Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fascia venting (again)

Hi,

Anyone familiar with these:

http://www.roofinglines.co.uk/produc...cia-vent-strip

?

Recap - need to vent the dormer facias, there is no soffit, so has to go
in the fascias.

I presume these are designed to screw to the top of uPVC fascias?

I guess these things might be retro-fittable if I can get the uPVC
fascia off (ie is the roof felt stuck to it or not - only trying will
tell[1]), sticking one of these on top and refitting the fascia dropped
by about an inch. OK it will no longer line up with the edge fascias,
but I don't think anyone will notice at that height.

[1] If the felt (which was hot-tarred on) is, is it viable to release
the felt by application of a suitable gas torch?

The other option is hole-sawing or jisawing big holes in the front and
gluing a louvred gas vent+insect screen on - but I'm less confident
about the air flow and rain proofness of that idea...

And there was another option John R came up with last time round of
using flat ventilation 90 degree turns as rain proofing, but that, while
very convincing will be a bit fiddly too.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/10 18:15, John Rumm wrote:
On 28/05/2010 16:44, Tim Watts wrote:
Hi,

Anyone familiar with these:

http://www.roofinglines.co.uk/produc...cia-vent-strip

?

Recap - need to vent the dormer facias, there is no soffit, so has to go
in the fascias.

Or use a vent tile, or strip some tiles, and replace the under felt with
breathable one.

I presume these are designed to screw to the top of uPVC fascias?

Looks like it...

I guess these things might be retro-fittable if I can get the uPVC
fascia off (ie is the roof felt stuck to it or not - only trying will
tell[1]), sticking one of these on top and refitting the fascia dropped
by about an inch. OK it will no longer line up with the edge fascias,
but I don't think anyone will notice at that height.

You could always chop a bit off the top of the facia

[1] If the felt (which was hot-tarred on) is, is it viable to release
the felt by application of a suitable gas torch?

Ah, is this a flat roof?

Yes...

Sticking the stuff with a gas torch is easy enough - not sure I would
want to try and free one though!

Seeing if it can be prised off cold would probably be easier.

Good news... I've just managed to lean far enough out of an upstairs
window to get a bit of a look underneath. The felt hangs into or over
the gutter (I think, couldn't see that bit). The fascia b

The other option is hole-sawing or jisawing big holes in the front and

or multimastering - you know you want to ;-)

gluing a louvred gas vent+insect screen on - but I'm less confident
about the air flow and rain proofness of that idea...

Louvred vents with the fins pointing down is probably the best you will
achieve in that respect... I ought to be no worse than an air brick.

And there was another option John R came up with last time round of
using flat ventilation 90 degree turns as rain proofing, but that, while
very convincing will be a bit fiddly too.

If you are taking the facia off, then it would be fairly easy to cut a
slot and poke one end of a L shaped vent through from the back. Allowing
air in, but requiring water to make a vertical ascent after entry.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arrgh - connection error adn subsequant TB wibble caused me to send this
one uncompleted by mistake

On 28/05/10 18:19, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

The fascia board is in the clear. Interestingly, something I hadn't
noticed before. There is 20-30mm wide infill between the fascia and the
top of the wall tiles (like a micro soffit). The fascia overhangs it by
about an inch. Another option might be to have that strip out and
replace with a strip of metal insect mesh which would allow a lovely
airflow up there and the fascia overhangs well enough to stop rain
getting up there.

I'll see if I can get some photos. Probably still be easier to de-nail
the fascia and remove the plastic gutter first, to get it out cleanly
and to get a good fit with the mesh. But that's looking like an
attractive idea.

The other option is hole-sawing or jisawing big holes in the front and

or multimastering - you know you want to ;-)

gluing a louvred gas vent+insect screen on - but I'm less confident
about the air flow and rain proofness of that idea...

Louvred vents with the fins pointing down is probably the best you will
achieve in that respect... I ought to be no worse than an air brick.

And there was another option John R came up with last time round of
using flat ventilation 90 degree turns as rain proofing, but that, while
very convincing will be a bit fiddly too.

If you are taking the facia off, then it would be fairly easy to cut a
slot and poke one end of a L shaped vent through from the back. Allowing
air in, but requiring water to make a vertical ascent after entry.

Yes I had considered the option of removing the fascia, modding it at
ground level and refitting it. I did wonder how wibbly it would get with
all those holes chopped in it!

On an aside, re fitting celotex in the deep dark recesses he

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu..._0012.jpg.html

ie between the rafters in that 1m deep void to the right (I have 7m
length of such voids!)...

I have just located a supplier of a foam gun with a 31" barrel, rated
for PU foam, standard can fitment.

It's going to cost, mostly the shipping from the USA is more than the
gun's worth, but I rate it as essential here. You couldn't even get the
celotex in in one cut piece into some of those areas - I reckoned on one
of those voids needing maybe 3-4 cut pieces foamed in just to do 400mm x
about 1000mm.

It's a yuk job alright. Someways, I wish the roof was knackered and thus
I'd have budgeted for re-tiling/refelting - 'cos then I'd just have a
warm deck job done (ie celotex on the top of the rafters) instead which
would be the best way by far...

Tube on a gun isn't going to cut it - too many bits of conduit coming up
by the wall plate that I don;t want to get covered in foam!

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 28, 4:44*pm, Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

The units you see in the link are over fascia vent strips. They are
designed to fit on top of a fascia board under the vapour of underlay
felt on a tiled roof. They can either be nailed or screwed on; they
also interlock at the ends. When fitting, the back edge fits flush
with the back edge of the fascia board and the front of the unit hangs
over the front of the fascia board to form the vent cross flow. Theses
unit are NOT designed for flat roofs. Don’t put a blowtorch anywhere
near the units on an eave.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/10 21:46, Kipper at sea wrote:

The units you see in the link are over fascia vent strips. They are
designed to fit on top of a fascia board under the vapour of underlay
felt on a tiled roof. They can either be nailed or screwed on; they
also interlock at the ends. When fitting, the back edge fits flush
with the back edge of the fascia board and the front of the unit hangs
over the front of the fascia board to form the vent cross flow.

Theses
unit are NOT designed for flat roofs.

OK - thanks for clearing that up.

Don’t put a blowtorch anywhere
near the units on an eave.

Figures ;-O

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.

Siding for soffit and fascia [email protected] Home Repair 3 July 17th 08 10:02 PM
fascia board HomerS Home Repair 6 March 30th 08 03:17 AM
repair fascia gaps? ap Home Ownership 1 January 17th 06 02:47 PM
Fascia Mania tonytony Home Repair 1 April 26th 05 12:02 AM
DIY Aluminum/Vinyl Fascia? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 March 7th 05 02:03 PM