N. Thornton

Default New roof; slate or tiled

(TonyJeffs) wrote in message . com...

I have a mid terraced house & I've finally convinced myslef to get a
new roof.

Either, I can have the slate removed, the roof felted and reslated,
thereby having a quality slate roof, *but there'll be a join either
side*.
Or I can get it tiled, interlocking with the neighbours' roofs and
having no joins.

Which do people think is best?

All the other houses on our block have had the slates replaced with
modern tiles, some recent, others long time ago, so the rafters must
be strong enough.

That doesn't follow. It improves the odds, but by no means does it
mean it must be strong enough.

More info:
I'm currently the only house on the block with slate. All the others
have red tiles.
I think slates over felt are best (I'd need 20% replacement slate),
But the fact that I would be able to interlock tiles with my
neighbours, thereby avoiding part-line joins is swaying me towards
tiles.

I wuoldn't assume the tiles will be the right width to slot in just
right myself. Chance says theyre more likely not to be. Now I've never
done tile roofing, only slate, so if that's wrong perhaps a tiler will
tell us.

But all in all from what you say it sounds like there are more points
in favour of slates. Cheaper too, if you only need to buy 20% of what
you need. And longer lived as well. And no structural iffies. The only
minor negative is you'll need to make a standard joint.

Regards, NT