Gluing silicon door seal to steel - sports car

Old April 22nd 10, 09:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gluing silicon door seal to steel - sports car

My wife's Mazda MX5 hard top had the door seals replaced a year ago.
They are meant to grip onto a steel rib. They didn't fit all that
well when I did the job and now they are tending to drop off fairly
frequently. Do I use ordinary silicone to glue them on or is there
some specific silicone glue?

Thanks
Rob
Old April 22nd 10, 09:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
My wife's Mazda MX5 hard top had the door seals replaced a year ago.
They are meant to grip onto a steel rib. They didn't fit all that
well when I did the job and now they are tending to drop off fairly
frequently. Do I use ordinary silicone to glue them on or is there
some specific silicone glue?

I would try an acrylic like decorators caulk/. Easy to remove if it
dioesnt work and its less messy.

Thanks
Rob

Old April 22nd 10, 11:26 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would try an acrylic like decorators caulk/. Easy to remove if it
dioesnt work and its less messy.

And it's absolutely the wrong compound to use for this application.
Old April 22nd 10, 11:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
My wife's Mazda MX5 hard top had the door seals replaced a year ago.
They are meant to grip onto a steel rib. They didn't fit all that
well when I did the job and now they are tending to drop off fairly
frequently. Do I use ordinary silicone to glue them on or is there
some specific silicone glue?

Something like this
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.js...LAID=266887903

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old April 22nd 10, 11:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would try an acrylic like decorators caulk/. Easy to remove if it
dioesnt work and its less messy.

And it's absolutely the wrong compound to use for this application.

Worked well for me.

However, as we all know, you know so much about everything that your
head is not big enough to contain your brain, which is why most of your
thoughts dribble out of your arse.

Old April 22nd 10, 11:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I would try an acrylic like decorators caulk/. Easy to remove if it
dioesnt work and its less messy.

And it's absolutely the wrong compound to use for this application.

Worked well for me.

Yes of course it did, and the moon is made of green cheese.

There may be life forms out there thicker than you, but if there are,
science hasn't discovered them yet.
Old April 23rd 10, 01:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember robgraham
saying something like:

Do I use ordinary silicone to glue them on or is there
some specific silicone glue?

For many automotive applications, Sikaflex tend to have the adhesive of
choice.
Old April 23rd 10, 07:33 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

For many automotive applications, Sikaflex tend to have the adhesive of
choice.

A good choice, Sikaflex is a polyurethane adhesive/sealant and will
stand up well to the conditions encountered by a vehicle. Silicon
sealant should also work well and has the advantage that it can be
cleaned from bodywork with white spirit (or tar remover) without
damaging paintwork.

A polyurethane adhesive such as Gorilla glue should work but it foams
and is IMO unsuitable for vehicle applications. Sikaflex doesn't foam
and stays where it is put.

Water-based domestic acrylic sealant is the choice of fools.
Old April 23rd 10, 08:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

For many automotive applications, Sikaflex tend to have the adhesive of
choice.

A good choice, Sikaflex is a polyurethane adhesive/sealant and will
stand up well to the conditions encountered by a vehicle. Silicon
sealant should also work well and has the advantage that it can be
cleaned from bodywork with white spirit (or tar remover) without
damaging paintwork.

A polyurethane adhesive such as Gorilla glue should work but it foams
and is IMO unsuitable for vehicle applications. Sikaflex doesn't foam
and stays where it is put.

I'd found Evostick Serious excellent on a variety of materials around the
car that others barf at. Think it is also a polyurethane glue - but easily
available from your local shed.

Water-based domestic acrylic sealant is the choice of fools.

I'd agree there. Wouldn't even think of trying it.

--
*I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old April 23rd 10, 09:51 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

[...]

If you want just enough adhesion to hold a rubber strip in place and
the ability to not leave smears of impossible to remove glue everywhere
else, its an ideal choice.

What is needed is more mastic than glue in this case. Just enough to
stop it all falling off.

If you want serious adhesion a contact adhesive like evostkik works
well. But you have no shuffling time.