Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable Telephone

Not a diy question but I am sure that I can get an answer here.
If I am going to cable telephone installed what route does the cable take
from the street into the existing telephone system in the house. Is it the
shortest route underground to the front of the house then around the outside
wall into the existing land line cable into the master box or is some other
route possible. My front garden is currently excavated pending a block
paving drive being fitted.
The ground is covered with hardcore and the MOT layer. Can they bring the
cable in by excavating the MOT diagonally across the front garden then bring
the cable under the floor of the porch then go into the existing cable into
the master box.
That would avoid clipping cable to the outside wall of the house but would
the cable company do anything else.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

Not a diy question but I am sure that I can get an answer here.
If I am going to cable telephone installed what route does the cable take
from the street into the existing telephone system in the house. Is it
the shortest route underground to the front of the house then around the
outside wall into the existing land line cable into the master box or is
some other route possible.

I've just had mine done and the chaps were quite happy to discuss all
sorts of options. They bury the cable in a green 1" tube and, in my case,
after burying it in the garden, they cut out a trench across a concrete
path (albeit along an existing join) and filled it in with quick-setting
mortar.

That said, they DO like to pin it to the wall wherever they can; it's much
quicker for them!

--
brianlj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian L Johnson" wrote in message
newsp.u9toc6df0v1caa@thedell...
Kevin wrote:

[...]

Yes that is what I expected. Shortest route down the garden then clip to the
wall. Although it will be slightly longer I am hoping to get them to come
diagonally across the garden. They only need to dig into the MOT sub base as
the the block paving hasn't been laid yet.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Not a diy question but I am sure that I can get an answer here.
If I am going to cable telephone installed what route does the cable take
from the street into the existing telephone system in the house. Is it the
shortest route underground to the front of the house then around the
outside wall into the existing land line cable into the master box or is
some other route possible. My front garden is currently excavated pending
a block paving drive being fitted.
The ground is covered with hardcore and the MOT layer. Can they bring the
cable in by excavating the MOT diagonally across the front garden then
bring the cable under the floor of the porch then go into the existing
cable into the master box.
That would avoid clipping cable to the outside wall of the house but would
the cable company do anything else.

A Zen leaver? A rare sight indeed! ;-)

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:

[...]

The actual distance is immaterial to them; the effort and time taken is
all that counts. The cost of a few metres of coax is trivial in
comparison to the labour cost.

If you do run into problems though and they dig their heels in over the
cable routing, you can be sure that a few beer vouchers will solve the
issue PDQ!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 laid this down on his screen :
[...]

Just scrounge a bit of their green ducting and lay it in the ground
where you, want it to run. Just make sure the route is not too
tortuous and include some sort of draw wire inside, so they can use it
to pull their cable through the duct.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes

Just scrounge a bit of their green ducting and lay it in the ground
where you, want it to run. Just make sure the route is not too
tortuous and include some sort of draw wire inside, so they can use it
to pull their cable through the duct.

I did just that when I was having the drive done. Ran a 4" duct under
it from the side of the road up to the outside of the lounge window
where there is an air brick. Then had the good luck to meet the NTL
surveyor who was marking the pavement prior to installing the ducting
for cable. Not only got him to mark a spot next to my duct for his
access but also to put in an extra one for the annexe. When the install
guy arrived he was quite happy, very happy in fact, to use my duct. So
was I, no way was he going to cut up my new tarmac!!
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes

Just scrounge a bit of their green ducting and lay it in the ground
where you, want it to run. Just make sure the route is not too
tortuous and include some sort of draw wire inside, so they can use it
to pull their cable through the duct.

I did just that when I was having the drive done. Ran a 4" duct under
it from the side of the road up to the outside of the lounge window
where there is an air brick. Then had the good luck to meet the NTL
surveyor who was marking the pavement prior to installing the ducting
for cable. Not only got him to mark a spot next to my duct for his
access but also to put in an extra one for the annexe. When the install
guy arrived he was quite happy, very happy in fact, to use my duct. So
was I, no way was he going to cut up my new tarmac!!

In contrast to e.g. government departments, commercial companies are
only too happy to have usable ducts with draw wires supplied to them for
installation of their services.

I've laid telephone wires as well..and had BT connect them up.

A chat with the local installers will usually result in success, or at
least a referral to the manager who is in charge or routing etc.

Whe I undergrounded the overahead 11kV across the back garden, the
electricity company were brutally explicit. They had so much budget to
underground existing lines: If I wanted it done, it was up to me to
make this bit more cost effective than any other bit they might have
tackled. I.e. pay more than half.

The farmer was delighted to trade a bit of headlannd for end-of line
stays, and remove poles from his fields..

I provided a concrete pad for a substation, and undergrounded an
incoming feed to the house and they laid the 11KV, plonked a huge
transformer on my slab, connected to my cable and hooked that to my
meter and main fuse.

All discussed in advance, planned well, and implemented FAIRLY well. A
large truck using my verge as a passing place must have pushed a stone
into the 11KV cos it blew eventually, necessitating a diesel generator
the size of the garage to power the house for two weeks while they
repaired it..;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
The actual distance is immaterial to them; the effort and time taken is
all that counts. The cost of a few metres of coax is trivial in
comparison to the labour cost.

Where someone wants CATV in the rear room of a mid-terrace house, I've known
them pin a long coax cable up the front, sling the loose cable over the apex
of the roof, and pin down the back. Minimal drilling required :-S

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Whitworth" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
[...]

No I am ****ed off with BT, to bloody long arguements with them this week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the BT link I can understand. They are the fly in the Zen ointment! :-(

JW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message

No I am ****ed off with BT, to bloody long arguements with them this week.

Best of luck to you, if you think cable is better than BT you may be
disappointed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"Zen83237" wrote in message

No I am ****ed off with BT, to bloody long arguements with them this week.

Best of luck to you, if you think cable is better than BT you may be
disappointed.

I'm not .. Three cable lines since 1996 and never a fault and the BB is
absolutely constant. I pay for 10 meg and get that all the time..

There are a lot round here who wish they lived in cabled areas who
suffer the constraints of ADSL over copper. One less then two miles away
is lucky to get a consistent 250 K and on most of the time!....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message

No I am ****ed off with BT, to bloody long arguements with them this
week.

Best of luck to you, if you think cable is better than BT you may be
disappointed.

Well that may be but I really can't see how anything can be worse than the
f*****s at BT. In fact all this week has been good for dumping **** taking
companies. Vodafone and Nationwide have got the boot as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Not a diy question but I am sure that I can get an answer here.
If I am going to cable telephone installed what route does the cable take
from the street into the existing telephone system in the house. Is it the
shortest route underground to the front of the house then around the
outside wall into the existing land line cable into the master box or is
some other route possible. My front garden is currently excavated pending
a block paving drive being fitted.
The ground is covered with hardcore and the MOT layer. Can they bring the
cable in by excavating the MOT diagonally across the front garden then
bring the cable under the floor of the porch then go into the existing
cable into the master box.
That would avoid clipping cable to the outside wall of the house but would
the cable company do anything else.

If you phone BT New Developments dept .. they will give you grey Telecom
ducting and bends for free .......... put them in place with a pull string
in ducting ... you can go any route you like .... put a marker tape above it
during backfill.

Usually you stop short of BT manhole and then put in the final piece of duct
into manhole and pull cable through.

I run mine to appear inside my comms cabinet in study ....... BT happy to
pull cable through to that .......... no need for any cable affixed to wall
if you put the duct in place.

telephone cable Stephen[_6_] UK diy 9 October 5th 09 02:31 PM
telephone cable colours Stephen[_6_] UK diy 5 September 15th 09 12:18 AM
Cat 5e telephone cable? John Carlyle-Clarke UK diy 29 June 18th 06 09:16 PM
telephone extension cable Neil UK diy 22 December 28th 05 04:04 PM
Telephone cable - which one do I need? JoeJoe UK diy 8 June 11th 05 04:35 PM