Replacing a built-in double electric oven

Old May 15th 10, 09:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing a built-in double electric oven

Hi

I am planning to replace an old built-in double electric oven with a
similarly sized new one. I have some questions regarding wiring and
ventilation.

The new oven is specified as having a total connected load of 5.7KW.

Firstly, the existing oven has its own circuit (supplied by a 20B
MCB). The cable from the consumer unit emerges from the kitchen wall
and is connected directly to the oven. I presume that there should be
an intermediary junction box near the oven. Does Part P require me to
get an electrician to do this work?

When a junction box is provided, may I wire it to the new oven myself?

Secondly, the kitchen cabinet in which the oven is fitted has no
ventilation. The oven is totally enclosed. The dimensional drawing of
the new oven suggests that the cabinet back panel should be open. Is
this typical for built-in ovens?

Best regards

David

Old May 16th 10, 03:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"DavidA" wrote in message
Hi

I am planning to replace an old built-in double electric oven with a
similarly sized new one. I have some questions regarding wiring and
ventilation.

The new oven is specified as having a total connected load of 5.7KW.

Firstly, the existing oven has its own circuit (supplied by a 20B
MCB). The cable from the consumer unit emerges from the kitchen wall
and is connected directly to the oven. I presume that there should be
an intermediary junction box near the oven. Does Part P require me to
get an electrician to do this work?

What do the instuctions for the new oven say you need for a power supply?

If it requires a 20A supply then you can swap it yourself.

Cheers

Adam