Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fridge-freezer problem.

Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and over temperature
the alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't maintain -18C when
using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with the leaving the door
open, or could that have broken something?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grumps wrote:
Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and over temperature
the alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't maintain -18C when
using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with the leaving the door
open, or could that have broken something?

If its a frost free, a defrost cycle should sort it. Give it 24hrs to
hopefully fix itself, if not defrost manually.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and the over
temperature
alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't maintain -18C when
using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with the leaving the
door
open, or could that have broken something?

If its a frost free, a defrost cycle should sort it. Give it 24hrs to
hopefully fix itself, if not defrost manually.

It is. We've never done a manual defrost, just left it alone.
So the defrost cycle is automatic? What does it do? Am I being stupid?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
"NT" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and the over
temperature
alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't maintain -18C when
using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with the leaving the
door
open, or could that have broken something?

If its a frost free, a defrost cycle should sort it. Give it 24hrs to
hopefully fix itself, if not defrost manually.

It is. We've never done a manual defrost, just left it alone.
So the defrost cycle is automatic? What does it do? Am I being stupid?

The auto defrost either has a heater wrapped around the cooling part inside
the unit, so when the defrost is activated, it stops cooling and the heaters
melt the ice quickly - or the freezer has a valve in the refrigeration
plumbing that will reverse the process, so the inside is heated and the
outside is cooled for a short time, melting the ice.

They don't always melt it all though, and you can get a build up gradually,
that turning it off and letting it all melt is the only real solution.

I had to the this exact thing with my 5 year old frost free freezer a couple
of days ago (first time I have had to do it) - luckily we have a spare chest
freezer we just moved everything to and then turned the main one off
overnight with the door open, stuffed with a few towels to absorb the water
(which wasn't actually that much to my surprise)

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and over
temperature the alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't
maintain -18C when using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with
the leaving the door open, or could that have broken something?

I expect as all the food has been warmed up, the freezer hasn't completed
freezing it all the way through - I would put it on super freeze (usually
takes it down to about -24) overnight, put it back on eco, and see if that
solves it.

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
"NT" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Ffffs do a defrost cycle every 8-24 hrs. If its timed it probably wont
clear it, if defrost end is determined by a thermostat it will.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
Toby wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
"NT" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
[...]

Even if it is by thermostat, then the stat can only sense where the probe
is, there still may be buildup somewhere in the system.

Toby...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toby wrote:
"NT" wrote in message
Toby wrote:
"Grumps" wrote in message
"NT" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
[...]

The place that ices up is the evaporator, which is a big metal
heatsink. There wont be much temp gradient across that, and the
defrost stat is designed to wait till its warm enough to ensure its
clear.

Timed defrost cycles are designed to handle daily icing, and tend to
quit too soon to clear an overnight open door.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message

"Grumps" wrote in message
Hi
The freezer door of our Bosch was left open last night, and over
temperature the alarm sounded a few hours later. Now the unit can't
maintain -18C when using its 'ECO' mode. Is that just a coincidence with
the leaving the door open, or could that have broken something?

I expect as all the food has been warmed up, the freezer hasn't completed
freezing it all the way through - I would put it on super freeze (usually
takes it down to about -24) overnight, put it back on eco, and see if that
solves it.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
Super freeze has been on for a day and a bit, and it's still stuck at -18C.
It just doesn't want to go any lower.
A job for the weekend to give it a manual defrost I think.

Fridge/freezer problem Dave Baker UK diy 15 February 13th 09 02:12 PM
HOTPOINT FRIDGE/FREEZER PROBLEM John UK diy 3 September 27th 06 08:58 PM
Problem with a fridge freezer Jimadebo Home Repair 3 May 18th 06 01:16 AM
Fridge/freezer problem John UK diy 8 February 16th 04 09:10 AM
Problem with Fridge Freezer [email protected] UK diy 1 July 29th 03 09:23 PM