Shave/plane glass?

Old May 23rd 10, 08:50 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shave/plane glass?

I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. (It would take a
long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.
Old May 23rd 10, 09:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 May 2010 00:50:59 -0700 (PDT), rpgs rock dvds
wrote:

I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. (It would take a
long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

If it's to go in a wooden frame, could you shave a bit of the frame
away?

--
Frank Erskine
Old May 23rd 10, 09:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
rpgs rock dvds writes
I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. (It would take a
long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

I have used an oil stone to take off sharp edges but 1mm sounds a tall
order. One of those diamond impregnated tool sharpeners perhaps?

I doubt this is an obvious angle grinder job:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Old May 23rd 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

rpgs rock dvds wrote:
I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. (It would take a
long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Only way to do that is to grind it down.

NT
Old May 23rd 10, 10:47 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

rpgs rock dvds wrote:
I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. (It would take a
long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

essentially no.

Especiially if toughened.
Old May 23rd 10, 11:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 May, 08:50, rpgs rock dvds wrote:
I bought some glass, but it's about 1mm too tall. *(It would take a
long dull paragraph to explain everything, so I'll skip that.) *It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. *Is this possible? *Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Take it back to the supplier (or a good glazier, like Roman Glass in
Bristol) and have them grind it down on their belt grinder. This is
easy (for people who have glass-working belt grinders)

You can also do it yourself with a coarse carborundum stone, ideally
working under water. I detest this job, particularly on anything big.
1mm is big for grinding by hand.

Otherwise stretching the frame is probably easier.
Old May 23rd 10, 11:22 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 May, 10:47, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
rpgs rock dvds wrote:

thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off

essentially no.

Especiially if toughened.

Have a grown-up explain the differences between "laminated" and
"toughened" to you.
Old May 23rd 10, 11:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

rpgs rock dvds wrote:

It's
thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off one of
the sides. Is this possible? Thanks a lot for any ideas.

Pilkington can do it. I doubt that you could at home. If you could,
you'd be the sort of person who makes his own telescope lenses and
mirrors and you'd know what to do. As others have said, if it's
toughened glass, which is probably is, then all bets are off.
Old May 23rd 10, 11:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 May, 08:50, rpgs rock dvds wrote:

Thanks a lot for all replies.
I'm going to contact the supplier first thing in the morning, and ask
if I can take the 3 glass sheets back in for grinding.
Just for a bit of extra info/interest - it's 10.8mm acoustic stadip
silence glass. This is laminate glass, but I think the "filling" has
special acoustic properties.
(BTW, it's not possible to alter the frame in any way.)
Old May 23rd 10, 11:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
rpgs rock dvds wrote:

thick lamenate glass, and I need to shave off / plane 1mm off

essentially no.

Especiially if toughened.

Have a grown-up explain the differences between "laminated" and
"toughened" to you.

oops. miised that bit..