Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default mobile phone ring tones

Wife wants a ring tone putting on her phone. The ring tone is the Scout
song Ging Gang Goolie etc. The phone is a Nokia 6303, but the manual
does not mention putting ring tones onto it. It has been suggested that
I use the recorder facility on the phone, but I'm no too sure.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Wife wants a ring tone putting on her phone. The ring tone is the Scout
song Ging Gang Goolie etc.

Time for a divorce?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Mar, 16:11, Dave wrote:
Wife wants a ring tone putting on her phone.

You need three things to do this easily:
* A phone that plays MP3s, not just magic ringtone files (anything
mainstream in the last few years)
* A phone that connects easily to a desktop PC (anything in the last
few years)
* Minimal fiddling

Download a copy of Audacity as a sound editor.

Find an MP3 of the whole song, or make your own by recording a
jamboree (I presume that if you want this, you know where to obtain
it)

Slice it up into 20 seconds or so with Audacity, just to save a bit of
space.

Upload it to the phone. Most phones (and probably a 6303, although I
don't know how old that is) support some sort of USB / Bluetooth /
memory card that will allow you to connect them to a PC well enough to
do a simpel file transfer. The target directory is important and will
be the one with the ringtone samples in it.

Fiddle with the phone's own menus to choose the track you want.

If it's a recent Nokia, you put contact names into "groups" and attach
the ringtone to a group, not to individual numbers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave wrote:
Wife wants a ring tone putting on her phone. The ring tone is the
Scout song Ging Gang Goolie etc.

Time for a divorce?

Could I afford it?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Mar, 16:11, Dave wrote:
Wife wants a ring tone putting on her phone.

You need three things to do this easily:
* A phone that plays MP3s, not just magic ringtone files (anything
mainstream in the last few years)
* A phone that connects easily to a desktop PC (anything in the last
few years)
* Minimal fiddling

Download a copy of Audacity as a sound editor.

I've got that. It was used to remove the verbal intro from the music.

Find an MP3 of the whole song, or make your own by recording a
jamboree (I presume that if you want this, you know where to obtain
it)

I've got an edited version of what she wants.

Slice it up into 20 seconds or so with Audacity, just to save a bit of
space.

Yes, I did wonder about the length.

Upload it to the phone. Most phones (and probably a 6303, although I
don't know how old that is)

Only a couple of months I think.

support some sort of USB / Bluetooth /
memory card that will allow you to connect them to a PC well enough to
do a simpel file transfer. The target directory is important and will
be the one with the ringtone samples in it.

She doesn't have a USB lead for it, but I do have a bluetooth and
infrared dongles.

Fiddle with the phone's own menus to choose the track you want.

If it's a recent Nokia, you put contact names into "groups" and attach
the ringtone to a group, not to individual numbers.

Noted all and I'll print it out for later

Many thanks

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Dave" wrote in message
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Mar, 16:11, Dave wrote:
[...]

It does have a mini USB connector

Fiddle with the phone's own menus to choose the track you want.

i.e. upload it to the memory (or better still spend a fiver on a 2 Gb Micro
SD card).

Within the phone software, navigate to the folder you saved it to, and when
you've found it, select the 'Options' button. Scroll down to the 'use tone'
option and select 'Set as Ringing tone'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:

snip

She doesn't have a USB lead for it, but I do have a bluetooth and
infrared dongles.

It does have a mini USB connector

Yes, and I have found the connector in the box. I just need to find my
USB extension cable now.

Fiddle with the phone's own menus to choose the track you want.

i.e. upload it to the memory (or better still spend a fiver on a 2 Gb
Micro SD card).

I've located the slot for it. Can I pre-load the card with the ring tone
prior to fitting it? I have a reader / writer adaptor that will accept
the card and plug into my computer.

Within the phone software, navigate to the folder you saved it to, and
when you've found it, select the 'Options' button. Scroll down to the
'use tone' option and select 'Set as Ringing tone'.

I'll have a play with it when I am feeling a bit better, I have a bad
chest at the moment.

Thanks for your help and time

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My nokia can take the ringtone from any folder on it.
And although its possible to have separate ringtones for groups or
individuals
its easier just to set it as the default ringtone for General mode.

My ringtone is Summertime.

Dave wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 12 Mar, 16:11, Dave wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george [dicegeorge] wrote:
My nokia can take the ringtone from any folder on it.
And although its possible to have separate ringtones for groups or
individuals
its easier just to set it as the default ringtone for General mode.

My ringtone is Summertime.

As I can't find the ring tone on my computer, I'll make a new one and
put it onto a memory stick and get our son to do it. It's the easiest
way for me :-)

No comebacks, no hassle :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Dave" wrote in message
OG wrote:

snip

She doesn't have a USB lead for it, but I do have a bluetooth and
infrared dongles.

It does have a mini USB connector

Yes, and I have found the connector in the box. I just need to find my USB
extension cable now.

Fiddle with the phone's own menus to choose the track you want.

i.e. upload it to the memory (or better still spend a fiver on a 2 Gb
Micro SD card).

I've located the slot for it. Can I pre-load the card with the ring tone
prior to fitting it? I have a reader / writer adaptor that will accept the
card and plug into my computer.

Yes, you can do that. No problems. You can also pre-load some podcasts/music
files as well.

Within the phone software, navigate to the folder you saved it to, and
when you've found it, select the 'Options' button. Scroll down to the
'use tone' option and select 'Set as Ringing tone'.

I'll have a play with it when I am feeling a bit better, I have a bad
chest at the moment.

Not good.

Thanks for your help and time

No problem.

I don't know about you, but if you're interested . . .
at first I didn't see the point of using the Nokia Suite to synch with my
PC, but after suffering a dropped phone which threatened to lose all my
saved contacts and calendar entries I think I see the point now.

If you ever lose or damage your phone beyond repair, you can backup
everything from your computer.

In my case I'd cracked the screen, but using the software and the USB cable
I could read and reply to emails without relying on the phone's screen.

The software also synchs with Outlook, so you can keep track of
diary/calendar entries on your phone or on your PC.

Oh, and if you do damage your screen - there are city centre repair places
that will do it for about £30, but for lots of popular phones you can buy
replacement screens for less than £20.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"OG" wrote in message

In my case I'd cracked the screen, but using the software and the USB
cable I could read and reply to emails without relying on the phone's
screen.

meant to write 'texts' rather than 'emails'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

OG wrote:

I don't know about you, but if you're interested . . .
at first I didn't see the point of using the Nokia Suite to synch with
my PC, but after suffering a dropped phone which threatened to lose all
my saved contacts and calendar entries I think I see the point now.

If you ever lose or damage your phone beyond repair, you can backup
everything from your computer.

In my case I'd cracked the screen, but using the software and the USB
cable I could read and reply to emails without relying on the phone's
screen.

The software also synchs with Outlook, so you can keep track of
diary/calendar entries on your phone or on your PC.

Oh, and if you do damage your screen - there are city centre repair
places that will do it for about £30, but for lots of popular phones you
can buy replacement screens for less than £20.

Many thanks for that info. I never thought about using it that way. I
have some ones dead phone in front of me at the moment. I'm going to
have a play with that later.

Back to the ring tone, wife is a happy bunny now. I stripped out the
part of the song she wanted and edited it and our son put it onto her
phone as an MP3. The only problem I had was that Audacity could not
export the ring tone as MP3, so I had to download a DLL.

Many thanks to all who have contributed to this project.

Dave