DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DZR Brass pipe fittings. Can you tell the difference? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/302818-dzr-brass-pipe-fittings-can-you-tell-difference.html)

Vortex6 May 10th 10 12:25 PM

DZR Brass pipe fittings. Can you tell the difference?

Hello,

I see that BES sells compression fittings that are specifically
described as being made from DZR brass "dezincifaction resistant". They
are more expensive than standard fittings.

This is a distinction that most suppliers do not seem to make.

So the question is: Is it important or irrelevant in "normal" domestic
applications?

Can you visually tell the differernce between a DZR and a non DZR
fitting? Are there different BS standards marked?

I note that all compressions fittings seem to have coded markings
(squares, triangles, circles, dots and sometimes text) that presumably
identify the manufacturer.

Just curious..........

Dave Osborne[_2_] May 10th 10 12:51 PM

Vortex6 wrote:
Hello,

I see that BES sells compression fittings that are specifically
described as being made from DZR brass "dezincifaction resistant". They
are more expensive than standard fittings.

This is a distinction that most suppliers do not seem to make.

So the question is: Is it important or irrelevant in "normal" domestic
applications?

Can you visually tell the differernce between a DZR and a non DZR
fitting? Are there different BS standards marked?

I note that all compressions fittings seem to have coded markings
(squares, triangles, circles, dots and sometimes text) that presumably
identify the manufacturer.

Just curious..........

Google is your friend...

http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/alloys/b...tant-brass.pdf

[email protected] May 10th 10 12:59 PM

DZR Brass pipe fittings. Can you tell the difference?

Google is your friend...

http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/alloys/b...6-dezincificat...

I love the photo of the DZR test rig - complete with DEC VT100 and
teletype - they must have been using that picture for more than 20
years.

Vortex6 May 10th 10 01:25 PM

On 10/05/2010 11:51, Dave Osborne wrote:
Vortex6 wrote:
Hello,

I see that BES sells compression fittings that are specifically
described as being made from DZR brass "dezincifaction resistant".
They are more expensive than standard fittings.

This is a distinction that most suppliers do not seem to make.

So the question is: Is it important or irrelevant in "normal" domestic
applications?

Can you visually tell the differernce between a DZR and a non DZR
fitting? Are there different BS standards marked?

I note that all compressions fittings seem to have coded markings
(squares, triangles, circles, dots and sometimes text) that presumably
identify the manufacturer.

Just curious..........

Google is your friend...

http://www.copperinfo.co.uk/alloys/b...tant-brass.pdf

Thanks.

The DR symbol referred there is something I have never seen (or noticed)
despite me having literally hundreds of brass compression fittings I
have accumulated over the years.

I guess this isn't very common.

js.b1 May 10th 10 02:30 PM

DZR Brass pipe fittings. Can you tell the difference?

DZR is important if the stopcock is going underground, or the water
company advises it.