Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best 'instant on' CFL bulbs?

Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 03 May 2010 17:44:34 +0100, Derek Geldard
wrote:

Oh dear, that bad huh?

So we've had these poor quality CFL bulbs foisted upon us and, to make
matters worse, can no longer buy the old 60w non-CFL bulbs.

What a shambles.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 3, 4:35*pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) *equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

best go up to at least 15w for a 60w equivalent.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 3 May 2010 11:03:33 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On May 3, 4:35=A0pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) =A0equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

best go up to at least 15w for a 60w equivalent.

Noted, ta for the tip.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On May 3, 4:35=A0pm, (jamma-plusser) wrote:
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) =A0equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

best go up to at least 15w for a 60w equivalent.

Noted, ta for the tip.

Also, go for the 'warm' colour temperatu the high colour temp ones make a
room look cold and dark however bright they are when you look right at them.
And our ones (the only kind we could get to fit in the narrow screw size at
the time) rapidly became so dim as to be pretty well unusable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:05:33 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

I have been using compact fluorescent lamps for many decades. Some
of the older ones were noticeably slow to start, especially the old
glass bulb ones, as are some newer ones.

Correct.

These take time to warm up.
However, despite long and loud assertions from some that it is
impossible, I use Philips and General Electric compact fluorescent
lamps in places like stairs and toilets where rapid light is
necessary. These lamps are not noticeably slow to start.

All a bit empirical that, especially from such a biased source. Please
show us your measurements.

As the
lamps last a long time it is not possible for me to say anything
about the lamps now on sale, the ones on the stairs and in the
toilet are at least a decade old.

Ditto.

The exception is the bottom of the stairs. The SES reflector lamp I
tried there was a little too slow to start (another poster has
explained why), so I replaced it with a LED version.

I use the slower starting lamps in places where a slow startup is
not a problem.

Where do you use the dim ones and what for ?

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 May 2010 08:05:33 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

Isn't it the case that LED bulbs have a more concentrated light so
that, in a location like a living room where one normal incandescent
bulb would be fine, with LED bulbs you would need more than one?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jamma-plusser" wrote in message
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

Thanks

You coud always try the halogen energy saving bulbs ( look like an ordinary
bulb but with a 'capsule bulb' inside.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/4/2010 7:20 PM, John Smith wrote:
"jamma-plusser" wrote
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

You coud always try the halogen energy saving bulbs ( look like an
ordinary bulb but with a 'capsule bulb' inside.

What sort of energy consumption do those have? I assume better than
standard incandescent, but are they better, worse, or the same as
incandescent bulbs? And what sort of light do they put out?
(I've just been looking at buying a ceiling light which calls for them.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/4/2010 8:23 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/4/2010 7:20 PM, John Smith wrote:
"jamma-plusser" wrote
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

You coud always try the halogen energy saving bulbs ( look like an
ordinary bulb but with a 'capsule bulb' inside.

What sort of energy consumption do those have? I assume better than
standard incandescent, but are they better, worse, or the same as
incandescent bulbs? And what sort of light do they put out?
(I've just been looking at buying a ceiling light which calls for them.)

Brain isn't working this evening - obviously, I _meant_ to say 'better,
worse, or the same as CFL bulbs'.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May, 20:23, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/4/2010 7:20 PM, John Smith wrote: "jamma-plusser" wrote
Getting a bit tired of CFL bulbs that take up to a minute to warm up
too 100% brightness, so can anyone recommend any 'instant on' 60 Watt
(13 Watt CFL?) equivalent bulbs please?

You coud always try the halogen energy saving bulbs ( look like an
ordinary bulb but with a 'capsule bulb' inside.

What sort of energy consumption do those have? I assume better than
standard incandescent, but are they better, worse, or the same as
incandescent bulbs? *And what sort of light do they put out?
(I've just been looking at buying a ceiling light which calls for them.)

Energy consumption as in use or whole life cycle?

Whole life cycle , tungsten filament dash of bromide, quartz inner and
glass outer enevlope steel and mixed metals connectors , not huge
making or disposal energy cost, about 30% better energy wise tghan non
halogen , nice light far better than CFL, CRI100 against CRI80 odd
fro most CFL

CFL glass outer, phosphor and mercury filled inner, tungsten in
filaments, copper and electrmics in base , plastic housing
questionable life span whole life cost not green at all really.

Lighting aint in a domestic setting a great target fro energy savings.

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/5/2010 4:33 AM, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 4 May, 20:23, S wrote:
On 5/4/2010 7:20 PM, John Smith wrote: wrote
You coud always try the halogen energy saving bulbs ( look like an
ordinary bulb but with a 'capsule bulb' inside.

What sort of energy consumption do those have? I assume better than
standard incandescent, but are they better, worse, or the same as
CFL bulbs? And what sort of light do they put out?
(I've just been looking at buying a ceiling light which calls for them.)

Energy consumption as in use or whole life cycle?

(snip)
Useful information, thank you.
What about electricity use over normal life of the bulb?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 May, 10:33, S Viemeister wrote:
On 5/5/2010 4:33 AM, Adam Aglionby wrote: On 4 May, 20:23, S *wrote:
On 5/4/2010 7:20 PM, John Smith wrote: *wrote
You coud always try the halogen energy saving bulbs ( look like an
ordinary bulb but with a 'capsule bulb' inside.

What sort of energy consumption do those have? I assume better than
standard incandescent, but are they better, worse, or the same as
CFL bulbs? *And what sort of light do they put out?
(I've just been looking at buying a ceiling light which calls for them..)

Energy consumption as in use or whole life cycle?

(snip)
Useful information, thank you.
What about electricity use over normal life of the bulb?

Halogen should give you at least 2000 Hrs against 1000 of normal
incan, 42W = 60W 70W=100W so roughly around 30%

Turning the temp down on your heating and washing will save
considerably more energy.

Different if you need lighting off grid.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5/8/2010 3:05 PM, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 5 May, 10:33, S wrote:

Useful information, thank you.
What about electricity use over normal life of the bulb?

Halogen should give you at least 2000 Hrs against 1000 of normal
incan, 42W = 60W 70W=100W so roughly around 30%

Just what I wanted to know.

Turning the temp down on your heating and washing will save
considerably more energy.

Already done.