Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decking on sloping ground

Hello -

My house is built on higher ground than my neighbour's. There's currently a
1 metre height difference between my garden and my neighbours, retained only
by a wooden fence which is beginning to fail. It looks something like this:
http://i40.tinypic.com/4rqb11.png

I'd like to avoid the cost, possible damage to trees, and disruption of
having a block retaining wall built, and a structural engineer has suggested
excavating the part of my garden next to the fence, to restore something
similar to the original slope, and then putting in decking over the
resulting sloping ground.

Does this sound like a good idea?
What sort of slope angle might the engineer suggest, given that the soil is
clay (this will determine the area of decking) ?
Is this likely to be cheaper than a block retaining wall, given that less
excavation is required?
What might the cost of the decking per square metre be?
Would planning permission be required?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MrSlope" wrote in message
[...]

This is a better diagram, showing some mature trees in the neighbour's
garden that might interfere with the footings of a retaining wall:
http://i43.tinypic.com/wguud3.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:31:52 +0100, "MrSlope"
wrote:

[...]

Have you consulted your neighbours?

How happy do you think your neighbours would be with decking on your
property that would be 1 metre higher than their garden and ran to the
shared boundary?

If I was your neighbour I don't think I would be at all happy with
what you are proposing. I think I would probably be *livid* if you
went ahead and did it without discussing it with me first.

I'm not surprised you have posted anonymously. :-(

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The my garden is currently 1 metre higher than theirs, so overlooking is
hard to avoid. One of the reasons I want to avoid damage to the trees is
that they provide some privacy, so I seem to have limitted options.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that MrSlope formulated :
I'd like to avoid the cost, possible damage to trees, and disruption of
having a block retaining wall built, and a structural engineer has suggested
excavating the part of my garden next to the fence, to restore something
similar to the original slope, and then putting in decking over the
resulting sloping ground.

I'm not suggesting this as a solution, but might some steel piling
(instead of a wall) solve the problem? This assumes there are no pipes,
cables or drains in the area of interest.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
It happens that MrSlope formulated :
I'd like to avoid the cost, possible damage to trees, and disruption of
having a block retaining wall built, and a structural engineer has

suggested
excavating the part of my garden next to the fence, to restore something
similar to the original slope, and then putting in decking over the
resulting sloping ground.

I'm not suggesting this as a solution, but might some steel piling
(instead of a wall) solve the problem? This assumes there are no pipes,
cables or drains in the area of interest.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Thanks for the reply.
I don't think there are any pipes, etc. in the area, but there are probably
tree roots. Access to the site with anything bigger than a wheelbarrow is
difficult, so piling may not be possible if it involves a big machine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 09:28

wrote:

[...]

He's suggesting excavating the ground and installing the decking at the
original height of the ground. Why should there be any problem with
maintaining the status quo?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:34:14 +0100, "MrSlope"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You appear to be limiting your options even further, and maximising
the potential for an upsetting (and completely unnecessary) dispute,
by not discussing with your neighbours your ideas for this *shared
boundary*.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrSlope
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 08:31

Hello -

My house is built on higher ground than my neighbour's. There's currently
a 1 metre height difference between my garden and my neighbours, retained
only by a wooden fence which is beginning to fail. It looks something like
this: http://i40.tinypic.com/4rqb11.png

I'd like to avoid the cost, possible damage to trees, and disruption of
having a block retaining wall built, and a structural engineer has
suggested excavating the part of my garden next to the fence, to restore
something similar to the original slope, and then putting in decking over
the resulting sloping ground.

Does this sound like a good idea?
What sort of slope angle might the engineer suggest, given that the soil
is clay (this will determine the area of decking) ?

45 degrees. I have slopes like that in my garden on clay. I've got a bank at
about 2' high with a slope of about 30 degrees off vertical that is stable,
so you can get away with more.

Is this likely to be cheaper than a block retaining wall, given that less
excavation is required?
What might the cost of the decking per square metre be?
Would planning permission be required?

Check the "planning portal" but I doubt it as your decking would not be
above the original ground level - but you should read it yourself.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:48:03 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Check the "planning portal" but I doubt it as your decking would not be
above the original ground level - but you should read it yourself.

You've missed the point. The original ground level was at the base of
the fence. The ground level has subsequently been raised by about a
metre by the OP which has caused the fence to fail - principally
because it is just a boundary fence and not a retaining wall.

The worst aspect is that the OP does not appear to be talking to the
neighbour - something he should be doing rather than posting here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce brought next idea :
You've missed the point. The original ground level was at the base of
the fence. The ground level has subsequently been raised by about a
metre by the OP which has caused the fence to fail

The OP does not indicate that - my assumption was that the builder had
perhaps adjusted he level and caused the problem.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bruce
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 09:53

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:48:03 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Check the "planning portal" but I doubt it as your decking would not be
above the original ground level - but you should read it yourself.

You've missed the point. The original ground level was at the base of
the fence. The ground level has subsequently been raised by about a
metre by the OP which has caused the fence to fail

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure I missed the point - I've been through all of the OP's posts
and I couldn't find any indication *he* raised the ground. It could have
been like that a decade - he didn't say how substantial the fence was.

Although I'm not sure how to read this: "...to restore something
similar to the original slope..."

OP - can you clarify please.

- principally
because it is just a boundary fence and not a retaining wall.

The worst aspect is that the OP does not appear to be talking to the
neighbour - something he should be doing rather than posting here.

Generally a good idea, but if he can't stand his neighbour, he may not wish
to and doesn't have to providing he stays within the law. It happens.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

One of the previous owners of the house raised the level of the garden,
which is what is causing the fence to lean over.
I would rather not completely revert to the original slope of the garden,
because that would make the garden less useful and maybe devalue the
property. I wouldn't mind having the proposed decking slightly lower than
the garden currently is, maybe by 30cm.
I have briefly discussed this with the neighbours, and they are quite
relaxed at present, but I'd like to know what is technically possible before
bothering them further.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrSlope wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

If any part of the deck is more than 30cm above the ground you need planning
permission., no question.

Cost of (flat) decking is between £50 & £80 a square metre. Raised decks &
difficult access will add to the cost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SNIPPED

&
difficult access will add to the cost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Hello -

What I'd effectively be doing is digging a 1 metre hole, and then putting
decking across the top. I wouldn't want any part of the decking above the
level of the ground as it is today, and would probably want it slightly
lower. Do you think planning permission be required in this case?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrSlope wrote:
SNIPPED
before bothering them further.

If any part of the deck is more than 30cm above the ground you need
planning permission., no question.

Cost of (flat) decking is between £50 & £80 a square metre. Raised
decks & difficult access will add to the cost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Hello -

What I'd effectively be doing is digging a 1 metre hole, and then
putting decking across the top. I wouldn't want any part of the
decking above the level of the ground as it is today, and would
probably want it slightly lower. Do you think planning permission be
required in this case?

Dunno to be honest, more info here
http://www.tda.org.uk/NetBuildPro/pr...gulations.html
click the link at the bottom of the page.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MrSlope
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 10:12

Hello -

One of the previous owners of the house raised the level of the garden,
which is what is causing the fence to lean over.

OK - how long has it been like that? May have a bearing on planning laws
should your neighbour get weird in the future...

I would rather not completely revert to the original slope of the garden,
because that would make the garden less useful and maybe devalue the
property. I wouldn't mind having the proposed decking slightly lower than
the garden currently is, maybe by 30cm.
I have briefly discussed this with the neighbours, and they are quite
relaxed at present, but I'd like to know what is technically possible
before bothering them further.

OK - there is another option: Build a retaining wall out of railway sleepers
(new ones, pressure treated).

You will need to set sleepers on end, or concrete posts, into the ground
about every 4 feet, well concreted in below the lowest ground level (ie
your neighbour's ground level). So you will have some holes to dig, but not
a trench.

Then lay the sleepers *on edge* between the posts and your soil bank (you
will have to obviously clear back enough soil to do this).

Overlap the joints like brickwork and screw each sleeper into the one below
using 240/250mm landscaping screws, predrilling the top sleeper and further
drilling a head clearance hole part way through so that sufficient length
of the screw goes into the lower sleeper. Screw ever 300mm or so.

A mate built a retaining wall like this which holds back about 1m of soil so
it is a proven method. Should last a fairly long time.

I expect you could do the same thing with concrete "planks" between concrete
posts. The main advantage is that you only need to sink posts rather than
trench a full strip foundation so it's easier to manage tree roots.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman
wibbled on Sunday 25 April 2010 10:41

MrSlope wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
[...]

Which ground level is the question though...

It's getting dicey, legally - which is why I asked how long the ground had
been like that. If the "new" ground level has been there long enough, the
OP's decking is merely matching that ground level.

Cost of (flat) decking is between £50 & £80 a square metre. Raised decks
& difficult access will add to the cost.

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Watts
writes

OK - there is another option: Build a retaining wall out of railway sleepers
(new ones, pressure treated).

I think the retaining wall ideas have already been covered. Unless I am
mistaken, this is the o/p from the broken "Building a retaining wall
next to trees - will it harm them ?" / "Building a retaining wall close
to trees" thread combo and helpful suggestions have been made.

As to planning permission for a deck, if the second drawing provided is
accurate, it suggests about 2m of the deck would be more than 30cm above
the level of the bank meaning planning permission would be required.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
..

If any part of the deck is more than 30cm above the ground you need planning
permission., no question.

Which bit of the ground would that be then. The bit where you piled a
meter high pile of earth?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:58:34 +0100, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Bruce brought next idea :
You've missed the point. The original ground level was at the base of
the fence. The ground level has subsequently been raised by about a
metre by the OP which has caused the fence to fail

The OP does not indicate that - my assumption was that the builder had
perhaps adjusted he level and caused the problem.

Then someone should sue the builder. Meanwhile, the neighbours are in
the dark, unless they read this newsgroup and can work out that the
anonymous poster is in fact their neighbour.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 25, 9:40*am, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:58:34 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

wrote:
Bruce brought next idea :
You've missed the point. *The original ground level was at the base of
the fence. *The ground level has subsequently been raised by about a
metre by the OP which has caused the fence to fail

The OP does not indicate that - my assumption was that the builder had
perhaps adjusted he level and caused the problem.

Then someone should sue the builder. *Meanwhile, the neighbours are in
the dark, unless they read this newsgroup and can work out that the
anonymous poster is in fact their neighbour.

Sounds like joint effort? Previuos owner/s-builder having been
responsible for altering the landscape. Problem maybe if OPs land
'founders' into neighbours either naturally or after being disturbed
by any activity at all!!!!!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2010 12:40, Bruce wrote:

Then someone should sue the builder. Meanwhile, the neighbours are in
the dark, unless they read this newsgroup and can work out that the
anonymous poster is in fact their neighbour.

You seem a bit raw. Personal experience of this?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 04:52:41 -0700 (PDT), terry
wrote:

On Apr 25, 9:40*am, Bruce wrote:
On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 09:58:34 +0100, Harry Bloomfield

wrote:
Bruce brought next idea :
You've missed the point. *The original ground level was at the base of
the fence. *The ground level has subsequently been raised by about a
metre by the OP which has caused the fence to fail

The OP does not indicate that - my assumption was that the builder had
perhaps adjusted he level and caused the problem.

Then someone should sue the builder. *Meanwhile, the neighbours are in
the dark, unless they read this newsgroup and can work out that the
anonymous poster is in fact their neighbour.

Sounds like joint effort?

That's exactly what it should be.

Previuos owner/s-builder having been
responsible for altering the landscape. Problem maybe if OPs land
'founders' into neighbours either naturally or after being disturbed
by any activity at all!!!!!

You cannot blame a previous occupant for what happens after someone
buys the house. Caveat Emptor. The current occupant's solicitor and
surveyor should have identified - and sorted - this problem before the
purchase was completed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:19:10 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 25/04/2010 12:40, Bruce wrote:

Then someone should sue the builder. Meanwhile, the neighbours are in
the dark, unless they read this newsgroup and can work out that the
anonymous poster is in fact their neighbour.

You seem a bit raw. Personal experience of this?

Yes, but probably not in the way you think. As a professional, I have
been consulted by property owners who want advice on how to develop or
"improve" their property while keeping their neighbour(s) partially
or completely in the dark. In that position, I have always declined
to accept the work.

It's good to talk. ;-)