

Thanks for you advice.

Well worth it and they do work. They protect the system.
http://www.magnabooster2.co.uk/

Take no notice of the amateur idiots on this group.

ram booster 8.0 crack [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 20th 08 03:53 PM
Magna-Set Magnetic Jointer Knife Setting Jig Rick Woodworking 4 January 18th 08 10:58 PM
VOIP Booster? Mike Dobony Home Repair 16 September 24th 07 02:01 PM
Magna bandsaw R Hawkins Woodworking 1 July 13th 06 04:00 PM
Hot water booster [email protected] UK diy 6 January 15th 06 08:25 PM