Making a door for my garden gate

Old April 21st 10, 12:39 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

Default Making a door for my garden gate

Hi
I need to buy some materials to make a 'full size' door for my new garden
gate.

The fixed parts of the gate are featheredge.

Now for the door I could make my Z frame and then have featheredge on the
other side to match the rest of the gate or I could just use plane
rectangular strips. Any reason to choose oen over the other?

Obviously I want the door to be fairly light to put less strain on the
frame.

Which material is the best? I will be painting it brown with fence panel
paint stuff to match my fence panels.

Also, when I make my Z frame how do I get it to stay together BEFORE I put
the 'covering' on?

i.e if you look here, this is similar to what i might do -
http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....hed-door-5.jpg

https://www.nextdaydiy.com/doors-win...s-19805/gates-
19819/external-knotty-ledged-braced-4554-1223_zoom.jpg

Would you make the frame first then put the rest of the door on or do it
all as you go? Is it glue initally holding the frame together, i don't see
any screws apart from those going into the main part of the door??
Old April 21st 10, 07:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

i.e if you look here, this is similar to what i might do -http://www.secrets-of-shed-building.com/images/storage-shed-door-5.jpg

https://www.nextdaydiy.com/doors-win...s-19805/gates-
19819/external-knotty-ledged-braced-4554-1223_zoom.jpg

Would you make the frame first then put the rest of the door on or do it
all as you go? Is it glue initally holding the frame together, i don't see
any screws apart from those going into the main part of the door??

I would use tongue and groove floor boarding to make the gate. I would
assemble the boards and then screw them to the Z frame. The tongue and
groove should be stiff enough to hold it together on the ground while
you do that. It would be very hard to do this with featheredge boards.

Jonathan
Old April 21st 10, 10:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
[...]

I prefer a lightweight door with 2" x 1" slats, which gives you privacy,
but doesn't blow about in the wind or block the light.
Old April 21st 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
Hi
I need to buy some materials to make a 'full size' door for my new
garden gate.

Assume you mean new garden shed, not gate?

The fixed parts of the gate are featheredge.

Now for the door I could make my Z frame and then have featheredge on
the other side to match the rest of the gate or I could just use plane
rectangular strips. Any reason to choose oen over the other?

F/E is available treated to resist rot. I make a lot of garden gates out of
F/E. Ledges & braces can be 100 x 19 treated or 150mm gravel boards.

Obviously I want the door to be fairly light to put less strain on the
frame.

Which material is the best? I will be painting it brown with fence
panel paint stuff to match my fence panels.

Also, when I make my Z frame how do I get it to stay together BEFORE
I put the 'covering' on?

i.e if you look here, this is similar to what i might do -
http://www.secrets-of-shed-building....hed-door-5.jpg

https://www.nextdaydiy.com/doors-win...s-19805/gates-
19819/external-knotty-ledged-braced-4554-1223_zoom.jpg

Would you make the frame first then put the rest of the door on or do
it all as you go? Is it glue initally holding the frame together, i
don't see any screws apart from those going into the main part of the
door??

Measure the width of the opening & deduct around 10mm for clearance. Cut 3
horizontal ledges this size & lay them out on a flat surface in the position
you want them.

Take 1 piece of F/E slightly longer than the finished height & screw it to
the ledges using a square to ensure all is at right angles, 2 screws in each
ledge.

Loose lay the rest of the F/E across the ledges & adjust until you have a
roughly even overlap. Now make a 'spacer' to this gap size. Use this to
keep the overlap even. Screw boards to ledges so the last board overlaps
the length of the ledges slightly.

Turn the whole lot over. Lay out 2 pieces in position for the braces, mark
where they meet the ledges, join the lines & cut the angle carefully. Screw
in from other side.

Trim top, bottom & edge to final size with circular saw.

HTH

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old April 22nd 10, 02:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
mo wrote:
[...]

One this no-one's mentioned is that the braces need to "point" the right
way, with the base near the hinge and the top on the latch side. For a
really quality job notch the ledge a little (say 10mm) where the brace will
meet it so the end of the brace sits in the notch.

Old April 23rd 10, 12:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
[...]

Very true. Surprising how many gates one see's with the brace's pointing
the wrong way.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old April 23rd 10, 07:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Framed-Ledge...te/invt/187709

Somehting liek that but without the frame aroudn the edges maybe

ANyone recommend a specific type of screw to use to put it together and a
hinge kit?

I spose I can go to Wickes and look at theiroutdoor wood section
Old May 25th 10, 09:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

I bought 2 large T hinges

Whats the best way to fit them?

Onto the post first or onto the door first?

I have left a bit of space on either side of the door to fit between the
posts.

Old May 25th 10, 09:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

mo wrote:
I bought 2 large T hinges

Good, that's a start.

Whats the best way to fit them?

With screws - preferably rust-resistant ones - and don't forget to fit a
gate catch as well!

Onto the post first or onto the door first?

Generally you fit them on the "door" first and then the gate jamb.

I have left a bit of space on either side of the door to fit between
the posts.

Now that's a good idea, that'll save you having to initially plane them to
fit - and then it also allows room for the 'door' to swell during rainy
weather.

Mo, I seem to have missed something here, is this an extra to a post to one
that you have made about making a garden gate and want advice to fit it...or
something else?

Now presuming that it's about fitting a T&G garden gate, then make sure that
the hinges are screwed on the ledges (the horizontal bits) and that any
braces (the angled bits) run upwards from the hanging side to the slamming
side to take the downward force of the front of the gate and prevent it
dragging the ground after a while.

Now feel free to give any more information that would get you a definitive
answer

Cash

Old May 25th 10, 10:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
mo

"Cash" wrote in
:

mo wrote:
I bought 2 large T hinges

Good, that's a start.

[...]

Yes I am making a garden gate (or door) and just wanted to know how to
fit it. I have bought all the bits and will be putting them together
tomorrow as described above.

http://www.oakdoorsnfloors.co.uk/ima...brace-door.jpg

Garden Gate Post DavidM UK diy 7 November 21st 08 12:11 PM
Z Bar Garden gate no name UK diy 3 October 10th 07 05:31 PM
Garden gate samson Woodworking 2 July 2nd 07 04:33 AM
Garden Gate David Lang UK diy 1 July 13th 05 10:44 PM