Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cowboy Builders (TV - Channel 5)

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they would
go out of business.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they
would go out of business.

Cheaper than advertising, possibly?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/05/2010 21:01, John wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible

Well, that would be a lie, wouldn't it.

and if they were to give anything away then other customers
would have to subsidise it or they would go out of business.

And that's just stating how business works.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and
begs materials and services and get things free. If I was to try
it......!

Seriously have you tried it?

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV.

Why, the suppliers get some very good advertising from it - besides, you
only see the ones that agree, there may be many refusals before they get "a
bite".

I wish a retailer would
tell them that their prices are as low as possible

Now the suppliers would be telling porkies if they did that - as on most of
their stuff the 'mark-up' is around 30-40% of the wholesale price (and
that's without what they can charge for delivery) - and if they're in the
restaurant business, then that mark-up is more like 60% plus.

and if they were
to give anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it
or they would go out of business.

Now you are showing your naivety, the only thing that customers are
subsiding is the owners, holidays and pension funds - and that's what he's
in the business and taking the risks for anyway.

I would suggest that the 'little green man' inside you is showing a little.

Now if you were running a business of your own, and using these suppliers
yourself, I would lay odds that if you gave them enough custom over a period
of time, then they WOULD give you the odd freebie or six, particularly
around Xmas time. LOL

Woodworm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Woodworm wrote :
John wrote:
[...]

I once (only the once) blagged (if that is the right word) a free van
hire for a weekend for a not for profit event. The first company I
rang, to my complete amazement, agreed to it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 May 2010 21:37:02 +0100, "Woodworm"
wrote:

Now the suppliers would be telling porkies if they did that - as on most of
their stuff the 'mark-up' is around 30-40% of the wholesale price (and
that's without what they can charge for delivery) - and if they're in the
restaurant business, then that mark-up is more like 60% plus.

Restaurants usually charge a multiple of the cost of ingredients,
typically four or five times. But that has to pay for all their
overheads, including rent and rates, staff wages, electricity and gas,
water, ...

It is not a highly profitable business, and the risk of going bust is
very high indeed. Lots of people think it's easy, have a go and fail.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Now the suppliers would be telling porkies if they did that - as on most
of
their stuff the 'mark-up' is around 30-40% of the wholesale price (and
that's without what they can charge for delivery) - and if they're in the
restaurant business, then that mark-up is more like 60% plus.

Restaurants usually charge a multiple of the cost of ingredients,
typically four or five times. But that has to pay for all their
overheads, including rent and rates, staff wages, electricity and gas,
water, ...

It is not a highly profitable business, and the risk of going bust is
very high indeed. Lots of people think it's easy, have a go and fail.

.....and the food wastage which is probably considerable. If it is an Indian
restaurant then another will open up a few doors away to pinch some of your
business.............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Woodworm" wrote:

Now the suppliers would be telling porkies if they did that - as on most of
their stuff the 'mark-up' is around 30-40% of the wholesale price (and
that's without what they can charge for delivery) - and if they're in the
restaurant business, then that mark-up is more like 60% plus.

There was a programme last week about the ubiquity of the shipping
container now for nearly all goods.
Interviewed was a raincoat maker from Manchester, which was the World
leader in raincoat manufacture until the 70's.
Retailers then would buy in at £10, then sell to the public at £20.
This manufacturer said they now buy in from China at £10, and sell for
£130. That is why a 50% off sale is still making a profit for the
clothes sellers.
It is cheaper to ship the goods from China to Felixstow, than it is to
truck them from Felixstowe to Manchester.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they would
go out of business.

Its fake (like most TV) and agreed by researchers before Melinda goes
in. One retailer gave the game away the other week, by saying "I
hadn't planned to give you that one ..." So I think researchers first,
then Melinda pushes them a bit. The understanding is the free
advertising.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Wages is the largest part for many resurants, and the wages required
to handle the increasing levels of red tape (anti-money laundering
measures, etc) has escalated enormously over the last 10 years and
bites heavily into the smaller businesses in particular. A friend
packed his in because of this - red tape took up more and more time,
until he had no leasure time left and not enough time to actually
run the business.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they
would
go out of business.

Its fake (like most TV) and agreed by researchers before Melinda goes
in. One retailer gave the game away the other week, by saying "I
hadn't planned to give you that one ..." So I think researchers first,
then Melinda pushes them a bit. The understanding is the free
advertising.
Simon.

I don't think the advertising is very effective as it isn't obvious who the
supplier is (unless I miss it in the credits) - in any case, the fact they
can give stuff away would turn me against them - unless they also give me
something for free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yep. This may now change: the Labour view of the world is it has two
sorts of people - deserving workers and large exploitative bosses, and
red tape is a way to keep the latter in check.

For small businesses nothing is further from the truth.
Labour has kept a class war going that wasn't even relevant by 1960..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Woodworm wrote:
John wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and
begs materials and services and get things free. If I was to try
it......!

Seriously have you tried it?

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV.

Why, the suppliers get some very good advertising from it - besides,
you only see the ones that agree, there may be many refusals before
they get "a bite".

I wish a retailer would
tell them that their prices are as low as possible

Now the suppliers would be telling porkies if they did that - as on
most of their stuff the 'mark-up' is around 30-40% of the wholesale
price (and that's without what they can charge for delivery) - and if
they're in the restaurant business, then that mark-up is more like
60% plus.

My wife's a VAT Assurance Officer and is forever complaining at the prices
of stuff because she knows just how much markup is being put on :-)

Two quick examples (not DIY related but you'll get the point):

1. Opticians and spectacle frames - most frames are bought in for a fiver or
less, _including_ the 'designer' ones such as D&G, DKNY etc (IIRC as she's
not here at the mo to confirm).

2. Pubs. We were in a pub recently where they were selling Westons
"Traditional Scrumpy" cider (6.0%) at FOUR QUID a pint! Now, we happen to
really like this and buy it ourselves direct from Westons. The cost of a
20-litre box (that's 35.2 pints) is £41.55 plus £7 delivery, all including
VAT. If I've got the sums right, that's about £1.37 a pint. And, the pub
will get even more discount for bulk buying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:
Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they would
go out of business.

The whole programme is annoying. A family "abandoned" by their
builder, with no explanation of why the builder left the site and only
the punter's side of the story. An extension/loft conversion that is
sometimes badly built, but mostly just part finished ("dangerous") and
first-fixed ("dangerous, look at those wires hanging out"). Then
there's the set piece of Melinda's pet builder sucking his teeth when
asked to do more than he has, allegedly, been paid to do, and the
faked blagging from shops. Not to mention the East End bloke doing the
full stalking-and-leaping-out-of-a-cupboard-with-a-microphone routine
at the slightest excuse. I used to watch it, but nowadays it mostly
clashes with Challenge Tommy Walsh, which is, of course, unmissable.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 26, 11:49*am, "John" wrote:
Woodworm wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

How do you think the pubs overheads compare with your overheads? How
many domestic staff do you employ for starters? How much do you pay
your accountant? How much does your bank charge you each time you sell
yourself a pint? etc, etc, etc,...

If you don't like the pub prices then don't go to the pub.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 13:51, geraldthehamster wrote:
On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:

[...]

Whats the Tommy Walsh programme like ?
On what channel ?
I only have freeview at the moment.

I remember spending an entire bank holiday once watching a US series
on Sky where they renovated a huge house (well, probably a "normal" US
house) complete with big pillars out the front.
I "did" all the episodes back to back much like the posh folk "do"
Wagner's Ring Cycle ! With a glass of Pimms ;-)

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On 26 May, 15:19, "John" wrote:
If we didn't pay any taxes where would the money for hospitals,
roads, schools etc., etc. come from? We all have to pay taxes, like
it or not.

Given all the taxes we pay, why isn't there enough money for
hospitals, roads, schools etc?

You, me and about 60 million others would like to know the answer to that
one )
Unless, of course, you take into consideration that all politicians are
cheating, lying scumbags out to line their own pockets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-26, John wrote:
Owain wrote:
On 26 May, 15:19, "John" wrote:
If we didn't pay any taxes where would the money for hospitals,
roads, schools etc., etc. come from? We all have to pay taxes, like
it or not.

Given all the taxes we pay, why isn't there enough money for
hospitals, roads, schools etc?

You, me and about 60 million others would like to know the answer to
that one )
Unless, of course, you take into consideration that all politicians
are cheating, lying scumbags out to line their own pockets.

Phew. You are on the right wavelength, after all.

Of course!! )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Man at B&Q" wrote in message
On May 26, 11:49 am, "John" wrote:
Woodworm wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

That seems to be what's happening in my area East London, lots of pubs
have closed down over the last few years. It is far cheaper to buy booze at
the supermarket, and pubs are usually controlled by the brewery who seem to
think
increasing prices brings in more profit. Sometimes it's area and culture.
One local pub to me started specialising in fine wines and spirits to
get the punters in, but the aera has become more and more muslim
over the years and they tend not to spend much time in pubs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they
would go out of business.

Cheaper than advertising, possibly?

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 17:55, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they
would go out of business.

Cheaper than advertising, possibly?

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

the shameless lure of "gettin on the telly" maybe?

JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:

[...]

Challenge Tommy Walsh is on Quest (Freeview 38) most evenings. They're
probably old repeats, but I find them interesting, because unlike
almost every other housey programme, they actually show you how to do
stuff.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:

Challenge Tommy Walsh is on Quest (Freeview 38) most evenings. They're
probably old repeats, but I find them interesting, because unlike
almost every other housey programme, they actually show you how to do
stuff.

Yes, not a lot, but a lot better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:

[...]

But do the owners return and keep saying "Oh my God"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 26 May, 13:51, geraldthehamster wrote:
... Then
there's the set piece of Melinda's pet builder sucking his teeth when
asked to do more than he has, allegedly, been paid to do, and the
faked blagging from shops.

And the other set piece of Melinda pretending to knock down a wall
with a hammer you wouldn't give away with blue bird toffee

Owain

She has pretend tits.

So a 0/10 on my score

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 23:09, "John" wrote:

Challenge Tommy Walsh is on Quest (Freeview 38) most evenings. They're
probably old repeats, but I find them interesting, because unlike
almost every other housey programme, they actually show you how to do
stuff.

Cheers
Richard

But do the owners return and keep saying "Oh my God"- Hide quoted text -

The owner is usually there mucking in.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember JimK
saying something like:

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

the shameless lure of "gettin on the telly" maybe?

Fifteen seconds of fame.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember JimK
saying something like:

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

the shameless lure of "gettin on the telly" maybe?

Fifteen seconds of fame.

Might be a blow job.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes
and begs materials and services and get things free. If I was to
try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer
would tell them that their prices are as low as possible and if
they were to give anything away then other customers would have to
subsidise it or they would go out of business.

Cheaper than advertising, possibly?

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a
mention, if any at all.

I expect there is a huge difference between what the researcher promises &
the editor produces. TV producers are only interested in ratings and are
completely ruthless in achieving their goal.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-26, John wrote:

My wife's a VAT Assurance Officer and is forever complaining at the prices
of stuff because she knows just how much markup is being put on :-)

Two quick examples (not DIY related but you'll get the point):

1. Opticians and spectacle frames - most frames are bought in for a fiver or
less, _including_ the 'designer' ones such as D&G, DKNY etc

*All* so-called "designer" crap is a rip-off.

It's all about charging what the market will bear. And fashion is a triumph of
that - create a demand for something ephemeral and all about looks over
substance, and then charge a premium price for it.

I'm not sure "rip-off" is the word I'd use. They are exploiting a foible of
human nature, and they don't have to lie about what they're providing. Is that
ripping people off? To me it's immoral to take advantage of stupidity, but the
bizarre truth is that many people seem to like being taken advantage of in this
way. "Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be used by you."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

At least you have the choice, unlike when HMRC
are stealing your money.

If we didn't pay any taxes where would the money for hospitals, roads,
schools etc., etc. come from? We all have to pay taxes, like it or not.

Too much sense!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Owain wrote:
On 26 May, 15:19, "John" wrote:
If we didn't pay any taxes where would the money for hospitals,
roads, schools etc., etc. come from? We all have to pay taxes, like
it or not.

Given all the taxes we pay, why isn't there enough money for
hospitals, roads, schools etc?

You, me and about 60 million others would like to know the answer to that
one )
Unless, of course, you take into consideration that all politicians are
cheating, lying scumbags out to line their own pockets.

The politicians are just like us, on average.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Huge wrote:

Why aren't you prepared to extend the same rights to taxpayers as to
consumers instead of spouting the arrant tosh that "We all have to pay
taxes"?

You can always choose to live in a country where people don't pay taxes. Like
the Congo, or Somalia.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

"Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be used by you."

s/use/abuse/g
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

I remember spending an entire bank holiday once watching a US series
on Sky where they renovated a huge house (well, probably a "normal" US
house) complete with big pillars out the front.
I "did" all the episodes back to back much like the posh folk "do"
Wagner's Ring Cycle ! With a glass of Pimms ;-)

Simon.

I used to watch This Old House when I lived in the US.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

"Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be used by you."

s/use/abuse/g

Both versions occur in the song.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

"Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be used by you."

s/use/abuse/g

Both versions occur in the song.

Well, near enough ...

"some of them want to GET used by you"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
John wrote:

At least you have the choice, unlike when HMRC
are stealing your money.

If we didn't pay any taxes where would the money for hospitals, roads,
schools etc., etc. come from? We all have to pay taxes, like it or not.

Too much sense!

If we didnt pay taxes, we could simply pay for all the above ourselves,
minus the extra commission the government takes for acting as a middle man.

For all but the dole bound, it would be a net saving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 May 2010 17:55:01 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

I bet you see an outside shot of the shop... and after transmission
there will be posters in the window "as seen on...". The benefit to
the shop owner isn't with the whole national TV audience but the
locals.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
John wrote:
Owain wrote:
On 26 May, 15:19, "John" wrote:
If we didn't pay any taxes where would the money for hospitals,
roads, schools etc., etc. come from? We all have to pay taxes, like
it or not.
Given all the taxes we pay, why isn't there enough money for
hospitals, roads, schools etc?

You, me and about 60 million others would like to know the answer to that
one )
Unless, of course, you take into consideration that all politicians are
cheating, lying scumbags out to line their own pockets.

The politicians are just like us, on average.

Not much like me on average ;-)

Cowboy builders dennis@home UK diy 0 September 30th 09 11:40 AM
O/T: The Cowboy! Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 0 May 3rd 09 04:49 AM
Cowboy builders - again! A.Lee UK diy 9 June 30th 07 10:54 PM
Cowboy builders Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt UK diy 10 August 29th 05 02:33 PM
Cowboy builders Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Home Ownership 0 August 23rd 05 07:19 AM