Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lattice fence above brick wall

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix
uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that
supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

BFFFB
BWWB
BWWB
BWWB
BWWB
WW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

What do you mean by "damage"? If you are excluding using wall plugs to fix
uprights on one side, I suppose you could fabricate a structure that
supports a vertical batten on each side that then holds the fence upright

I meant something like drilling vertically through the wall
to install an upright in the middle of the wall -
I'd be worried that that might pull the wall down in a gale.

My thought had been to do exactly what you suggest,
attach wooden uprights to my side of the wall.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

I'm afraid I didn't follow this.
What exactly is "resin fixing",
and what would I be fixing?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

Bizzo fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion,
drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your
sister than pull one out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

I'm afraid I didn't follow this.
What exactly is "resin fixing",
and what would I be fixing?

I think we are assuming you will be fixing timber uprights to your side of
the wall?

Read the reviews here for info
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/31582/...l#BVRRWidgetID

Bit OTT for your job IMO. Steve was saying though, that normal plugs, which
expand, can cause bricks to crack, especially near edges.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/101217/Fixings/Multi-Monti

Bizzo fixings. Drill through timber into brick, no plug, no expansion,
drive straight in with drill driver. Easier to pull a sailor off your
sister than pull one out.

Thanks for both your explanations.
These look useful; I'd never heard of them.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

Resin fixing will avoid expansion force

Or Multi Monties/Montys.

Sorry, what are these?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Multi Monti's are brilliant, plus you can put them quite close to the edge
of brick or stonework. You must use exactly the right size masonry drill
though; it's easy to drill too large and then you have no grip.

But if you are asking whether the fence could pull the wall down in a wind,
you need to say if it is single or double brick, whether there are piers,
how high the fence needs to be, how exposed is the site, and how "open" is
the lattice.

If you are trying to mount (say) 500 mm on top of a double brick wall you
might get away with bits of rebar set into vertical holes. If you are after
2 m high lattice on a single skin wall you'd better mount it off (say) 75 mm
square posts set into the ground (metposts?)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I want to install a wooden lattice fence
on top of a brick wall.
The wall is about 75cm high and 3.5m long.
What is the best way to do this without damaging the brick wall?

But if you are asking whether the fence could pull the wall down in a
wind, you need to say if it is single or double brick, whether there are
piers, how high the fence needs to be, how exposed is the site, and how
"open" is the lattice.

It's a strong double brick wall with piers.
I think I'd like the lattice to be about 1m high (above the wall).
I think I'll attach 4in posts to my side of the wall to hold the lattice.