Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Screwfix Hitachi cordless SDS - any good

Too early to tell the real lifetime of these beasts I know but has anyone
any experience of the Hitachi 24V SDS Screwfix currently have on offer:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37651/

It was tempting at £250 but now it's down to £200 I'm in serious danger of
nabbing one.

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me
Than a full-frontal lobotomy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
YAPH wrote:
Too early to tell the real lifetime of these beasts I know but has anyone
any experience of the Hitachi 24V SDS Screwfix currently have on offer:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/37651/

It was tempting at £250 but now it's down to £200 I'm in serious danger
of nabbing one.

Could be nice for the man who has everything and plenty money, but just
how often would you use a cordless SDS? I can see it being useful for a
satellite dish fitter etc, but for DIY? My SDS gets most use for
chiselling, and I doubt the batteries would last long doing that.

--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It has roto-stop mode which some of the cheaper cordless sds seem to
miss out on (well the bosch do).

I want one for fossil hunting!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:45:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

It was tempting at £250 but now it's down to £200 I'm in serious

danger
of nabbing one.

I was looking the other day at battery SDS drills until I saw the
prices...

I'm not quite sure how you "Save £100" as shown in the banner above
the image when the "was" price is shown as £249.99 and the current
price £199.99...

Could be nice for the man who has everything and plenty money, but just
how often would you use a cordless SDS?

For me anytime I want to drill a hole in the walls. The battery
hammer drill driver can hardly scratch the surface. Running a mains
extension is a PITA if outside but not sure if it's a £200 PITA. B-)

I doubt the batteries would last long doing that.

2AHr ones supplied but two of them, I wonder what the battery life is
like and how does the 1.7J impact energy compare?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

I doubt the batteries would last long doing that.

2AHr ones supplied but two of them, I wonder what the battery life is
like and how does the 1.7J impact energy compare?

I have an old Bosch 12V SDS which is capable of drilling 3 or 4 10mm
holes to about 3" deep on a charge - when the battery is in good
condition, of course. Just the job for something you know will only need
that amount of energy - and the spare battery takes up no real room in a
pocket, if necessary.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 12:43:52 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

2AHr ones supplied but two of them, I wonder what the battery life

is
like and how does the 1.7J impact energy compare?

I have an old Bosch 12V SDS which is capable of drilling 3 or 4 10mm
holes to about 3" deep on a charge - when the battery is in good
condition, of course.

What capacity batteries? They'd need to be 4AHr to store the same
energy as 2AHr 24V ones.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/06/2010 08:42, Dave Liquorice wrote:

2AHr ones supplied but two of them, I wonder what the battery life is
like and how does the 1.7J impact energy compare?

2kg class mains drills usually do a tad over 2J. The Hitachi mains ones
pushing just under 3J

--
Cheers,

John.

I abused a Hitachi 24V SDS cordless for 3 years before it died. It was the
best cordless SDS drill I have ever owned. It was not the model that the OP
is looking at (similar but no chisel action), and it was better than any
DeWalt, Makita, Hilti or Bosch SDS that I have ever used.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Liquorice"
saying something like:

What capacity batteries? They'd need to be 4AHr to store the same
energy as 2AHr 24V ones.

These are pretty old - Istr they're only about 2Ah.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article WmPPn.45150$No5.27671@hurricane,
ARWadsworth wrote:
I abused a Hitachi 24V SDS cordless for 3 years before it died. It was
the best cordless SDS drill I have ever owned. It was not the model
that the OP is looking at (similar but no chisel action), and it was
better than any DeWalt, Makita, Hilti or Bosch SDS that I have ever
used.

I've got an Hitachi steel sheet nibbler. Quite a rare tool and obviously
pro. Has that air of quality about it and the only other power tool I have
that sort of matches it is my Fein Multimaster. Difficult to explain.

--
*How do you tell when you run out of invisible ink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 23:45:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Could be nice for the man who has everything and plenty money, but just
how often would you use a cordless SDS?

Not often enough that I've been seriously tempted to pay twice what the
Hitachi's currently going for, but often enough that it would be quite
nice to have when I've got to fix down a WC pan to a solid floor, stick a
hole through a wall or whatever, and it takes almost as long faffing
about with mains extension cables as doing the job itsef! And particularly
for the very few occasions when I've got to work up a ladder where a
trailing mains cable is particularly unwelcome.

I'd keep my mains SDS too, for more sustained drilling and particularly
hammering/chiselling where I'd probably be forever juggling batteries with
the cordless.

Practically, one of the real issues is where I'd *keep* the damn' thing
since the van's full of toadstools[1] and the carry case it comes in has
the rather pathetically bloated size compared to its contents you
usually get on toy DIY stuff ("look what a bit tool I've got!" - the
powertool equivalent of rock stars' socks stuffed down the trouser crotch :-))

[1] There's not mush room inside ;-)
(Who remembers Lonny Donegan's "My old man's a dustman"?!

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

I used to think the brain was the most interesting part of the body
- until I realised what was telling me that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
[...]

And what are Gor Blimey trousers?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:48:34 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

And what are Gor Blimey trousers?

Dunno but if you Google for it you find some discussion and speculation.

--
John Stumbles

If we'd known how much fun grandchildren are
we'd have had them first