Reestit Mutton

Default Stainless Steel splashbacks

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what to look for in a stainless steel splashback and
what to avoid? It seems that I can pay extortionate amounts (£100+) for
a known-brand splashback or peanuts (£25-£30) for a sheet of stainless
steel cut to size but I don't know if there's any difference between the
two options (assuming the edges are clean and straight, that is).

Some people quote the thickness and grade of their steel e.g. 1.2mm 301
dpi. What thickness is considered standard for a cooker splashback and
what does the DPI rating tell you?

Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find (1.2mm 304 DPI for £25)?

cheers,
Laurence.

Reestit Mutton

Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:
Reestit Mutton wrote in message ...

Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find (1.2mm 304 DPI for £25)?

cheers,
Laurence.

Yes. It's not as if the thickness really matters anyway.

I bought a sheet of S/S 600mm by 790mm, (cut to fit exactly) plus a
strip bent to cover the cooker feet for £12; a sheet the wrong
(standard) size was £50 from Comet, and was made of noticeably thinner
sheet.

£12?
What kind of outlet did you get your S/S from?

At £25, it looks like I'm still being charged too much.

RM

Nathan Critchlow-Watton

Reestit Mutton wrote in message ...

Should I just go for the cheapest one I can find (1.2mm 304 DPI for £25)?

cheers,
Laurence.

Yes. It's not as if the thickness really matters anyway.

I bought a sheet of S/S 600mm by 790mm, (cut to fit exactly) plus a
strip bent to cover the cooker feet for £12; a sheet the wrong
(standard) size was £50 from Comet, and was made of noticeably thinner
sheet.

Have you decided how to attach it yet? I used silicone sealant, which
has worked brilliantly. Put a couple of screws in place (below the
cooker) just to rest the edge of the sheet on, silicone on the back
and push it on. You only get one chance to line it up right, so be
careful!

Yours,
Nathan
Nathan Critchlow-Watton

Reestit Mutton wrote in message ...
Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:
Reestit Mutton wrote in message ...

Yes. It's not as if the thickness really matters anyway.

I bought a sheet of S/S 600mm by 790mm, (cut to fit exactly) plus a
strip bent to cover the cooker feet for £12; a sheet the wrong
(standard) size was £50 from Comet, and was made of noticeably thinner
sheet.

£12?
What kind of outlet did you get your S/S from?

At £25, it looks like I'm still being charged too much.

RM

That was from a S/S fabricators, I found him in the yellow pages.
He's in an industrial estate in Falkirk, though I can't imagine that
helps you much! Most light industrial manufacturers will sell to you
directly, although they can be hard to track down.

Reestit Mutton

Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:

That was from a S/S fabricators, I found him in the yellow pages.
He's in an industrial estate in Falkirk, though I can't imagine that
helps you much! Most light industrial manufacturers will sell to you
directly, although they can be hard to track down.

Well, I'm based in Edinburgh so it may be useful to know of this place.

RM

Reestit Mutton

Reestit Mutton wrote:
Nathan Critchlow-Watton wrote:

That was from a S/S fabricators, I found him in the yellow pages. He's
in an industrial estate in Falkirk, though I can't imagine that
helps you much! Most light industrial manufacturers will sell to you
directly, although they can be hard to track down.

actually, now that I think about it, there is an obvious question
arising from this statement...under what heading in the yellow pages did
you find him?

cheers,
RM

Nathan Critchlow-Watton

Reestit Mutton wrote:

actually, now that I think about it, there is an obvious question
arising from this statement...under what heading in the yellow pages did
you find him?

cheers,
RM

I can't work out your e-mail address to send this to you directly!
he was under "steel fabricators", and his company is called "Viking
steel" in Falkirk. It's just off one of the new roundabouts, towards
Camelon.

Steel baths Andrew Gabriel UK diy 35 October 14th 03 11:36 AM
Stainless steel sink - cleaning Ed UK diy 18 September 4th 03 12:07 PM
External Rendering Steel "Beads" Rusting through render Chris Vowles UK diy 3 July 31st 03 02:43 PM
Plastering onto steel Frank Z UK diy 9 July 31st 03 02:18 PM
Would welding the steel in re-enforced concrete add any value? BigWallop UK diy 3 July 12th 03 07:25 PM