Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small sheves for shoes - ideas?

Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to put
it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a pension!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Barb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Barb presented the following explanation :
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to put
it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a pension!

DIY...

Wooden dowel, cut to 5" lengths drilled, then glued into some lengths
of 1 x 2" timber so they come out at a 45 deg up angle. Make it either
horizontal or vertical, to suit your location. Shoes hang by their
heels from the dowel 'pegs'

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/10 15:18, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Barb presented the following explanation :
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor!
I need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall
space to put it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary -
however I can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm
on a pension!

DIY...

Wooden dowel, cut to 5" lengths drilled, then glued into some lengths of
1 x 2" timber so they come out at a 45 deg up angle. Make it either
horizontal or vertical, to suit your location. Shoes hang by their heels
from the dowel 'pegs'

I find shoes, especially flat bottomed ones, fall off if the angle is
too steep. I'd go for horizontal.

Another option is to do something creative with 1" steel mesh as
shelves. Stainless would be cool, but probably costly. Galvanised mesh
would work well though.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/05/2010 15:09, Barb wrote:
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to put
it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a pension!

I got a 4-shelf wire rack for my shoes, 25cm x 35cm x 93cm (high) from a
poundstore type of place, cheap - might have even been a quid. Came
flat pack and required the use of some language to put together, but
it's fine :-)

Check those dodgy plastic buckets and spades places ye mostly find
infesting a run-down high street anywhere from gentrified areas, the
shops either run by Indians or the Chinese.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to
put it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a
pension!

Any ideas?

I made one from thin MDF (5mm I think).
As a model I used the inserts which used to go in wine boxes to keep the
bottles apart, scaled up to hold a pair of shoes.
You take (for example) five vertical sheets and three horizontal sheets.
You cut notches in the back of the vertical sheets half way through back to
front.
You cut notches in the front of the horizontal sheets half way through front
to back.
The sheets then just slot together to form a set of boxes (just like the
cardboard inserts which went inside wine boxes).
You need two extra vertical sheets positioned very close to each end to stop
the shoes falling out of the end boxes :-)
Stand the whole thing on its side and you have a (slightly wobbly) set of
pigeon holes to hold shoes.
You can add strengthening around the outside if you find it too wobbly.

Depending on your foot size you should be able to make a three sheet + 2
ends (four hole) rack to fit into your 60cms.
It is easier if at least one side of the space is a wall to provide
additional support because then you can miss out one end sheet.

We have a shoe rack from Argos which might have been ideal - canvas on a
metal frame and 50cms wide by 34 cms deep.
However I can't find it on the web site at the moment
The nearest I can find is
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ESHOE+RACK.htm
which is a completely different design but is 63cms wide.
Or
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...ESHOE+RACK.htm
which is 60cms wide.
At £14.99 it is not too expensive.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Barb wrote:
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to put
it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a pension!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Barb

Just buy one of these flat pack types from Argos:

http://tinyurl.com/39mwajh

(or any of the other solid pine shoe racks in the range) then

1) Saw the slats down to the required length (remembering to take the
end pieces into account when sizing up).
2) Paint it to your desired choice.
3) Assemble it all together.

That's what I did.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In , Barb wrote:

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the
floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space
to put
it, behind the front door.

Any use?

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...condid=9796636

--
Roger Morton

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to
put it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a
pension!

this any good from Ikea?
60cm wide
£12.99
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70114753

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"OG" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote in message
Hi again folks!

I have a small hall, and my shoes and boots are taking over the floor! I
need a shoe rack of some kind, but only have 60cm width of wall space to
put it, behind the front door.

I'm having great difficulty finding anything this narrow, and would be
prepared to get a small shelving unit this width if necessary - however I
can't find one! I don't want to spend loads of cash, cos I'm on a
pension!

Some great ideas there, folks! Thanks very much for your help!

Barb