Cowboy Builders (TV - Channel 5)

Old May 26th 10, 06:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cowboy Builders (TV - Channel 5)

On 26 May, 17:55, Grimly Curmudgeon
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they
would go out of business.

Cheaper than advertising, possibly?

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

the shameless lure of "gettin on the telly" maybe?

JimK
Old May 26th 10, 09:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 14:46, sm_jamieson wrote:
On 26 May, 13:51, geraldthehamster wrote:

On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes and begs
materials and services and get things free. If I was to try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer would tell
them that their prices are as low as possible and if they were to give
anything away then other customers would have to subsidise it or they would
go out of business.

The whole programme is annoying. A family "abandoned" by their
builder, with no explanation of why the builder left the site and only
the punter's side of the story. An extension/loft conversion that is
sometimes badly built, but mostly just part finished ("dangerous") and
first-fixed ("dangerous, look at those wires hanging out"). Then
there's the set piece of Melinda's pet builder sucking his teeth when
asked to do more than he has, allegedly, been paid to do, and the
faked blagging from shops. Not to mention the East End bloke doing the
full stalking-and-leaping-out-of-a-cupboard-with-a-microphone routine
at the slightest excuse. I used to watch it, but nowadays it mostly
clashes with Challenge Tommy Walsh, which is, of course, unmissable.

Cheers
Richard

Whats the Tommy Walsh programme like ?
On what channel ?
I only have freeview at the moment.

Challenge Tommy Walsh is on Quest (Freeview 38) most evenings. They're
probably old repeats, but I find them interesting, because unlike
almost every other housey programme, they actually show you how to do
stuff.

Cheers
Richard
Old May 26th 10, 10:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:

Challenge Tommy Walsh is on Quest (Freeview 38) most evenings. They're
probably old repeats, but I find them interesting, because unlike
almost every other housey programme, they actually show you how to do
stuff.

Yes, not a lot, but a lot better.
Old May 26th 10, 11:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 May, 21:01, "John" wrote:

[...]

But do the owners return and keep saying "Oh my God"

Old May 26th 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 26 May, 13:51, geraldthehamster wrote:
... Then
there's the set piece of Melinda's pet builder sucking his teeth when
asked to do more than he has, allegedly, been paid to do, and the
faked blagging from shops.

And the other set piece of Melinda pretending to knock down a wall
with a hammer you wouldn't give away with blue bird toffee

Owain

She has pretend tits.

So a 0/10 on my score

Adam

Old May 27th 10, 10:11 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 May, 23:09, "John" wrote:

Challenge Tommy Walsh is on Quest (Freeview 38) most evenings. They're
probably old repeats, but I find them interesting, because unlike
almost every other housey programme, they actually show you how to do
stuff.

Cheers
Richard

But do the owners return and keep saying "Oh my God"- Hide quoted text -

The owner is usually there mucking in.

Cheers
Richard

Old May 27th 10, 01:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember JimK
saying something like:

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

the shameless lure of "gettin on the telly" maybe?

Fifteen seconds of fame.
Old May 27th 10, 08:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember JimK
saying something like:

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a mention,
if any at all.

the shameless lure of "gettin on the telly" maybe?

Fifteen seconds of fame.

Might be a blow job.

Adam

Old May 28th 10, 12:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

Some good bits in the programme - but annoying when Melinda goes
and begs materials and services and get things free. If I was to
try it......!

I think it is an abuse of the 'power' of TV. I wish a retailer
would tell them that their prices are as low as possible and if
they were to give anything away then other customers would have to
subsidise it or they would go out of business.

Cheaper than advertising, possibly?

I've noticed that many of the freeby donors don't get much of a
mention, if any at all.

I expect there is a huge difference between what the researcher promises &
the editor produces. TV producers are only interested in ratings and are
completely ruthless in achieving their goal.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old May 28th 10, 03:15 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-05-26, John wrote:

My wife's a VAT Assurance Officer and is forever complaining at the prices
of stuff because she knows just how much markup is being put on :-)

Two quick examples (not DIY related but you'll get the point):

1. Opticians and spectacle frames - most frames are bought in for a fiver or
less, _including_ the 'designer' ones such as D&G, DKNY etc

*All* so-called "designer" crap is a rip-off.

It's all about charging what the market will bear. And fashion is a triumph of
that - create a demand for something ephemeral and all about looks over
substance, and then charge a premium price for it.

I'm not sure "rip-off" is the word I'd use. They are exploiting a foible of
human nature, and they don't have to lie about what they're providing. Is that
ripping people off? To me it's immoral to take advantage of stupidity, but the
bizarre truth is that many people seem to like being taken advantage of in this
way. "Some of them want to use you, some of them want to be used by you."

Cowboy builders dennis@home UK diy 0 September 30th 09 11:40 AM
O/T: The Cowboy! Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 0 May 3rd 09 04:49 AM
Cowboy builders - again! A.Lee UK diy 9 June 30th 07 10:54 PM
Cowboy builders Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt UK diy 10 August 29th 05 02:33 PM
Cowboy builders Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt Home Ownership 0 August 23rd 05 07:19 AM